Home

Why do foreigners think that soccer is more exciting to watch than football?

This is a discussion on Why do foreigners think that soccer is more exciting to watch than football? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Why do foreigners think that soccer is more exciting to watch than football?

One thing I never understood is why our sports aren't watched overseas like our movies and entertainment are. Even more puzzling is why foreigners watch soccer, soccer is so boring and lame, nothing happens in soccer. I just don't get it, how can you be excited over a 1-0 game? Theres only 1 goals scored, nothing happens the rest of the time! Its like 89 minutes of tedious boredom, with maybe 5 seconds of action when the goal is scored. On the other hand the NFL is non-stop awesome action of masculinity and toughness and big hits where huge men wearing war armor get pounded hard and score 7 times more points.

So what's up with that, why do foreigners think football is boring and soccer is exciting when its the other way around?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Why do foreigners think that soccer is more exciting to watch than football?

probably because no one ever listened to your expert analysis of why it is so boring.

Dude, there is so much wrong with your post. I personally don't like soccer either, but to have this attitude towards it is just wrong.

I will give you a short answer. Personal Preference.

And remember to the rest of the world, we are the foreigners that don't like their great sport.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Why do foreigners think that soccer is more exciting to watch than football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
One thing I never understood is why our sports aren't watched overseas like our movies and entertainment are. Even more puzzling is why foreigners watch soccer, soccer is so boring and lame, nothing happens in soccer. I just don't get it, how can you be excited over a 1-0 game? Theres only 1 goals scored, nothing happens the rest of the time! Its like 89 minutes of tedious boredom, with maybe 5 seconds of action when the goal is scored. On the other hand the NFL is non-stop awesome action of masculinity and toughness and big hits where huge men wearing war armor get pounded hard and score 7 times more points.

So what's up with that, why do foreigners think football is boring and soccer is exciting when its the other way around?

I'm guessing you never watched soccer.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

I'm guessing you have no idea what soccer is.

Quote:
On the other hand the NFL is non-stop awesome action of masculinity and toughness and big hits where huge men wearing war armor get pounded hard
LOL.

Where's Dook when you need him?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Th*s F*c* C*sh*s Ch*cks

ezekiel55's Arena

OVR: 26

I dont even know where to begin with that post....so I wont.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

I think everyone has different taste, there are some people in the US that prefer soccer to football, so it really can't be definitively said that football is exciting and soccer is boring and foreigners just don't get it.

That being said, I do agree with the basic idea of your statement that soccer can be relatively boring because of the lack of scoring, while the NFL is more exciting and entertaining.

I think there are probably a few things that makes the NFL not as appealing overseas.
  • There is so much stoppage of play. In soccer the clock always continues to run, and that's what they're use to, so it seems like it might be difficult to get use to a sport like football where they play for seconds, stop, play for seconds again, and stop.
  • It's difficult to care about something that you have no attachment to. It's great to enjoy sports, but it's easier to enjoy it if you're attached to a team or the sport in some way. For instance if you have a favorite team, or a local team, or someone to talk to about the sport. If you don't have any of those it's probably difficult to find a reason to care, and without reason to care, why watch. Probably why American's don't watch much soccer, since our MLS soccer is horrible, and there's no attachment to any of the teams in the more entertaining leagues.
  • The rules are difficult to understand. I can't think of a sport with more rules than football, and some of the rules are silly. Being an American and growing up with the sport you generally just learn it growing up, but I can see where it would be kind of confusing to people who have no idea what's going on.
  • It's probably not readily available in other countries. It's difficult to find good flip through the TV here and find good soccer matches, so I'd imagine it's the same situation over seas that you can't just flip through the television and find football on to watch, you actually have to seek it out. And for the reasons stated above, it's probably not something they're going to seek out.

Last edited by Fetter21; 03-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Football isn't as exciting as most make it out to be. Commercials ftl.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I don't like soccer all that much except during World Cup time but I can see and know the appeal for it so I don't disrespect anyone that loves that sport. The OP goes off on a weird tangent there that sounded slightly homo-erotic when talking about football LOL

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »