Home

Will statford lead detriot back to the glory days?

This is a discussion on Will statford lead detriot back to the glory days? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
MVP

loccdogg26's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Will statford lead detriot back to the glory days?

It doesn't matter his @$$ is on the bench next season. I'm pissed about pick 20. With all the help they need on defense or oline they draft a freaking TE.

Last edited by loccdogg26; 04-27-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #34
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Will statford lead detriot back to the glory days?

I don't get the Pettigrew hate. This guy could be the best tight end we've had in Detroit since maybe Charlie Sanders. Pettigrew is a flat out beast. He has reliable hands, and on the blocking end he has owned Orakpo whenever they went head up in Texas vs. Oklahoma State games.

I said before that the TE position is absolutely critical in Scott Linehan's offense. They have to be complete types who can block and catch passes, and not necessarily have to be speed demons. Just go back to how Jim Kleinsasser was utilized on the Vikings or Randy McMichael during the year he became a Pro Bowl player on the Dolphins while Linehan was offensive coordinator at those times. Linehan's M.O. is a power run game and deep/intermediate passes off play action with occasional max protect schemes. It's possible to line Pettigrew up next to Gosder Cherilus on the right side of the o-line and maul teams with the run, or use him to occasionally line up on the left side next to Jeff Backus to either help pass protect or release and go out on a pass route. Pettigrew's skill set is comparable to Jay Novacek.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 04-27-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #35
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Culpepper will be behind center for the upcoming season so no, Stafford won't be leading the Lions anywhere. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win 6 games though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #36
Pro

Lordcledus's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
North of Indianolopolis, east of Omaho, and just south of Canada City.
But remember according to the OP, Indianapolis is in southern Indiana.

XBL: Lordcledus

Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #37
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
I don't get the Pettigrew hate. This guy could be the best tight end we've had in Detroit since maybe Charlie Sanders. Pettigrew is a flat out beast. He has reliable hands, and on the blocking end he has owned Orakpo whenever they went head up in Texas vs. Oklahoma State games.

I said before that the TE position is absolutely critical in Scott Linehan's offense. They have to be complete types who can block and catch passes, and not necessarily have to be speed demons. Just go back to how Jim Kleinsasser was utilized on the Vikings or Randy McMichael during the year he became a Pro Bowl player on the Dolphins while Linehan was offensive coordinator at those times. Linehan's M.O. is a power run game and deep/intermediate passes off play action with occasional max protect schemes. It's possible to line Pettigrew up next to Gosder Cherilus on the right side of the o-line and maul teams with the run, or use him to occasionally line up on the left side next to Jeff Backus to either help pass protect or release and go out on a pass route. Pettigrew's skill set is comparable to Jay Novacek.

Kruza
Yeah...I didn't hate the move since he is a good blocking TE too...That helps the O-Line too, depending on the play.

I think it's too much to as of anyone to take Detroit back to the glory days, but Stafford seems like a good kid and hopefully he can be a decent QB. Anything more than that will require smart future moves by the coaches and front office, takes a team to win championships.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #38
MVP

loccdogg26's Arena

OVR: 15

I'm not hating just wondering.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #39

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Matthew not starting? I figured with all the money they paid him that he would play this year. I was a little skeptical in why they didn't get a LT early like oher or someone to get the Oline better.

So Stafford sits this year?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #40
My Head Hurts

jnofx's Arena

OVR: 11

My guess is Stafford starts Week 10, if Dante doesn't get hurt sooner. I'd say do what Peyton did and start him right off the bat to make him learn quicker, but I know these guys don't have a line at all, and I dunno how Peyton's line was his rookie year. (this is not a qb comparison, by any means, btw. just saying Peyton said he would not have gone 13-3 his 2nd season if he hadnt played and gone 3-13 his rookie season, setting a rookie INT record in the process)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »