Home

Is it truly a privilege to play in the NFL?

This is a discussion on Is it truly a privilege to play in the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Is it truly a privilege to play in the NFL?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=104831602

Commentator, Frank Deford from NPR stated that playing in the NFL being a privilege is bunk.

I agreed with him on the bases that if you are talented, have athletic capabilities, you will have an opportunity to play in the NFL.

Unless mighty Goodell super suspends someone, if someone is talented enough, they will be picked up.

I think this is a really good read and wanted to share it with the community.

You have earned my respect.

4-6-09
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Is it truly a privilege to play in the NFL?

It's as much a privilege as any other high profile job.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

No it's not a privilege and it's stupid that people try to make that argument just because they aren't able to play in the NFL.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Frank DeFord is a great guy. One of the better commentators on sports over the last 40 years. I don't know if I completely buy into his argument so I guess I disagree.

I tend to think it's a privelige only because there are guys that screw up big time in other areas of life and not really have to worry about losing their jobs in the NFL because of their talent. They treat their access to the sport and big money as a given and thus the infallibility kicks in.

I'm probably on the wrong side of the argument on this but it's just my personal opinion.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #5

jmood88's Arena

If you're good at your job in any other field you will have opportunities that other people don't and you'll have more leeway than others. People in the NFL do stupid stuff, just like everyone else in the world.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Well if you have the skills to play in the nfl then you deserve to be there. But if youmess up off the feild in the communtiy then you deserve what you get from roger. Playing in the NFL is something special. But if you are going to play. You must set a good example for other players on and off the feild. But if you are just going to act like a thug on and off the feild then you don't deserve to play point blank.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Can't believe what I'm reading. Yes, it is an extreme privilege to play in the NFL.

Just because a guy can play a sport well doesn't mean the world opens up its pockets and pay tens of millions of dollars to him. It took a lot of players playing for almost nothing, and a ton of business genius and marketing to make the league what it is.

The history and heritage of the NFL is a precious thing, and it is a distinct privilege to be blessed with the ability to be a part of it. Doesn't mean a player doesn't DESERVE to be there, but it is an extreme honor no less.

I can't stand these punks who think the world owes them something because they can play football. Red Grange didn't become a millionaire sacrificing his body for a whole career, but Matthew Stafford just became one overnight.

That is a privilege, deserved or not.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #8

jmood88's Arena

So is every job a privilege or is it only the jobs that pay alot?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »