Home

Best Secondaries In The League?

This is a discussion on Best Secondaries In The League? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34
Smile Best Secondaries In The League?

Well my top Secondaries in the NFL goes like this

Green Bay Packers( Woodson, Harris best corner tandem in lg)
Philadelphia Eagles( Samuels, Brown, Jones,Mikell)
Pittsburg Steelers(Troy P, Ike and da boys enough said)
San Diego Chargers( Cromartie,Weddle and da boys)
Denver Broncos( Champ and B Dawk( this hurt me to say that)
Titans (finnegan, griffin, hope, Harper)
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com

Last edited by texbuk84; 07-15-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: BEST SECONDARIES IN THE NFL!!!!

Titans (finnegan, griffin, hope, Harper)

next question...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Finnegan is a nice corner.

Still love the Eagle secondary, but B-Dawk and his versatitlity will be sorely missed. Hopefully Sheldon Brown's contract situation can be resolved, and we can keep that tandem (Samuel/Brown) on board for a couple more years.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Don't know if I would put Pittsburgh up there if we're talking about best Secondaries as a WHOLE.

I just hope Al can make a smooth transition into going from a straight up bump and run Corner fulltime to a Half Zone/Man Corner this year and also hope that last year wasn't just a fluke year for Nick Collins. If he can repeat last year and Atari Bigby can repeat his 2007 season, I think our Secondary will deserve to be up there.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 07-14-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18

I haven't studied up on specific positional players in a while so bear with me, but my rankings would go something like this. (keep in mind I'm rating these as whole units and also how they play within the scheme not necessarily pure talent , therefore even if you have 2 strong corners, but your safeties are iffy I'm bumping you down a notch.)

1. Tennessee - C.Finnegan, N.Harper, C.Hope, M.Griffin - there are no real super stars in the bunch but they are a cohesive unit, and generally go unrecognized nationally despite their fantastic play. Cortland Finnegan has ascended into one of the top Cornerbacks in the league recently with his physical coverage.

2. Philadelphia - A. Samuel, S.Brown, Q. Mikell, Q. Demps - Samuel who is the flashiest player of the bunch with ballhawking ability for timely interceptions, and Sheldon Brown's steady coverage probably rank up there as one of the top Corner duos in the league. I'm not as sold on the Safety pair quite yet... Dawkins' absence will be felt. Hopefully Demps develops into the player they are hoping he can be.

3. Pittsburgh - I.Taylor, D.Townsend, T. Polamalu, R.Clark - people give a lot of credit to the Front as they should, but you also don't get to being the statistical Number 1 pass Defense without a strong secondary. Troy Polamalu leads this unit on the field, with his freakish athletic talent, and instincts I rank him the 2nd best Safety in the league.

4. Indianapolis - K.Hayden, M.Jackson, B.Sanders, A.Bethea - people will question my choice here, but the past few years Indy has been one of the best Pass Defending teams in the league and these guys are a big reason why... Hayden/Jackson are both big, physical corners who fit the Cover 2 scheme perfectly, and Bob Sanders when healthy and active packs a big punch with his hitting ability, and run support.

5. Tampa Bay - R.Barber, A.Talib, S, Piscitelli, T.Jackson - Ronde Barber is older but still fits what they want to do within the scheme, Talib, and Piscitelli are rising young players.. again Tampa has always been strong in the pass Defense department.. honestly I could probably interchange them with GB here with the departure of Kiffin, and some losses... the foundation has been shaken but I have to give them credit for what they've done for so long.

just missed it Green Bay... I'm not as sold on the Safeties, Bigby can hit but also can get beat deep. Harris has come off some injuries, and is getting older... and Man/bump corners ussually start falling off in play as they age. They are a strong unit still though.

Last edited by Feared; 07-14-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

If PIT is on this list then the Ravens should be too (especially if we're giving guys like Sanders credit for run support)... though I wouldn't make much noise about both being left off.

Personally I think the Skins should be in the top 5. Strong safeties and corners (if their age doesn't keep them off the field with injuries) and the addition of a pass rush should make them even better than last year where I believe they were top 5.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 34

Titans and Eagles are the 2 best I think.

Secondaries are tricky because you have to consider scheme and pass rush also.

I cant put Denver's in the conversation, because B-Dawk isnt a cover safety anymore, and poor champ has to run around like a friggen greyhound for 7 seconds every play, because he has no pass rush to help him out.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
If PIT is on this list then the Ravens should be too (especially if we're giving guys like Sanders credit for run support)... though I wouldn't make much noise about both being left off.

Personally I think the Skins should be in the top 5. Strong safeties and corners (if their age doesn't keep them off the field with injuries) and the addition of a pass rush should make them even better than last year where I believe they were top 5.
With some reconsideration I'd probably put the Ravens unit over the Bucs at 5. Reed/Landry is probably the one of, if not the best Safety duos in the league. I just want to see how Foxworth, Washington hold up for a whole season as the starting CB pair.

Redskins are in my top 10.. again I like the Safety pair they have back there Horton showed promise, and Landry should be a stud. Just not really a big D.Hall fan... Rogers has the ability to be a breakout player however.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »