Home

Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan?

This is a discussion on Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan?

Games are only blacked out for their respective market, not nationally.

Blackouts are not intended to make you a fan, blackouts are meant to get the fans to go to the games. If you are hurt by a blackout, good they are serving their intended purpose. Can't afford to attend the game? Tough, the NFL is in the business of making money, not enforcing your sense of entitlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
I was a season ticket holder for years and then they moved the stadium another 40 min south of where I live, so no more season tickets.
If 40 minutes is keeping you from going to a game, you are not really a fan. I can only dream of an NFL stadium that close, never mind the Dolphins being that close. As it is I travel probably 8 times a year to either Indy (4 hours round trip), Cincinnati (3 hours round trip) or Chicago (10 hours round trip).
Old 09-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
It'll never happen in the NFL but the CFL had a similar blackout policy in the '70s and '80s because the Argos and the Ti-Cats weren't so good in those years they didn't air a lot of the home games. It created a situation where the CFL lost a whole generation of fans. The Hamilton market has largely regained their fanbase but Toronto has never gotten back to what it used to be.

Like I said that will never happen to the NFL but some teams will have a very hard time regaining a fanbase once they get good again.
I wouldn't say never. I;m not saying teams will go under. But this is a day & age where there is alot more entertainment that comes right into the home. NFL has a foothold now, but let these situations continue & people will drift away. That "necessity" to be involved w/the team will disappear as other pastimes fill the void.

Look @ places like Arizona. They still sweat out the deadline & couldn't sell out the NFC title game. Everybody is looking to get a dollar out of their nickel & paying out the nose for a mediocre product is no longer going to seem necessary anymore.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
So many cities want an NFL team to the point where if fans stop going to a team's games, the team can simply move to another city and sell-outs will start up again. Yeah, I'm talking about Oakland, San Diego, and Jacksonville. Everything I've heard about Detroit says the Lions have an extremely loyal fan base, and once they get over their current losing streak they won't have any trouble selling out again. And they will get over this losing streak; they're starting to do things with the draft and such the right way. Johnson also has a great future.
Oh I agree, give Lions fans even a mediocre product and they'll come out in droves. I think NFL football in Jacksonville might be on its last legs though. San Diego could be in LA but I think Oakland stays put.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11
Games are only blacked out for their respective market, not nationally.

Blackouts are not intended to make you a fan, blackouts are meant to get the fans to go to the games. If you are hurt by a blackout, good they are serving their intended purpose. Can't afford to attend the game? Tough, the NFL is in the business of making money, not enforcing your sense of entitlement.

If 40 minutes is keeping you from going to a game, you are not really a fan. I can only dream of an NFL stadium that close, never mind the Dolphins being that close. As it is I travel probably 8 times a year to either Indy (4 hours round trip), Cincinnati (3 hours round trip) or Chicago (10 hours round trip).
That's such a "let 'em eat cake" comment. Why insult the guy by claiming he isn't a fan? If you can afford to do it & think its important to you, fine. Other people have other priorities & don't live their life for football. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to be a fanatic.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
That's such a "let 'em eat cake" comment. Why insult the guy by claiming he isn't a fan? If you can afford to do it & think its important to you, fine. Other people have other priorities & don't live their life for football. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to be a fanatic.
True that. Although, on a personal level I'd have no problems driving an hour to Indianapolis eight weeks a year if I could afford the tickets.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #14

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm pretty sure I read the Raider game is being blacked out as well against the Broncos. Is that true??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
The game is only blacked out for Lions fans though right? How does it work for the opposing teams fanbase? Could I perhaps be in for a treat of NOT being subjected to Redskins football on Fox at 1, and possibly get to watch KC @ PHI?
Nah, you will still get the Lions-Redskins game unfortunately. The games are only blacked out in the local market.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4
Before Drew Bledsoe was drafted by the Pats #1 overall, Pats home games were blacked out all the time. But as a true fan, I would listen too them on the radio. I stick with my team no matter what.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLFanSince1979
Before Drew Bledsoe was drafted by the Pats #1 overall, Pats home games were blacked out all the time. But as a true fan, I would listen too them on the radio. I stick with my team no matter what.
Glad someone mentioned this...I love to listen to games on the radio. If a game is blacked out, that's probably your best bet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »