Home

Derek Anderson

This is a discussion on Derek Anderson within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Derek Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
No, I didn't contradict myself. Having a good first half of a season two years ago before playing as poorly as you did before that first half, and then continuing to play that poorly for a year and a half after is not any reason to make the move. I don't know how anyone would think that, but my guess is you're just trying to pick pieces out of my post to make an argument.

Quinn's played 6 games his entire career. His "struggling" shouldn't have been much of a suprise considring that. Add that the rest of the team was expected to not do well this year, his 3 games this year (2 and a half actually) were against MIN, @DEN and @BAL (3 of the best defenses in the league) and they traded into the first round to get him and it makes no sense at all to not let him continue starting.

And after I posted DA's stats, I can't believe you're still trying to argue based on half a season 2 years ago.
Im just pointing out what you said. I dont know how that can be misconstrued as picking or starting an agruement. Both QB's where neck and neck in both offseason and preseason. Quinn got the nod because he was the crowd favorite. So when he started to struggle(not saying it was his fault) it made sense to bring in Anderson. There is good money invested in both and they both are young QB's so the team has to either choose one or deal them both. But at the time it was in their best interest to see what Anderson could give them.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Im just pointing out what you said. I dont know how that can be misconstrued as picking or starting an agruement. Both QB's where neck and neck in both offseason and preseason. Quinn got the nod because he was the crowd favorite. So when he started to struggle(not saying it was his fault) it made sense to bring in Anderson. There is good money invested in both and they both are young QB's so the team has to either choose one or deal them both. But at the time it was in their best interest to see what Anderson could give them.
No you highlighted 2 pieces of an entire post and made an argument around them. Do you really not understand that doing well for 8 games or so 2 years ago out of about 35 career games is not something you'd say "he had success in the past so he deserves a shot" to? Quinn got the nod bc they drafted him to be the future. It doesn't make sense to pull "the future" 3 games into the season against 3 of the best defenses in the league. Luckily the Cowboys didn't feel that way about Aikman and the Colts didn't feel that way about Manning (Peyton had 2 tds and 8 ints after his first 3 starts btw... 6 tds and 12 ints after 6 starts). I don't have any delusional thoughts that Quinn is the next Peyton Manning but when you know the team is going to suck and you play "the future" to get experience, get comfortable, and to see what you have in him you don't pull him after 3 games for a guy who has stunk it up his entire career bc he had a decent stretch 2 years ago for half a season.

They already knew what Anderson could give them. They didn't think it was good enough last year or starting this year. Surprise, he still sucks. Basically you're saying after about 35 games they're now figuring that out but it took 6 to figure out about Quinn.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
No you highlighted 2 pieces of an entire post and made an argument around them. Do you really not understand that doing well for 8 games or so 2 years ago out of about 35 career games is not something you'd say "he had success in the past so he deserves a shot" to? Quinn got the nod bc they drafted him to be the future. It doesn't make sense to pull "the future" 3 games into the season against 3 of the best defenses in the league. Luckily the Cowboys didn't feel that way about Aikman and the Colts didn't feel that way about Manning (Peyton had 2 tds and 8 ints after his first 3 starts btw... 6 tds and 12 ints after 6 starts). I don't have any delusional thoughts that Quinn is the next Peyton Manning but when you know the team is going to suck and you play "the future" to get experience, get comfortable, and to see what you have in him you don't pull him after 3 games for a guy who has stunk it up his entire career bc he had a decent stretch 2 years ago for half a season.

They already knew what Anderson could give them. They didn't think it was good enough last year or starting this year. Surprise, he still sucks. Basically you're saying after about 35 games they're now figuring that out but it took 6 to figure out about Quinn.
I said Anderson had some success I didnt say how much. And you basically confirmed what I said then denied it.

Its funny your suggesting that the Browns start Quinn because he is the future and then blast others in a thread about VY starting. In this case both QB's are young and have money invested in them. I dont think Quinn has shown that he is "The Future" anymore or any less then Anderson.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

I think the Browns defense is solid but the thing is they are on the field all the time.

As far as Anderson, I dunno, but his receivers sure as hell aren't helping him. I still don't agree with the move to bench Quinn early in the season.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #21
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

well my personal opinon by all the moves mangini made this off season by trading away the talent for posible future talent. tells me he thinks like a gm rather than a coach wanting to win now.

he rather lose all the games this season so that he can be in the top of the draft and play gm god during the draft and move up n down like a yo yo. he is about the stupidest person i ever met i could run the browns better than that fool.

you put brady quinn in now because you know that anderson is not the anser and has no trade value what so ever and if he planed on trading quin he needs to put him back in or if he plans on keeping him he needs to get him experience there is not a doubt in my mind that brady would succesfull in the right situation i just feel no qb could get it done there with the playmakers they have on offence because mangini traded it all away for absolutely nothing.

and on a side note rob ryan is another tard yelling at cutler when his defence made that goal line stand telling him F.U that is real grown up there (watching tillman int anderson for a td priceless)
cutler should have made sure he laughed in his face.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #22
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I said Anderson had some success I didnt say how much. And you basically confirmed what I said then denied it.

Its funny your suggesting that the Browns start Quinn because he is the future and then blast others in a thread about VY starting. In this case both QB's are young and have money invested in them. I dont think Quinn has shown that he is "The Future" anymore or any less then Anderson.
I'm trying to say this without sounding like I'm attacking you but it's pretty frustrating bc I'm just repeating the same thing in different ways. So I'm going to try to break the entire thought process up. Please consider the entire message as a whole, bc going off one piece or another does not work.

1. Many NFL QBs have stretches of success. Just sticking with this team, there was reason to believe Tim Couch was the future in Cleveland, throwing passes to Kevin Johnson. Where are either now? They also thought Charlie Frye was the future and actually offered DA in the trade that sent him to Seattle, but were fine losing either QB. They picked up Anderson, gave him a shot, benched him again for Frye, and gave him another shot bc they didn't have any other choice when Frye was traded. The fact that they almost made the playoffs with ANYBODY behind center was reason enough to keep him as the starter, but he couldn't even make it through a whole year after that. The bottom line is they've seen what they have in him. There's no reason for them to not already know that he's no more than a back up QB.

2. Considering they should already know what he is, the only reason to pull a "struggling" Quinn is if the team has a shot at the playoffs and they don't feel Quinn is ready or is the answer. That's not the case here. The Browns had no misguided dreams of making the playoffs this year, and getting rid of Winslow and Edwards made that even more clear than it already should've been. Much like Aikman's Cowboys and Manning's Colts, seeing what they had in their 1st round QB should be more important than wins and losses that aren't going to come with him or anybody else under center anyway. Even if he is garbage, there is absolutely no reason to make that evaluation after week 17 of this season, not in the middle of week 3 when they're playing one of the top defenses in the league, and after they just played 2 other top defenses in the league. Any manager worth his salary should've expected Quinn to struggle through those games anyway.

3. If the Titans came into the season with the same expectations as the Browns then I'd think they should've started VY week 1 for the exact same reason. And I've said many times that he should start as soon as their playoff hopes are gone (as he has).

3a. The Titan situation is also different bc as the starter, Collins was getting criticized to know in for issues that no QB on that roster could change. If they'd switched to VY then fans would have the expectation of him turning it all around and leading them to the playoffs, much like the situation his rookie year. The chances of that happening were between slim and none, not bc VY is bad but bc he doesn't play defense. The fans would've come down on him even harder than they were already coming down on Collins. It wasn't the right situation to bring him in.

Really hope that's clear. I got no problem with you disagreeing with me but you just don't seem to be understanding what I've been saying.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 17

Anderson won the job by throwing two INT's lol. He can't even throw for over 100 yards a week, or complete more than two passes in a game. It's truly pathetic. Brady wasn't much better. That team is just in shambles, I don't think it matters who is at QB.

Nobody is worse than JaMarcus, if you ask me.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #24
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
I'm trying to say this without sounding like I'm attacking you but it's pretty frustrating bc I'm just repeating the same thing in different ways. So I'm going to try to break the entire thought process up. Please consider the entire message as a whole, bc going off one piece or another does not work.

1. Many NFL QBs have stretches of success. Just sticking with this team, there was reason to believe Tim Couch was the future in Cleveland, throwing passes to Kevin Johnson. Where are either now? They also thought Charlie Frye was the future and actually offered DA in the trade that sent him to Seattle, but were fine losing either QB. They picked up Anderson, gave him a shot, benched him again for Frye, and gave him another shot bc they didn't have any other choice when Frye was traded. The fact that they almost made the playoffs with ANYBODY behind center was reason enough to keep him as the starter, but he couldn't even make it through a whole year after that. The bottom line is they've seen what they have in him. There's no reason for them to not already know that he's no more than a back up QB.

2. Considering they should already know what he is, the only reason to pull a "struggling" Quinn is if the team has a shot at the playoffs and they don't feel Quinn is ready or is the answer. That's not the case here. The Browns had no misguided dreams of making the playoffs this year, and getting rid of Winslow and Edwards made that even more clear than it already should've been. Much like Aikman's Cowboys and Manning's Colts, seeing what they had in their 1st round QB should be more important than wins and losses that aren't going to come with him or anybody else under center anyway. Even if he is garbage, there is absolutely no reason to make that evaluation after week 17 of this season, not in the middle of week 3 when they're playing one of the top defenses in the league, and after they just played 2 other top defenses in the league. Any manager worth his salary should've expected Quinn to struggle through those games anyway.

3. If the Titans came into the season with the same expectations as the Browns then I'd think they should've started VY week 1 for the exact same reason. And I've said many times that he should start as soon as their playoff hopes are gone (as he has).

3a. The Titan situation is also different bc as the starter, Collins was getting criticized to know in for issues that no QB on that roster could change. If they'd switched to VY then fans would have the expectation of him turning it all around and leading them to the playoffs, much like the situation his rookie year. The chances of that happening were between slim and none, not bc VY is bad but bc he doesn't play defense. The fans would've come down on him even harder than they were already coming down on Collins. It wasn't the right situation to bring him in.

Really hope that's clear. I got no problem with you disagreeing with me but you just don't seem to be understanding what I've been saying.
I understand just fine. For some reason you think other people cant follow your points. I get it I just dont agree there's a difference.

My point is Quinn hasnt shown me anything to believe he is any more the future than Anderson. They give Anderson a big contract and he is only one year older than Quinn. Both are unsuccessful right now. IMO Quinn isnt the future so benching him was the right decision. Anderson doesnt seem to be the answer either. This was a case to me where both guys could have been hit with the "Future" tag. So the benching of Quinn was a good move because Anderson if he would have played well could have easily been the guy from here on out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »