Home

Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: HB Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by twl221
So does the formula weigh Rushes and Receptions 50-50? Or do you go by the Rush/Reception per touch? If this doesn't make sense, tell me. If it is the latter, are you going to do Receivers too?
I hope I am answering your question correctly. The formula is not a 50/50 ratio in regards to rushing and receiving. It is based on a per touch basis. If there was a RB who caught 10 passes to every 1 rush his rating would most likely be higher than a RB who caught 1 pass for every 10 rushes, solely based on yards per touch. Again, TDs per touch are the most important factor in this rating, followed by yards per touch, then fumbles per touch.

I do plan on making a system for receivers however I can't use the same parameters as a RB as a WR most often gets more yards per touch than a RB. As of now I am looking at numbers to determine what the "best" production is. That formula will again follow the 0-158.3 rating system, an attempt to equate a players value regardless position.

The criteria I am using for the WR Rating is yards per touch, TDs per touch, fumbles per touch, and drops per targeted pass. The last stat will be the hardest to quantify but ProFootballFocus.com can provide the necessary information.

It will take some time, but my goal is to create a rating system (within the QB rating model) for every position. Again, this is a stat, it helps in evaluating a player but is not a complete determination of a players value.

Please keep the questions and feedback coming, I'm a numbers geek and love doing this kind of thing.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 5

Here, moved from the other thread.

Also I just wanted to say I checked out your HB rating system and to be quite honest that's something that could go a long way for you and owning a business I've had to patent a few ideas. I realize this isn't something you probably ever want to profit off of. Though that could be done as well. But you might want to look into making a short term copyright of that (I can give you a few easy, free ways to do that). Because I think if someone from espn or the nfl saw that. They would use it.

All that legal mumbo jumbo aside though, I give you nothing but congrats on that system. I've always believed it's possible to have each offensive position rated like a QB and often wondered why no one did it. You're onto something, so hang onto it.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #35
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

you have to get rid of TDs/touch.

TDs are hardly a good measure of a single RBs contribution.

Maybe Runs of 10+ per touch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #36
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Great idea if you ask me.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi
you have to get rid of TDs/touch.

TDs are hardly a good measure of a single RBs contribution.

Maybe Runs of 10+ per touch.
Again I am attempting to follow the QB Rating model with this. If I wanted to just make a rating determining the best HB I would include a whole slew of other statistics (10 YD+ runs, 20 YD+ runs, 3&1 conversions, 1st down percentage, etc.).

And how else do you take TDs into consideration? Or yards? The o-line and QB play have so much to do with RB production it seems foolish to discount any stat.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #38
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Well a third string qb can come in throw at a td pass on his one and only throw of the year and end up with a 158.3 qb rating. To do the rating there have to be a minimum attempts or touches clause there. Tds are what counts in the league so that should be reflected. Yards really don't count for much in a qbs rating just the td to fumble ratio and tds count for alot more than ints. so tds should count alot more than fumbles for a rb to keep it fair.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 5

Just like the QB rating doesn't take into account rushing, this should leave out passing... And I can understand LenDale being rated higher than CJ, he was more efficient running the ball, what the rating truly measures.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 18

I think this is perfect. For the QB rating, a backup QB could come in one game, and be 5/5, 85 yrds and 1TD, and have a QB rating than most starters. This is what happened with that Lendale White situation. Just because his rating would be very high, doesn't mean he's better than a guy he's higher than, just like the backup wouldn't be as good as Tom Brady that week, even though the rating may say so.

Anyways, great job man. Very cool idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »