Home

Bills to hire Chan Gailey as head coach

This is a discussion on Bills to hire Chan Gailey as head coach within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #25
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Bills to hire Chan Gailey as head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
This is definitely untrue. We have proven receivers, linebackers, cornerbacks, and runningbacks. Our QBs are obviously an area to improve on, but were serviceable.

Anybody who has watched the Bills for the last three seasons can tell you the weak link (by far) has been play calling and overall preparedness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
I realistically think the Bills are an offensive tackle, an outside linebacker and a competent quarterback away from being a playoff team (a sound offensive scheme and some good leadership would also help).

Draft or acquire a thinking QB (not simply an "intelligent" one) that has experienced success, sign a veteran linebacker who can take lifelong scrub Keith Ellison's job and put a veteran leader on the offensive line (where this "leader" comes from is anyone's guess) and there you go. The team already has some of the most effective wide receivers and defensive secondary players in the league, and has a workhorse who can lead this team in Fred Jackson. There's no reason why this team can't be 10-6 with a few (major) tweaks. Nothing an offseason can't do.

As for Gailey, like I said, I'm hating the move until he can prove to me that he's going to inject some much-needed on-field smarts into this organization. I've had enough of lame-duck playcalling and incompetent signal-callers, as have most of the fans of this team. If Gailey and his staff show us that they can avoid the trepidation of the 2000's in their playcalling and run the team like a competent organization, then they'll be on the fans' side in no time. As for now, this reeks of ridiculousness.
QFT

We have good pieces and just need some help here and there. If Buddy Nix is as good as advertised with his scouting then the Bills can sign some older guys at the positions of need and draft at those positions therefore grooming them for the next couple years.

Gailey is a very close friend of Cowher and this reeks of "well if we can't get the real deal we'll take the next best thing". Unfortunately the next best thing is an old coach who has had middling success at the head coaching position. I pray that we somehow draft Bradford as I think his game translates well to the NFL and could be groomed well as Gailey is a bad head coach but he's pretty good at teaching QBs.

Eh...I just hope it's not another few years of bland football and wasting good talent.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #26
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Ughhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 27

They should've just stuck with Fewell... or begged 84-year old Marv Levy to come back (lol) before hiring this guy.

Smh.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 15

Terrible hire by the Bills. If you're going to settle, at least settle for someone young. With Chan Gailey, you know what you're going to get: mediocrity. Good coaching can really make a below average team pretty decent and turn a decent team into a playoff contender. I agree with a lot of the Bills fans here. The Bills aren't a tremendously untalented team. They have strengths in certain places like RB and in the secondary. A good coach could squeeze a .500 season out of that roster. It's a shame that Ralph Wilson settled for a proven loser.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

From Cowher to Fraizer to..Chan Gailey?

Really Buffalo? Thanks for taking the heat off of Mangini being the worst hire of the last few decades, though...yikes.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 16

Alright - someone bookmark this thread, because people in here aren't even giving the guy a chance.

Gailey was a great coordinator for the Steelers. He helped turn Neil O'Donnell (who was ****-ing terrible) into an almost Pro Bowl QB, and had the Steelers running an offense with an amazing balance between Barry Foster and our passing game. I have always respected the job he did as OC in Pittsburgh.

I know that things didn't work out in Dallas and Georgia Tech, but Buffalo could actually be a great fit for a guy like him who values a balanced attack.

If he is willing to hire a premier defensive coordinator or hire an up and coming guy and give him the reigns on defense, this hire might look a lot different come October or so.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #31
Pro

humaca80's Arena

OVR: 13

Can Lindy ruff coach the bills in the NHL offseason?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #32
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
This is definitely untrue. We have proven receivers, linebackers, cornerbacks, and runningbacks. Our QBs are obviously an area to improve on, but were serviceable.

Anybody who has watched the Bills for the last three seasons can tell you the weak link (by far) has been play calling and overall preparedness.
LOL...Serviceable...

Captain Checkdown Trent is awful.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »