Home

Michael Vick Admits To "Settling For Mediocrity" While Playing For The Falcons.

This is a discussion on Michael Vick Admits To "Settling For Mediocrity" While Playing For The Falcons. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Michael Vick Admits To "Settling For Mediocrity" While Playing For The Falcons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
The guy wasn't great, but he was FAR from a bad QB.
Throwing the ball? Yeah, he was pretty bad. Not horrible, I guess but at best mediocre.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Michael Vick Admits To "Settling For Mediocrity" While Playing For The Falcons.

Not really suprised by this statement. When someone is such a superior athlete who's never schooled in the arts of mechanics (Vick all through high school then in college) it's tough for said player to begin to harness the mental aspect of the game because they can rely on their athleticism. Generally you see these guys hit the wall and hard in the NFL at some point after bursting big onto the scene, especially when playing a position as cerebral as the QB position. They either then learn the game or exit the league within a few years. It happens all the time.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesTheCoach
If he hadn't "settled for mediocrity" would it have really mattered? The guy is/was a bad QB. That ain't changing. He was a great college QB.

I still remember arguing with posters years ago on another forum about him. Pro-Vick supporters used to argue that the Falcons 1st round WR's were busts which is why Vick wasn't progressing as a QB. Those WR's look pretty good today.
By those you mean Roddy White because Jenkins isnt much more productive. And How many years did White play with Vick two maybe? That team was not good offensively outside of Vick, Crumpler ,and Dunn. Not to say that Vick didnt leave throws out on the field but man did his WR's drop some passes. He wasnt the prototype QB but he won games at times almost by himself.

I compare what he does to what Reggie Bush is doing now. No he doesnt contribute in the typical way(even though Bush is ready to at this point in his career) but he wins games. You look at the Saints seasons when Bush was healthy NFC Championship Game and SuperBowl winners. Vick is the same way. And just like I know Bush is ready to be more of a prototype RB reading this just shows me Vick will more then likely be ready to become a better pocket passer.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
By those you mean Roddy White because Jenkins isnt much more productive. And How many years did White play with Vick two maybe? That team was not good offensively outside of Vick, Crumpler ,and Dunn. Not to say that Vick didnt leave throws out on the field but man did his WR's drop some passes. He wasnt the prototype QB but he won games at times almost by himself.

I compare what he does to what Reggie Bush is doing now. No he doesnt contribute in the typical way(even though Bush is ready to at this point in his career) but he wins games. You look at the Saints seasons when Bush was healthy NFC Championship Game and SuperBowl winners. Vick is the same way. And just like I know Bush is ready to be more of a prototype RB reading this just shows me Vick will more then likely be ready to become a better pocket passer.
Throwing from the pocket is the name of the game. He has all the physical tools to do that, and Brees has proved that being 6'0" is not really a hindrance.

If he becomes accurate on 3rd downs and can still run from time to time, he'll be very dangerous on a team with a good defense.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesTheCoach
If he hadn't "settled for mediocrity" would it have really mattered? The guy is/was a bad QB. That ain't changing. He was a great college QB.

I still remember arguing with posters years ago on another forum about him. Pro-Vick supporters used to argue that the Falcons 1st round WR's were busts which is why Vick wasn't progressing as a QB. Those WR's look pretty good today.
did you not read the article???
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Throwing from the pocket is the name of the game. He has all the physical tools to do that, and Brees has proved that being 6'0" is not really a hindrance.

If he becomes accurate on 3rd downs and can still run from time to time, he'll be very dangerous on a team with a good defense.
This is my point. You dont get selected #1 overall without the tools to make all the throws. When you here about Vick all you here is what he cant do. Playing QB @ the NFL level isnt about physical tools(everybody has most of them) it's about consistency. Some of consistency is muscle memory your born with but most of it is through hard work. The main part of being a consistent NFL QB is film work knowing your opponent. Once the ball is snap you have seconds to make the right decision.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 02-11-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
did you not read the article???
Yeah, he's basically trying to sucker a gullible team into offering him a starting role next year by coming up with reasons why he didn't play as well as some thought he would earlier in his career.

People seem to forget that Atlanta was going to get another QB before Vick ever got into trouble with the law. He had continued to struggle at QB there and wasn't making any progress as a player. If anything, he was regressing, since teams started to shut down his running.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe

So the WR's suddenly stopped dropping passes once Vick wasn't on the team anymore? I'm not saying there weren't dropped passes while Vick was there, but there's always going to be dropped passes on any team. Look at Roddy White's numbers since Vick left. Wow, he's more than doubled his output. You can't tell me that he just suddenly became a better WR.

And the comparison to Bush, while interesting, is sort of a stretch since they play completely different positions. Vick is a QB, even if he isn't your typical QB he still needs to produce at the position. Ben Roethlisberger isn't your typical NFL QB, either, but he has more than produced and progressed at QB.

I think any team offering Vick a starting job will be just wasting their money and time on that endeavor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »