Home

Seahawks trade for ... QB Charlie Whitehurst

This is a discussion on Seahawks trade for ... QB Charlie Whitehurst within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Seahawks trade for ... QB Charlie Whitehurst

I must admit that I haven't seen a lot out of Charlie Whitehurst (don't get to see too many Chargers games here in NC...even if I do have a bromance with Philip Rivers...yeah, I admit it.)

But coming from an ACC school, I remember that Charlie was a good college QB...not the greatest, but he was good...if he's spent his career in SD learning from Rivers and Volek then he'll probably have a pretty good handle on the NFL mentally...and I doubt his skills diminished that much...so he's a good pick up...2nd and a 3rd round? I'm not sure...have to wait and see if it pans out...he could be a VERY good thing...

And remember..Hasselbeck hasn't exactly been a pinnacle of health lately...having some insurance (even untested) is better than having no one...and think....Whitehurst is SO much cheaper than Bradford's contract would be...

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #18

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
I must admit that I haven't seen a lot out of Charlie Whitehurst (don't get to see too many Chargers games here in NC...even if I do have a bromance with Philip Rivers...yeah, I admit it.)

But coming from an ACC school, I remember that Charlie was a good college QB...not the greatest, but he was good...if he's spent his career in SD learning from Rivers and Volek then he'll probably have a pretty good handle on the NFL mentally...and I doubt his skills diminished that much...so he's a good pick up...2nd and a 3rd round? I'm not sure...have to wait and see if it pans out...he could be a VERY good thing...

And remember..Hasselbeck hasn't exactly been a pinnacle of health lately...having some insurance (even untested) is better than having no one...and think....Whitehurst is SO much cheaper than Bradford's contract would be...
Seattle didn't give up a second round pick, just switched spots in the second round with SD. Seattle is losing a lot of value for there 2010 second round pick but, Its still a lot for a unproven QB in the NFL. Hasn't even thrown a pass in the NFL and gets a 2 year 10 million dollar deal.

It's a huge gamble not just because, of the picks traded and given up but, the contract he received. This will definitely be cheaper than drafting a QB but, I did not expect him to get that much money.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #19
MVP

BaseballCtchr's Arena

OVR: 11

Charlie was great his SO year. He actually was looked at as coming out early after his JR year. But that was in the preseason...then he had a TERRIBLE JR year. His SR year was okay but the play calling and playbook really held him back. Spence/Bowden didn't capitalize on Whitehurst being there. He is probably one of the best QBs Clemson had.

I felt like he Whitehurst could develop into a nice spot start guy for a few games. He really wasn't good at reading defenses. One thing is he would stay in the pocket and take a shot. He can throw the intermediate and short stuff. His deep ball needed work at Clemson. He had the arm but would lay it up and it would hang in the air too long. He matured a lot after his JR year. It humbled him. He was becoming too arrogant. He isnt a running threat but can elude pressure.

Clemson doesn't put out pro talent. For all the talent they have had it doesn't translate to the NFL. I am not expecting stars but at least contributors. They dont even do that. Brian Dawkins is the best player from Clemson in the NFL but he did not have the hype surrounding him at Clemson (that could be because Clemson sucked so bad when he was there).

I am very excited to see what Whitehurst will do with a chance.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

Like other Hawk fans have mentioned, my favorite part about the trade is it likely means no Jimmy Clausen, no Tim Tebow and no Colt McCoy.

I like his upside better than every QB in this draft besides Bradford and he will be the most ready to play.

Did we give up a lot? Maybe, but when you consider the alternative, it's a smart move.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »