Home

Does Belichick Get a Pass on Poor Drafts?

This is a discussion on Does Belichick Get a Pass on Poor Drafts? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #33
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Does Belichick Get a Pass on Poor Drafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
This has been a pretty healthy discussion. I guess all I'm saying is that the Pats have drafted poorly in general lately, and if you were to replace Brady with a non-elite QB (say, Flacco), then they would no longer be able to make the playoffs because the rest of their roster is becoming too thin. That's assuming of course that they have an average schedule rather than the extreme cupcake schedule of 2008.
Cardot just summed up my point, but I'll try to connect it to your post here.

I agree that the Pats haven't drafted well and if we put together some situation that couldn't realistically happen like that (Flacco's probably a bad example bc he may be good enough now entering year 3 but I know what you mean) then it would screw up their team.

But I don't think you're considering that the team has been built perfectly for every realistic situation that could happen. Losing Brady would cripple any team, first and foremost. So outside of that happening if they lose Welker for example (may even happen this year) we've seen last year that they've drafted someone who can do a decent job of replacing him. I don't think they're that deep across the board but with the number of high draft picks they've collected and their proven ability to attract free agents, I don't see any reason not to believe they can bring someone in by the next season to replace whatever crippling loss we're talking about.

You're focusing on the draft but for a team that is trying to win right away, there are very few draft picks that can be depended on to have a big impact their first season. They haven't drafted early round busts so much as avoided the early rounds in favor of seasoned vets. The next thought is that the philosophy is crippling their future. Time will tell, but with the way they've moved picks around over the years they're in a good place to get early round selections or give up early round picks for vets to fill in holes they may have going forward.

So yes, you could say they haven't drafted well... but I'd say it's more strategy than Bill screwing the pooch. It may catch up to him/them but until it does, I don't see a reason to question it... especially just focusing on the draft portion of it.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #34
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Perhaps they haven't drafted well, but some how they have managed to be a Super Bowl contender for 10 years in a league that strives for parity.
Hey man, the QB position is the most important position on the field, and many would argue that Brady was the best QB of the last decade. That, plus the drafts they had for the first six years of the decade had home run pick after home run pick.

A lot of guys from those classes are still playing, but because of their age each successive season they play they get a little bit worse and a little bit more injury susceptible. Having bad drafts from 2006-2009, as I guess I've been arguing, wouldn't impact their success from 2006-2009 as much as their success from 2010-2013.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

Last edited by lonewolf371; 05-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #35
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Hey man, the QB position is the most important position on the field, and many would argue that Brady was the best QB of the last decade. That, plus the drafts they had for the first six years of the decade had home run pick after home run pick.

A lot of guys from those classes are still playing, but because of their age each successive season they play they get a little bit worse and a little bit more injury susceptible. Having bad drafts from 2006-2009, as I guess I've been arguing, wouldn't impact their success from 2006-2009 as much as their success from 2010-2013.
Good points. You may be right. I guess we will see. I have mentioned before that I thought Bill was crazy to let Lawyer Milloy go....ever since I have conceeded that Beli knows more than me, and I don't question anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #36
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
They were once the Boston Patriots though.
...."The Jacksonville Jaguars of Anaheim." Mark it down now, for 2012.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #37
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I think alot of it depends on how Jerod Mayo pans out/recovers from injury. He is the Seymour-like difference maker on this team going forward. I think most great defenses have 3 or 4 guys you build around.

The Pats are probaly banking on the core of Mayo, Merriweather, and Wilfork moving forward. It remains to be seen if the Pats can build a special chemistry around those stars like they did with Seymour, Bruschi, and the like. If they do, I think the drafts can be considered a success but it's a bit premature at this point.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

Last edited by Rocky; 05-15-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #38
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I think alot of it depends on how Jerod Mayo pans out/recovers from injury. He is the Seymour-like difference maker on this team going forward. I think most great defenses have 3 or 4 guys you build around.

The Pats are probaly banking on the core of Mayo, Merriweather, and Wilfork moving forward. It remains to be seen if the Pats can build a special chemistry around those stars like they did with Seymour, Bruschi, and the like. If they do, I think the drafts can be considered a success but it's a bit premature at this point.
That's a pretty good core moving forward. I'd actually bet Mayo will be better than Bruschi, although not having a Seymour caliber player will hurt. The biggest concerns would be how the cornerbacks develop (2001-2007 teams had Ty Law, Asante Samuel) and how the pass rush develops (2001-2007 teams had Vrabel, McGinest, and Colvin at the top of their games). So if Darius Butler or Jonathan Wilhite become Asante Samuel or Ty Law, then I'd have to switch around and say they've drafted terrific. They also need a linebacker (or a DE if they keep doing 4-3 stuff) besides Banta-Cain to plant the QB.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #39
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
That's a pretty good core moving forward. I'd actually bet Mayo will be better than Bruschi, although not having a Seymour caliber player will hurt. The biggest concerns would be how the cornerbacks develop (2001-2007 teams had Ty Law, Asante Samuel) and how the pass rush develops (2001-2007 teams had Vrabel, McGinest, and Colvin at the top of their games). So if Darius Butler or Jonathan Wilhite become Asante Samuel or Ty Law, then I'd have to switch around and say they've drafted terrific. They also need a linebacker (or a DE if they keep doing 4-3 stuff) besides Banta-Cain to plant the QB.
Well said. They really do have some intriguing young defensive players at this point, especially in the secondary. They NEED to find a pass rusher somewhere though, or else the good passing teams will eat them alive again.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #40
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Well said. They really do have some intriguing young defensive players at this point, especially in the secondary. They NEED to find a pass rusher somewhere though, or else the good passing teams will eat them alive again.
I thought when they let Seymour go, they had a good idea of someone who could replace him (knowing the Pats). Boy, was I wrong.

They went from something like 4th in the league in sacks in 2004 to 25th in 2009.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »