Home

Could LeBron James compete in the NFL?

This is a discussion on Could LeBron James compete in the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
View Poll Results: Could James compete? (select as many positions as you wish)
Yes, WR 57 32.57%
Yes, QB 5 2.86%
Yes, TE 69 39.43%
Yes, DE 12 6.86%
Yes, LB 14 8.00%
Yes, DB 7 4.00%
Yes, Other 5 2.86%
No 68 38.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #105
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Could LeBron James compete in the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT
great point. elite high school athletes are frequently dominant (all-state level) in more than one sport because they that .02% that truly is elite. I havent done research on this but I bet there are more football/track or football/baseball all-state guys than football/golf.
I would assume that #1 and #2 would be football/basketball and football/track.

Baseball isn't big enough anymore, though traditionally it would probably be #1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #106
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT
great point. elite high school athletes are frequently dominant (all-state level) in more than one sport because they that .02% that truly is elite. I havent done research on this but I bet there are more football/track or football/baseball all-state guys than football/golf.

Out of high school a buddy of mine got his PGA card and he was 5'8"/150....the only sport he played was golf.
You wouldn't need to do research on it because golf is a game of skill first where superior athleticism could negatively impact your game. Not to mention the fact that a lot of kids don't have access to golf or baseball.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #107
Retar Crew

Antec's Arena

OVR: 12

I don't see how superior athleticism negatively impact your game?

Unless by superior athleticism you mean body builder jacked limiting your range of motion. But I wouldn't even classify that as athleticism just being huge.

Other than that I don't see any possible situation that being fit/fast/strong/having good control of your body (which is how I would define athleticism) can hurt your golf game.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #108
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT
not to be nitpicky (again) but biceps play almost zero role in swinging a bat. legs,core,tris,shoulder,lats,forearms...

hardest thing to do in sports - hit a baseball.
And I'm sure Tiger has every one of those things from having to hit a golf ball. Does Chase Utley have big forearms?
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 05-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #109
CPT
Banned

CPT's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
And I'm sure Tiger has every one of those things from having to hit a golf ball. Does Chase Utley have big forearms?
never met the guy (although the dude is in amazing shape)...ever meet Texieria?

.... for the record - I didnt claim Tiger didnt have those qualities. I am simply sharing educaiton on how the body actually works. Big and Strong do not always go hand in hand.

Last edited by CPT; 05-18-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #110
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I don't know about that. I think it takes some level of athleticism to be a great golfer, with the whole hand-eye coordination thing. I suppose it would depend on your definition of what athleticism is. If it's running fast and jumping high, then it would definitely affect football and basketball, but maybe not baseball. If it's hand-eye coordination and having great control over your body, it would matter the most for golf and baseball and the least for football.
I think hand/eye coordination helps make a great athlete, but have little to do with great athleticism. But even if we said it did, for argument sake, no one would call a 125lb kid who's a great golfer a freakish athlete. Even if he could crush the ball, can he putt? Does putting help make you a freakish athlete? That's generally the kid you just watch on the football field or basketball court and he's bigger than everyone else, faster, quicker, can jump higher, etc. Even if he doesn't have a jump shot he could be a great slasher, rebounder, defensive force, force in the paint. Even if he doesn't have vision to see cutting lanes develop, he breaks tackles, catches every jump ball, makes people miss in space, etc. Golf is a sport you have to learn and practice to be great. Hand/eye coordination isn't enough. Trust me, I know... me and Charles Barkley (I don't think I'm THAT bad. I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
I don't see how superior athleticism negatively impact your game?

Unless by superior athleticism you mean body builder jacked limiting your range of motion. But I wouldn't even classify that as athleticism just being huge.

Other than that I don't see any possible situation that being fit/fast/strong/having good control of your body (which is how I would define athleticism) can hurt your golf game.
It doesn't negatively impact your game but taking it back to the HS level, having superior athleticism greatly helps you in the other sports mentioned and not so much in golf.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #111
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I think hand/eye coordination helps make a great athlete, but have little to do with great athleticism. But even if we said it did, for argument sake, no one would call a 125lb kid who's a great golfer a freakish athlete. Even if he could crush the ball, can he putt? Does putting help make you a freakish athlete? That's generally the kid you just watch on the football field or basketball court and he's bigger than everyone else, faster, quicker, can jump higher, etc. Even if he doesn't have a jump shot he could be a great slasher, rebounder, defensive force, force in the paint. Even if he doesn't have vision to see cutting lanes develop, he breaks tackles, catches every jump ball, makes people miss in space, etc. Golf is a sport you have to learn and practice to be great. Hand/eye coordination isn't enough. Trust me, I know... me and Charles Barkley (I don't think I'm THAT bad. I hope).
Where are these freakish 125lb golfers? I haven't met any. I'll take your word for it, though.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #112
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Where are these freakish 125lb golfers? I haven't met any. I'll take your word for it, though.
HS, man. High school, lol. I love golf, but most kids with decent athletic ability and size at 14 or 15 are going to try to be good at one of the other sports more than golf. Unless they're already a golf phenom, that's just the way of the world at this point. I've seen plenty of 125-135lb 14 and 15 year olds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »