Home

49ers to get new stadium

This is a discussion on 49ers to get new stadium within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: 49ers to get new stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
I look up Google maps. Turns out there aren't much space to build a new stadium nearby.

Have they considered building one adjacent to Candlestick or was that also out of the question?

Santa Clara just seems so far away from San Francisco.
Well, I already listed the reasons why they didn't build it in the same spot (bad neighborhood, limited access to public transportation, etc.). Also, like the article in the first post stated, once the York family took over the team, they wanted the stadium to be built in Santa Clara. I honestly don't believe that San Francisco was ever an option for them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 12

The site is closer to Silicon Valley, where a lot of money is.

But their fans historically have come from the Peninsula, the area between SF and San Jose. Some fans from affluent Marin county (to the north of SF) may be affected but most of the fans are from south of SF.

San Francisco couldn't come up with the land or a plan to help finance it. They own Candlestick so they've been collecting rent all these years. But the first plan had a stadium on the same site, with a big shopping mall and the city just couldn't deliver.

Remember, Giants built AT&T Park pretty much on their own, without any city money.

When they unveiled the plans for this new stadium, it was pegged at just under a billion so who knows what it will cost if it comes under schedule for 2014.

They will probably try to rape fans with PSLs and other ridiculous charges.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #27
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

It'll be a shame to see Candlestick go. I know it must be a dump to people that go to the games but there was always a mistique about that stadium back in the glory days of the Niners.

Hopefully the new stadium will have Bill Walsh's name or statue attached to it somehow.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
I look up Google maps. Turns out there aren't much space to build a new stadium nearby.

Have they considered building one adjacent to Candlestick or was that also out of the question?

Santa Clara just seems so far away from San Francisco.
The big reason why the 49ers are "moving" is because the City of San Francisco has pretty much pushed them out.

Here's what the city has proposed and has also failed to do:

A) Candlestick Park is owned by the city of San Francisco and the biggest reason why its a dump is because the city has been using the money for other things. The team sued the city a few years over maintenance costs. Light poles have falled in the parking lot (which btw, totally sucks), speakers have fallen inside the stadium. Thankfully, those happened in the offseason and nobody was hurt.

B) The only place the city has offered is Hunter's Point, which isn't that far from Candlestick. Its a prime spot for a stadium, except it has one major problem. Its a superfund site. Its an old Navy shipyard and its one of the most polluted sites in the country. The Navy is working on cleaning it up, but the finish date is unknown. Any delay impacts the 49ers plans.

The 49ers have been trying to work with San Francisco for years and they finally decided to go with Santa Clara in 2006.

One big reason why they went with Santa Clara is because that's where their team facility and training camps are. The only thing they do in San Francisco is play 8 games in a rundown stadium that has fallen apart due the negligence of the site owners. The 49ers are a Santa Clara business, and have been for years.

The stadium is going to be built in that empty parking lot right across from the team facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
Well, I already listed the reasons why they didn't build it in the same spot (bad neighborhood, limited access to public transportation, etc.). Also, like the article in the first post stated, once the York family took over the team, they wanted the stadium to be built in Santa Clara. I honestly don't believe that San Francisco was ever an option for them.
San Francisco was an option, the city failed to come up with a viable option (offering a superfund site with a cleanup depended on federal dollars and not offering to help pay for the new infrastructure costs and instead expecting the team to pay for that as well) forced the Yorks to play their hand. They don't have the time to wait for Hunter's Point to get cleaned up. Like I said, any federal delay in the cleanup delays the stadium. The 49ers can't risk that.

What happens if there is a major earthquake, can Candlestick survive it (its a major concern)?

The inability of San Francisco forced the 49ers to go to Plan B, which was Santa Clara.

Last edited by linkboy; 06-13-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:33 AM   #29
MVP

A ballot measure that was passed in SF in 1997 that gave them the OK to remodel Candlestick, which included stores and a shopping mall and some other amenities never happened in San Francisco because when Eddie D had to give over control to his sister after the Louisiana Riverboat scandal in '97, it fell through and the measure had a time limit on it before it was null and void. Also the company they hired to get the plans together for construction, never was able to get a solid set of plans and now its Santa Clara's turn.

As a 49er fan, its a joke that a team like the 49ers couldn't get a stadium built before now. It will be interesting to see those ESPN or Nationally televised games when they show the Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Alcatraz and the Cable Cars going up Columbus Street then show the new stadium that is 45 miles away from any of those places. I know the Cowboys, Jets and Giants don't play in their respective cities or even state with the Giants and Jets, but its clear that the York's wanted out of SF more than they wanted to stay.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Man, this thing just keeps going up in price.

Quote:
Good thing is, 49ers ownership is well on its way to fixing all that with a new stadium 40 miles south in Santa Clara. The bad news? It's a $1.2 billion headache that's pissed off local residents before even a single brick has been laid down. Even better, parts of the most recent cost increases aren't even based in reality. That's because $50 million has been allocated for technology that hasn't been invented yet.
Link
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Ah so they want the 3-D LED screens,holographic FG posts and heated nanograss.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #32
Banned

They're asking for crazy money on seat licenses.

I might have been tempted to sign up for season tickets since it's so much closer than Candlestick but it looks like they're gouging after the first good season in about 10 years.

I have a feeling there could be local blackouts and a lot of season-ticket holders are going to look to sell a lot of tickets.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »