Home

Vince Young suspected of assault at a strip club

This is a discussion on Vince Young suspected of assault at a strip club within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #65
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Vince Young suspected of assault at a strip club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
The one difference here (imo) is we see exactly what influenced the fight here. A freaking upside down horns sign. I agree with all the talk about doing things at home, etc, etc. But if you can't go out and ignore that stupid **** then you deserve to get suspended. It's not like the guy sucker punched him.
You hit the nail on the head with this.

Come on, I've worn a Michigan hat and have random Ohio State fans harass me a bit (keep saying Michigan sucks, etc) in public and I don't go medieval on them. Yeah, you're being taunted, but part of being an adult is not getting into fights like this over idiotic things.

This'll be a suspension. Ben wasn't even charged or convicted and he's got a decent suspension. I think Roger will have to suspend him, especially if he's convicted of the misdemeanor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #66
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
The one difference here (imo) is we see exactly what influenced the fight here. A freaking upside down horns sign. I agree with all the talk about doing things at home, etc, etc. But if you can't go out and ignore that stupid **** then you deserve to get suspended. It's not like the guy sucker punched him.
LOL did you watch the actual video? How do you know a Horns down is the only thing that influenced the scuffle?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #67
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Ben wasn't even charged or convicted and he's got a decent suspension. I think Roger will have to suspend him, especially if he's convicted of the misdemeanor.
If you read the police report on Big Ben, it will probably become very clear to you why the NFL suspended him

Men getting into a minor scuffle at a club is not at the moral level of what Big Ben did, not even close...regardless of being issued a ticket or not
Old 06-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #68
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
LOL did you watch the actual video? How do you know a Horns down is the only thing that influenced the scuffle?
I know that whatever happened didn't escalate physically until Young took it there. That's all that needs to be known.

And in comparison to Ben, if there was any video footage of him initiating ANYTHING he would've been gone for the season (and probably locked up).
Old 06-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #69
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
It doesn't and shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter what dude said to him. Especially something so trivial like the downward hook 'em.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #70
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Yeah not a huge deal imo. Obviously Young isn't that bright, and isn't that mature, but that's old news. We've all known that for a while.

I don't expect a suspension, I expect a fine and a warning, and that would be the end of it. He's got no previous run ins with the law that I know of, and this was relatively minor.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #71
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
If you read the police report on Big Ben, it will probably become very clear to you why the NFL suspended him

Men getting into a minor scuffle at a club is not at the moral level of what Big Ben did, not even close...regardless of being issued a ticket or not
Im so sick of this crap, yeah call Ben an idiot for being in a situation like that but don't go saying Goodell was just in how he hadled it...... A poster from another board put it far better then I ever could

I agree with allemong when he expresses this opinion:

Roger Goodell's Player Conduct Policy will not be enforced here. Disappointingly so. I've written previously about the PCP on other sites (amateur sports articles) and done some analysis on PCP enforcement. The Policy is less a policy and more of a PR tool. When the media screams and the screaming won't stop, Roger steps in and lays down the law thus appearing to be policing the NFL. The fact is far more crimes and "embarrassing the shield" situations go unattended-to than are addressed. Only 16 players have faced any form of PCP suspension since Goodell came to office.

Ben was punished because of the media outcry and the backlash from the Michael Vick situation (he's black, Ben's white, what are you gonna do) and Roger was forced to act. In fact they re-wrote the PCP prior to punishing Ben so that they could punish Ben. In so doing they made the ability to punish players under the PCP far more lenient and open and stepped on the proverbial slippery slope. I digress.

Nick Kaczur was caught distributing drugs from Canada to the USA, and worked with Federal agents to bust the ring he helped support. Neither the Patriots or the NFL penalized him.

Larry Johnson has been charged with assaulting women 4 times in the past (charged mind you, not accused). He was suspended 1 game despite 4 arrests (Ben was never even charged).

Phillip Merling still practices with the Dolphins (heck he was there a day after his arrest practicing) after punching his pregnant fiance and mother of his first child five times in the face. There is a 911 call to support her claim.

Steve Smith broke Ken Lucas' nose in training camp (last year?). This was his second offense. In 2002 he assaulted a fellow teammate in the film room (not even on the field) and said player filed civil suit against Smith. Smith never was punished by the NFL (but was for a short period by the team).

Eric Foster was named in a nearly identical civil suit as Ben was in Vegas. Asked a female hotel employee to come to his room. She does. He assaults her, or so she says. Case simply disappears without so much as a peep from the NFL.

Brandon Marshall is fully an entire different story with countless arrests/accusations of abusing his girlfriend/women. In one 2 year period, police were summoned to his home in Denver 11 times alone. His illegal rap sheet is so long that ESPN Outside the Lines ran a one hour special. I've looked it up. It's scary it's so long and dangerous. The NFL suspended him a mere game.

Several Miami Dolphin players have been accused of assault & batter against - police officers - yes the police themselves. Not a single one has ever been suspended by either the Dolphins or the league.

There are countless examples. The reason Vince won't get suspended is he won't damage the shield because in a day or two no one will be talking about this - and Roger won't have to do anything.

And finally here is the telling statistic. Since Roger took office in April 2006, there have been 249 arrests/citations of NFL players.

Let me repeat that - 249. 16 have faced further penalty from the Player Conduct Policy. That is only 6% of players arrested/cited have faced further penalty under the PCP.

I'm not sure if you call the portrayal of Goodell as The Enforcer as hypocritical or not. The numbers don't lie.

Warren Sapp said it best in 2006 - ""What the (bad word) rule did he break?" Sapp asked. Told that Goodell invoked "conduct detrimental to the game" powers, Sapp said, "Oh, that 'we can do whatever we want' rule. Believe me, you don't want to be there. Some people said that Pacman might want to appeal. To who? God? But let's be real: THIS IS ABOUT PATCHING THINGS UP WITH OUR SPONSORS."

The PCP is a PR policy used when the media needs to be placated - not to enforce true player behavior

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 06-14-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 47

I love when players **** up, they always come out with the "time to grow up comment" Classic Vince. And you are right it is time to grow up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »