Home

So....What Team has More Championships?

This is a discussion on So....What Team has More Championships? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Banned

RememberMe12's Arena

OVR: 3
So....What Team has More Championships?

Of course as you can see, I am biased because I am a Green Bay Packers fan. Steeler fans and I get into it all the time because we debate who has the most championships.

While I have openly admitted to the Steelers having the most Superbowls, it seems they want to discredit the notion that my franchise has the most championships.

I want to hear everyone's opinion, who has the most World Titles? Should we discredit the pre-superbowl era?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: So....What Team has More Championships?

No...the pre-superbowl era should not at all be discredited...if you forget about it, than you forget about Jim Brown and the great Browns teams, the great Packers teams,...the Baltimore/NYGiants showdown...the list is considerable.

There were fewer teams then, but that shouldn't be a big deal...no one discredits World Series victories from 100 years ago...(especially Cubs fans like me!)

There are 2 eras in football...pre- and post-forward-passing...

Maybe a sub-era for the generation we are in now, given the rules changes that have opened up the passing game and seemed to have diminished the running game...
Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I wouldn't discredit them, but I do view them differently because of all the major changes that have happened since that time. You had things like the college all-star game with the college team matching up well against and sometimes even beating the NFL champions. A lot of NFL championships were won before the NFL could assert its dominance as the pinnacle of football skill-wise.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
MVP

BigBoi23's Arena

OVR: 9

It's like comparing a BMW and a Mercedes-Benz. Both franchises are extremely classy and successful. Let the legacies speak for themselves.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Only Super Bowls seem to matter. Eagles get a lot of crap about not winning one, yet they have multiple Championships in the pre-Super Bowl era

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 55

Any NFL Championship won before the AFL/NFL merger technically counts, but doesn't have nearly as much merit as the ones after the merger did. You have to remember that there were only 14 teams in the entire NFL in 1965 (the last season before the merger) and it was only a 14 game season and there were no playoff games besides a single championship game to determine the winner.

Winning a Super Bowl in the modern era (especially since the Wild Card was implemented) is astronomically harder and much more impressive of a feat then winning an NFL Championship was in the 1960s was.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
MVP

BigBoi23's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Any NFL Championship won before the AFL/NFL merger technically counts, but doesn't have nearly as much merit as the ones after the merger did. You have to remember that there were only 14 teams in the entire NFL in 1965 (the last season before the merger) and it was only a 14 game season and there were no playoff games besides a single championship game to determine the winner.

Winning a Super Bowl in the modern era (especially since the Wild Card was implemented) is astronomically harder and much more impressive of a feat then winning an NFL Championship was in the 1960s was.
While I agree with you to some extent, I usually define a championship as being the best team in your league regardless of how many teams there are.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoi23
While I agree with you to some extent, I usually define a championship as being the best team in your league regardless of how many teams there are.
It is the definition of a championship.

But if you are going to use that as an argument that you have more or as many championships as another team, while "technically" you may be right, you may have a difficult time convincing people that you have more meaningful championships.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »