Home

Question for Cowboys fans

This is a discussion on Question for Cowboys fans within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #25
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Question for Cowboys fans

Eagles

I can use the Giants and Skins on Madden football (although not against the Boys), but I cant use the Eagles because it makes me feel too dirty lol

Last edited by ZB9; 07-06-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 3

I think it really depends on who we're playing and what the circumstances are.

There was a period of time from 99 to about 2006 I could not stand the Eagles because I knew it was an instant loss for us.

Giants have been the team to hate ever since they wiped us out of the playoffs during our 13-3 season. That was our SB that year and I stand to this day saying we would have made it had we not had to play them 3 times in one season.

You also add in the fact that every game in the Meadowlands has been added with some form of Cowboys losing their manhood moment or being trucked sticked into the endzone and there are plenty reasons to hate New York.

Washington I really don't care about. It's the traditional rivalry, but because both teams have not been good at the same time in over 20 years, it kinda loses it appeal to me. I have more dislike for New Orleans than I do Washington honestly.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Certainly don't want to turn this into a Skins v Boys thread but I'm not sure how you disproved my point... besides to say they've had the same amount of playoff success (1-2 v 1-3 in the playoffs).

The question is about rivals and the throw away answer is "not the Skins bc they suck" and specifically "I've gone into each season expecting to win both games against them."

In that sense, I'm not sure why looking at overall record matters as much as head to head where they're dead even during that timeframe. I guess you could argue that the games aren't for division championship, but they are division games so they actually could be no matter how good or bad one of the two teams are that year. But my point is, no matter the record, the teams pretty much split (and play close games) pretty much every year so it's funny how quickly Boys fans dismiss the Skins.
Trust me from a Cowboys perspective, nobody fears the Redskins moreso than they know that the Skins game will be the one game all year that Washnigton will play hard. Or it'll be one game where something fantasy or ridiculous will happen..

but nobody I associate with fears them at this point like they do NY or Philly...

The difference is key because in the NFC East everybody is a potential sweep situation, but Washington because of their overall crappiness never gets that type of credit. I see his point, and I see yours too.

And some of the losses Dallas had vs. Washington during that stretch of splits is downright comical:

and the list continues...

2008's 12 men on the field allows Washington turn a 1 score game into 2 at Texas Stadium.
2007 - The #1 seed let down in the final game in which Washington made the playoffs and held barber to like 0 yards.
2006's - the above mentioned FG debacle.
2005 - Moss's Monday Night Miracle

Even when the Boys sucked during the really lean years of the early 2000s we found ways to beat the Skins inclduing two of our 5 wins in 2001 vs. Washigton... Tis the magic of the rivarly, but also why it is in the gutter likewise.

Last edited by lilbiggio; 07-06-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbiggio
Trust me from a Cowboys perspective, nobody fears the Redskins moreso than they know that the Skins game will be the one game all year that Washnigton will play hard. Or it'll be one game where something fantasy or ridiculous will happen..

but nobody I associate with fears them at this point like they do NY or Philly...

The difference is key because in the NFC East everybody is a potential sweep situation, but Washington because of their overall crappiness never gets that type of credit. I see his point, and I see yours too.

And some of the losses Dallas had vs. Washington during that stretch of splits is downright comical:

and the list continues...

2008's 12 men on the field allows Washington turn a 1 score game into 2 at Texas Stadium.
2007 - The #1 seed let down in the final game in which Washington made the playoffs and held barber to like 0 yards.
2006's - the above mentioned FG debacle.
2005 - Moss's Monday Night Miracle

Even when the Boys sucked during the really lean years of the early 2000s we found ways to beat the Skins inclduing two of our 5 wins in 2001 vs. Washigton... Tis the magic of the rivarly, but also why it is in the gutter likewise.
"Tis the magic of the rivalry" is my point exactly. I'm not a boys fan and only partially a Skins fan so I don't have much say in this thread. But to me, a rivalry has little to do with how good or bad each team is bc when they play each other, anything can and does happen... and the Skins/Boys rivalry shows that time and time again. I can certainly understand why there's more emotion around playing the Giants and Eagles so I don't begrudge any of you that put the Skins last on the list. It's just funny when the reason is that they suck or Boys fans always expect to beat them... since neither team has had any real success in a long time, and the series is pretty much split recently.

And honestly, I bring that up more bc it always amazes me the vast difference in the perception of the two teams when the reality is at the end of the season, they end up being in pretty much the same place. I guess bc it always looks like the Boys are on the verge of changing that, and the Skins moves have been comical many times. But I can't speak for the number of Boys fans in Philly or NY... there are a TON in DC, so that rivalry certainly seems a lot more alive around these parts than what this thread is showing so far.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Definitely the Eagles. I despise everything about the team, the city and their fans. I even root against Philly teams in sports I would otherwise have no interest in.

Same, except with Eagles with Cowboys and Philadelphia with Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I hate Philly for one reason: cheering the career ending injury of Michael Irvin. That alone optimizes the trash that is Iggles fans.
Dude - that was 12 years ago and 99% of Eagles fans are disgusted by that incident anyway. Get over yourself

Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #30
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
There could be many reasons why Boys fans don't consider them "relevant" or a rival, but the idea that it's because the Boys walk over them on a yearly basis is a false perception that seems to be fairly universal for some reason.
None of the games in the East are easy.. When we play any one in our
division, they are always physical and hard games..I always feel like
any team in the division can beat us. Even if they are having a bad year,
they play harder during cowboy week..Redskins games are always close..

My most hated team is the Giants..
Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #31
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24

Eagles.

The Irving incident cemented that for the rest of my life. I grew up in Texas worshipping "The Triplets". One of the reasons this list makes me extremely happy.

Super Bowl victories:

Dallas: 5
NYG: 3
Washington: 3
Philly: 0
Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #32
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote: