Home

Johnson vs. Johnson who's the better WR?

This is a discussion on Johnson vs. Johnson who's the better WR? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who's the better Johnson?
Andre 100 65.36%
Calvin 53 34.64%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #281
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: Johnson vs. Johnson who's the better WR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Squeezy
You can base an offense around Andre (as the Texans have since he was drafted, pretty much) and I'm not sure you can do that with Calvin (yet).
Wow. If you honestly believe this statement, then you clearly haven't watched enough Lions games to see how much attention Calvin Johnson commands on the field from opposing defenders. Watching him live, any observer would see he draws the attention of at least three defenders (four from 3-4 teams) at all times. Scott Linehan's offense based entirely around him and the windows and openings he creates for teammates in the middle and opposite side of the field. Now the Lions finally have the teammates who can more often than not beat their single-coverage matchups to find those openings, and the quarterback that has the arm strength and IQ to get the football to them at the right moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
I think Calvin Johnson is just athletically gifted enough to where it won't matter whether or not he runs the most precise routes. Moss never went across the middle. Still put up Hall of Fame numbers. I expect Calvin to do the same. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just throwing that out there.
Calvin Johnson willingly goes across the middle to run slants routes and dig routes (the latter of which was mainly during Mike Martz days as offensive coordinator), and has always done that when asked of him to do so. Of course he doesn't do it as often as a typical slot receiver would, but then he would also be doing opposing defenses a big favor if he's not being utilized primarily as a deep or intermediate threat. Besides, being primarily a short to intermediate middle-of-the-field threat is what the Lions acquired Brandon Pettigrew, Nate Burleson and Jahvid Best for.

As for Calvin Johnson's rank, I think #6 in this feature article says it best: Week Four Monday 10-pack

Oh, and Cris Carter finally owns up as well with his hilarious comments as well.

Kruza
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #282
Rookie

100% Texan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Johnson vs. Johnson who's the better WR?

dre is still the best

calvin is a better redzone target tho.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #283
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I just wish people would understand that saying someone (anyone) isn't the best isn't the same as saying they're the worse... or even bad. Being considered 2nd best (or 1B even) is amazing, and those who put Calvin in that category still expect him to do amazing things. Not sure how him doing amazing things over a quarter of a season would change anyone's mind.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #284
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Having the past two season play out (plus I haven't seen a thread about Megatron breaking Jerry Rice's record) I just thought it would be neat to bump this thread. Two years later how do you guys see Calvin Johnson now?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #285
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

It's one of those things where both are outstanding and you'd love to have either on your team. Megatron is having an unreal season, but in reality he has a greater opportunity to put up these type of numbers given the pass heavy system he's in. So I don't think it'd be fair to slight Andre because Calvin is breaking records.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #286
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

I didn't read back through the thread again but if I remember correctly, the consensus was that Calvin was set to take over the throne but hadn't quite put it all together yet. So, in that sense, I'd say he's doing what everyone expected. He's head and shoulders above what he was doing when this thread was made, and was still in a top 2 WR discussion back then. Guy's a freak.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #287
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

No doubt Calvin has put up 2 ridiculous years since this thread. He's 6 seasons in and is now the all-time leader in yards per game. If the vote was today, I'd change to Calvin. He's probably going to put up about 4 more years like he had last year. I don't see him having another year yards-wise like this one. The Lions trailed a lot this year and chucked the ball around at historic-type levels.

Side note - I had a chuckle at my Marshall comments. It was nice to see him keep his nose clean in his first year with the Bears and continue to be the solid top 10 receiver he is.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #288
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
I still don't know. I'm sure Andre could put up these crazy numbers If the Texans weren't a run first team an If he was force fed the ball like the Lions do with Calvin.

Then again Andre always seems to have some sort of nagging injury every year. That would be the only reason I would take Calvin.

I still don't believe either of them are better then Fitz. Fitz can do everything they can do an is just being wasted by the trash Arizona puts at QB. He's Kurt Warner's biggest fan.

I have all 3 equal

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »