Home

To scramble or not to scramble?

This is a discussion on To scramble or not to scramble? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Rookie

petersondagreat's Arena

OVR: 6
To scramble or not to scramble?

Im watching NFL network and they are having a debate on Cam Newton and saying how he needs to stay in the pocket and make throws because running wont work in this league. Now if Cam just stayed in the pocket then would that be Cam or Chris Weinke? To me he can dictate defenses with his scrambling ability Im not saying he should pull it down and run every other play but he should definetly run to ive the defense something to think about. Im a titans fan and when we had VY we saw completely different defenses with him on the field ex playing the colts they would have Bob Sanders spy him the whole game which takes him away from making plays in the secondary where as with collins he was always somewhere around the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: To scramble or not to scramble?

if you have a spy on a running QB it forces them to throw and if they cant throw the ball well then they become very ineffective. The bucs had derrick brooks spy against vick when he was with the falcons and the bucs were consistently able to do well against them. So just scrambling to scramble might work the first few games or even first season but teams will scheme for it the 2nd time around. If your going to be a good QB in the NFL you need to be able to play well from the pocket.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Rookie

petersondagreat's Arena

OVR: 6

I understand that I just hate when these so called experts and coaches get in these guys heads and then they feel like they have something to prove and say Im going to win the game from the pocket and ignore the fact that i can run. Ive watched Titan games where VY would have a huge running lane but not take because he feels like he has to prove he can throw
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersondagreat
I understand that I just hate when these so called experts and coaches get in these guys heads and then they feel like they have something to prove and say Im going to win the game from the pocket and ignore the fact that i can run. Ive watched Titan games where VY would have a huge running lane but not take because he feels like he has to prove he can throw
Trust me, Cam will rely on what got him to the league when it matters and the pressure is on. He will run when he must. He just wont be running Auburn's offense. That would be suicide.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I think Newton should focus on staying in the pocket the first few preseason games and then in the last game or 2, then try to put it all together before the season starts. Scrambling will absolutely have to be a part of his game though.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

The answer lies somewhere in the middle.

They need to focus on their pocket passing, but their ability to scramble is what can really set them apart. The best example is Michael Vick last year. He finally became an effective pocket passer, but still scrambled (and not just for positive yardage but to buy some time to find an open receiver) and look at that, he had the best season of his career and in one year has elevated himself back up to be a top QB in the league.

Simply put, if you can't pass and you're a QB, you can be as fast, agile, athletic as you want, but you'll never be more then mediocre. When you master the pass game and mix in incredible scrambling ability (and sheer physical size that Newton has), you become dangerous.

I think it's going to be one or the other for Newton. He's either going to get it (and it could take 3-4 years, maybe even longer as it has for Vick) or he won't and he'll end up chilling with JaMarcus Russell. I tend to think he's not going to live up to that #1 pick, but I sure hope he pans out because I really want to see how NFL defenses try to contain him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
The answer lies somewhere in the middle.

They need to focus on their pocket passing, but their ability to scramble is what can really set them apart. The best example is Michael Vick last year. He finally became an effective pocket passer, but still scrambled (and not just for positive yardage but to buy some time to find an open receiver) and look at that, he had the best season of his career and in one year has elevated himself back up to be a top QB in the league.

Simply put, if you can't pass and you're a QB, you can be as fast, agile, athletic as you want, but you'll never be more then mediocre. When you master the pass game and mix in incredible scrambling ability (and sheer physical size that Newton has), you become dangerous.

I think it's going to be one or the other for Newton. He's either going to get it (and it could take 3-4 years, maybe even longer as it has for Vick) or he won't and he'll end up chilling with JaMarcus Russell. I tend to think he's not going to live up to that #1 pick, but I sure hope he pans out because I really want to see how NFL defenses try to contain him.
Spot on on every point.

Remember, Steve Young was almost a pure scrambler when he first came into the league and was a bust with the Bucs. He finally got it together with the Niners but in that short timeframe when he was clearly Joe Montana's backup and had to come in when he was injured or whatnot Young still scrambled like crazy when he felt the need to.

It took Steve Young about 4 or so years before it REALLY clicked for him. Hell even John Elway was a bit of a scrambler when he first came into the league and while he became a polished pocket guy who can roll out by his 3rd year he never quite put away his scrambling ability. If Newton "gets it" he'll be like those two and while I don't think he'll be a HOFer he'll have a long career. If not, well he'll be another in a long line of busts.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

Scrambling is the only reason Cam went #1. If Carolina wanted a pocket passer, they could have waited until the 2nd round, or traded down. Scrambling QB's can succeed in this league, they just have to be capable of adjusting to QB spies. Elway, S. Young, McNabb, McNair and Cunningham are great examples of scrambling QB's who managed to put it all together.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »