Home

Irritated with double standards in the NFL

This is a discussion on Irritated with double standards in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7
Irritated with double standards in the NFL

As much as I like the NFL , there are some racial issues that the league has that get on my nerves:

You rarely see a team that has a starting wide receiver that is white who is NOT a slot receiver. Slot receivers are often a team's 3rd and sparely used option so its like saying that white receivers cannot be used as a primary option for teams to be successful.

You never see black QB's that are described as "smart" or "accurate" . Most white QB's are described as "students of the game" and announcers go on and on about how the best of them are so smart but the best of black qb's are never described that way.

Pocket passing black QB's are thought of to be garbage, for example Jason Campbell..the guy's stats are really not that bad. Black Qb's are expected to scramble and get 15 yards when the pocket breaks down rather than looking down field for a break down in coverage. (donovan mcnabb even stated once that black qb's have to make plays not only with their arm but more so with their feet in order to be successful in this league. I know some people remember how much flack he got for that comment years ago)

Andrew Luck is a fast runner who can pick up lots of yards off of scrambling outside the pocket, yet you never see the colts draw up designed run plays for him. Probably because he is white and white players are not supposed to be athletic, right? BS!!!! However, RG3 (who is barely 215 pounds soaking wet) and Cam Newton (who runs the same 40 time as Luck) are expected to run the ball almost as much as they pass and put themselves at higher risk for injury. I hate that Michael Vick has to be the standard for black QB's in this league. Why couldnt players like Doug Williams, Steve Mcnair, or Warren Moon be standards for black QB's in this league?

White players are never thought of to be natural "athletes".

Black qb's are thought of as being bad leaders and that's why none of them have won a super bowl since Doug Williams (a co-worker said that). Well, if you look at it, in any given year, there are not many black qb's that start so its kinda hard for them to win if they are on the bench.

All of this is so stupid. I hear these types of stereotypes come up everywhere I go and have discussions about football, particularly at work. Maybe i just work with a bunch of dummies...hmmm

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Irritated with double standards in the NFL

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Racial discussion is explicitly forbidden in the Operation Sports TOS.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »