Home

Jamarcus Russell attempting a comeback

This is a discussion on Jamarcus Russell attempting a comeback within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Jamarcus Russell attempting a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I just mentioned this in another thread. The rules are different for the top 1% of any profession. So Russel does deserve a second chance. But that doesn't mean it has to come in the NFL. People are saying that Tebow should go to the CFL, why not this guy.

He clearly didn't care enough about being an NFL player early enough in his career. A part of me thinks that his comeback is motivated by $$$. I hope I'm wrong about that.

All the best to him, but he has an uphill battle of epic proportions if he wants to have a sustained NFL career not just be guy number 53 on the roster.
Why does it matter what his motivation is? Whether his motivation is purely financial or a desire for football success, he won't get that chance unless he proves he deserves it by working hard and he'll lose it the second he wavers from that. If it's motivated by $$$ but he puts in the necessary work to earn and keep a roster spot somewhere, I see nothing wrong with him getting that opportunity.

Definitely agreed about it being an uphill battle though, regardless of what his motivations may be.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #58
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL253
PS: I'm starting to dislike sports websites. Every time a story about a particular athlete comes out, people will drag said athlete's name through the dirt, regardless of whether or not such treatment is deserved. Sure, Jamarcus Russell is a bust, but a thief? Chill. He signed a front-loaded contact with guaranteed money. Blame Al Davis, or whoever wrote up that contract...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
Nice post jWILL. Ok, it's funny to make jokes about his weight, or the mistakes his made. But the guy can obviously play football. Otherwise he would of never gotten into it. As mentioned, whoever loaded his contract like that most likely messed with Russells head. Some guys can't handle that all in one go.

Money corrupts the best of us. I'll be honest if someone offered me that much money without me even having to prove myself at the highest level, I'd most likely end up the same. Dollar signs in my eyes and all. Money ****'s with people. Give the guy a chance to prove himself. If it doens't work out, fine, move on.
Why are we talking about blame whoever front loaded his deal and him being OFFERED all this money like dude was just chilling on the park bench and old crazy coot Al came along with his bag of money to innocent Jamarcus and handed it over? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did this dude not HOLDOUT after the draft for like six or seven weeks for that contract? That was how long summer vaction was from school back in the day.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #59
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichettehappens
Why does it matter what his motivation is? Whether his motivation is purely financial or a desire for football success, he won't get that chance unless he proves he deserves it by working hard and he'll lose it the second he wavers from that. If it's motivated by $$$ but he puts in the necessary work to earn and keep a roster spot somewhere, I see nothing wrong with him getting that opportunity.

Definitely agreed about it being an uphill battle though, regardless of what his motivations may be.
I never said it did. That was one sentence out of everything I wrote. His motivation is his own.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #60
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Why are we talking about blame whoever front loaded his deal and him being OFFERED all this money like dude was just chilling on the park bench and old crazy coot Al came along with his bag of money to innocent Jamarcus and handed it over? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did this dude not HOLDOUT after the draft for like six or seven weeks for that contract? That was how long summer vaction was from school back in the day.
Exactly. Held out into the preseason, lost out on any chance of starting from day 1 and trying to be a true leader, from the get-go it was about the money. Just some perspective:

Quote:
The real problem, according to both sources, is Oakland has been unwilling to give a full "skill" guarantee to the $29 million. To this point, the Raiders only have guaranteed all the money in case Russell gets injured.

A skill guarantee covers a player in case he is cut because a team simply doesn't consider him good enough. Such questions of talent seem odd for the No. 1 overall pick.

"The Raiders were told that structure wasn't going to work then and it's not going to work now," a source said. "It's completely unacceptable. No No. 1 pick has ever agreed to that kind of deal in the salary cap era, and it's not going to start now."

There have been 15 players drafted No. 1 overall since 1993. According to an NFL Players Association source, none of them has received a contract that did not include the skill and injury guarantees.

In addition, both sources said Oakland has tried to push a large amount of the guaranteed money back to being paid in the fourth year of the contract.

"That's ridiculous, too, because if the kid turns out to be a great player, they're going to want to redo the deal after the third year, just like what the Bengals did with Carson Palmer and Atlanta with Michael Vick," the source said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...srussell080507
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #61
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Full first episode

I'm interested in watching the rest of the series.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 0
Just wondering why Raiders have not succeeded with those wideouts they have a lot if size and speed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 0
Anyway the guy can sling a football.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »