Home

A11FL to begin play in May on ESPN2

This is a discussion on A11FL to begin play in May on ESPN2 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: A11FL to begin play in May on ESPN2

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...

Lolol.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
And how is it strange? The residents of Califonia themselves refer to the state as a bunch of different geographic regions. You have Northern California, the Bay Area, the Central Coast, Southern California and then a few larger regions like the San Joaquin Valley and the Cascade/Sierra area.

This is just a case of you not being familiar with any terminology.
"any terminology", yeah, that's wholly inaccurate.

I'm familiar with all of the terminology seeing how I live in the United States, and I'm familiar with what the residents of those areas refer to their areas as, seeing how I've had to spend an awful lot of time in California over the years. That's a completely separate matter. I don't believe we've ever heard of a pro football team having a location name with "Area" before, so that part is unfamiliar in general.

I thought the UFL's "Florida Tuskers" sounded more collegiate than pro, and kind of soft as well, and that was one a lot of people joked about. Some names are just not going to fly nationally. I don't think that one even flew in Florida.

I just don't like how some of those areas would sound for the name of a pro football team. Some just sound semi-proish/high school-ish to me. For example, something like the "Sierra Area Sea Lions" or "San Joaquin Valley Area Sea Lions" would sound ridiculous to me for a pro football team, even Bay Area would sound better to me even though I don't particularly like it. Even though the people who know the areas would be okay with them (and I honestly think a lot of them probably wouldn't like them either), that's not enough. You have to consider how they will be received nationally, too. Those names would be very tough to brand nationally. I can see somebody in New York wearing a Dallas Wranglers jersey, but I can't see somebody in New York running around with a "San Joaquin Valley Area Sea Lions" jersey on

I can tolerate Southern California for an area name, Northern even, but even both of those sound to me like region-names Collegiate teams would use.

But as I've said, it's just my personal feeling about it and it'll just have to grow on me, assuming they ever even get to play. They still have to get through the test games before we even reach the point where any of this really matters.

Last edited by FaceMask; 02-20-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Honestly I hear Bay Area a ton more in normal conversation than I hear New England.
Living on the West coast has a little something to do with that, I'm sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...

Lolol.
The 37.8044° N, 122.2708° W Area Raiders
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Carolina. New England.
But they had enough sense not to call themselves Carolina AREA or New England AREA.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 1

This league is never going to make it. The A-11 Offense is silly garbage. I don't even consider it real football.

The guys who started the league were using it with their high school team until it got outlawed or something, and I guess they got so pissed that they just said screw it we'll start our own league.

They'll play these two games and be gone. A-11 is nonsense.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #39
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

"Bay Area" is the entire term that is commonly used to describe that region. I don't get why this is hard to understand. Of course they wouldn't add "Area" to all these other examples listed. It's because "Area" isn't part of the common term associated with them.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #40
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

They call their transit system the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). It's capitalized when you see it if they are referring to the San Francisco region. It's really not an odd term at all. Type it in on Google and you get a bunch of links to something regarding the region. Always capitalized. Trying to say "New England area" or "Carolina area" is just you guys adding unnecessary words that no one says.

And it's not like California isn't home of the Golden State Warriors. Your arguments are you guys just being ignorant to the terms, which is fine, but don't try to paint it as some way out there term. Living on the West Coast has nothing to do with it either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »