Home

" If Al Davis passes on him, he's making a big mistake. "

This is a discussion on " If Al Davis passes on him, he's making a big mistake. " within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
\" If Al Davis passes on him, he\'s making a big mistake. \"

Link

This is what one of the people attending Big Ben's supposed impressive workout said after watching him put on a show for NFL personel. This is after his poor showing at the combine earlier.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: \" If Al Davis passes on him, he\'s making a big mistake. \"

I'd still take Fitzgerald over Roethlisberger. An outstanding WR with insane leaping ability and body control can make an average QB look great; but a great QB with sub-par receivers (after Rice and Brown decide to get the canes out of their lockers and retire) still struggles more than he should.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:

TCrouch said:
I'd still take Fitzgerald over Roethlisberger. An outstanding WR with insane leaping ability and body control can make an average QB look great; but a great QB with sub-par receivers (after Rice and Brown decide to get the canes out of their lockers and retire) still struggles more than he should.

Not sure I agree with that. Works both ways. McNabb has done OK but not up to potential in Philly.. Whereas a guy like David Boston was awesome but Plummer was still horrible in Arizona. I think Fiedler, Quincy Carter, also good examples. Chambers/McMichael/Rotating #3 guy and Glenn/Galloway/Bryant are both solid cores but at the same time both QB's appeared average on their best days. I think it's a two way street. A bad QB will look bad even if he has good WR's. Bad WR's will look bad even if they have a good QB.

Side note: What about a guy like Favre? Now he's truly a legend and I'm not saying Ben will compare to Favre necessarily, but I think he's an example of someone that it COULD BE ARGUED made his WR's better. I mean he worked/works with average most of his career. A couple decent recievers for different spurts (Sterling Sharpe), but aside from that, you see guys like Bill Schroeder and Corey Bradford tear it up in GB and then go and do nothing elsewhere.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 17

lol..Galloway/Glenn/Bryant wasn't as good as some dallas fans would like to think.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:

Bad_Intentions said:
lol..Galloway/Glenn/Bryant wasn't as good as some dallas fans would like to think.

They were pretty decent. They were a lot better than QCar made them look, even though I personally can't stand Glenn.. but you get my point when I said that..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Fitzgerald's ability to absolutely bitch triple coverage is what makes it different. Boston was never a huge-leaper that would snatch a ball out of the air, regardless of body position, and pull it back into his body in the blink of an eye...then get hit 4 times before he hit the ground, and still hold onto the catch. Randy Moss is the best comparison. Culpepper chucks it up in the air, and Moss finds a way to grab it. Many, many QB's with a strong arm can fill that role. You don't have to take one of the marquis signal-callers at #2; you could take a playmaker down the field and still get a strong-armed guy in the 2nd round. I am very hesitant to take a QB at the top...and this time, especially since it's so reminiscient of the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf gig. "Peyton's safer, but Leaf has so much more POTENTIAL!!!"

I'm getting off track with the comparisons, though. A receiver that can catch ANYTHING in his vicinity will make a QB look good. A QB that can nail a gnat off a fly's *** from 30 yards will still have sub-par years if the target drops it. Boston/Plummer is tough to compare it to, because Boston was fast and strong...he never has been an out-leaping phenomenon. Randy Moss is the only comparison you can make, and it sure makes Culpepper's numbers better than they would be without Moss on the field.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 17

Quote:

Dallasin2K3 said:
Quote:

Bad_Intentions said:

They were pretty decent. They were a lot better than QCar made them look, even though I personally can't stand Glenn.. but you get my point when I said that..

not really, Galloway was totally soft, he refused to fight for a ball in traffic and ran pissy routes, Glenn was ok but he had his fair share of drops and never could really pull in the big catch, Bryant totally digressed and he even admitted he could have had a much better year. All 3 of them had concentration problems, but Galloway sticks out the most, he was what the 5th leading receiver on the team
Old 03-26-2004, 12:09 AM   #8
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

One of the best thing about Fitzgerald is that he seems to be one of the few very talented recievers that is completely grounded. Money could change that, but I think he's gonna be able to handle the transition to being a pro very well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »