Home

Why do people like Phillip Rivers so much?

This is a discussion on Why do people like Phillip Rivers so much? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #33
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Why do people like Phillip Rivers so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
That's a great hypothetical.

Does Rivers bring the Giants 2 SB's? Does Eli deliver more success for SD?

If you ask me, Rivers is the better QB. I'd imagine that's the universal feeling. But the Giants SB runs were a perfect storm of great defense and Eli stepping up his play. Rivers is capable of that, but who knows if he would have in those situations? So I'm not sure if he brings NYG a title, let alone 2. Everything aligned for the Giants, we could replay those playoff games again and it might not happen again.

But I feel pretty confident that the Chargers would be a bit worse off with Eli. Then again, just like he made magic happen with the Giants, maybe he could've done the same for San Diego?

We'll never know. I enjoy these "what if?" scenarios.
I'd take Rivers over Eli, but I think it's closer than Eli gets credit for. My guess is the team success would be similar. Giants D stepped up in those SB years. Without it they were the Chargers or worse. And I don't see Eli lifting the Chargers when they did have a good D.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #34
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

Rivers also had Manning and Brady and Roethlisberger hanging around...

No such comparison in the NFC

And yes, I know Eli beat Brady twice in the Superbowl...but I don't think that's analogous to having to potentially run that gauntlet every year just to reach a Conf Championship or Super Bowl.

Last edited by fugazi; 02-23-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #35
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

No doubt Philip is a gamer. He is always at his best when he is talking smack. Very similar to Dan Fouts who was not able to play big in the huge games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #36
Banned

AaronS444's Arena

OVR: 0
Why do people like Phillip Rivers so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi
Rivers also had Manning and Brady and Roethlisberger hanging around...

No such comparison in the NFC

And yes, I know Eli beat Brady twice in the Superbowl...but I don't think that's analogous to having to potentially run that gauntlet every year just to reach a Conf Championship or Super Bowl.

In 2007 Manning had to win 3 road games to get to the SB. He didn't throw a single INT, and his QB rating was over 100 combined in those 3 games.

.. and he had to beat Brett Favre in his building.

Not much different for the second SB. 2 road wins. 8 tds, 1 pick, QB rating well over 100.. Considerably out-dueled Aaron Rodgers, who may have had the best season ever for a QB in 2011.

He didn't have an easy road in either of his Super Bowls seasons.

And while most will credit the Giants defense, Manning certainly did his part to bring home hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by AaronS444; 02-23-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #37
MVP

fugazi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS444
In 2007 Manning had to win 3 road games to get to the SB. He didn't throw a single INT, and his QB rating was over 100 combined in those 3 games.

.. and he had to beat Brett Favre in his building.

Not much different for the second SB. 2 road wins. 8 tds, 1 pick, QB rating well over 100.. Considerably out-dueled Aaron Rodgers, who may have had the best season ever for a QB in 2011.

He didn't have an easy road in either of his Super Bowls seasons.

And while most will credit the Giants defense, Manning certainly did his part to bring home hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still think it's a little different...but after looking more closely, the greatest knock against him might be that the team has frequently missed the playoff is what was, until Manning's arrival in Denver, a relatively weak division.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #38
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi
I still think it's a little different...but after looking more closely, the greatest knock against him might be that the team has frequently missed the playoff is what was, until Manning's arrival in Denver, a relatively weak division.
Putting that on the QB makes no sense however, and until Manning got there I think they won the division 4 of 6 years or something like that.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #39
MVP

fugazi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Putting that on the QB makes no sense however, and until Manning got there I think they won the division 4 of 6 years or something like that.
I'm not putting it all on the QB, but we do measure them on that metric, at least in part.

And you're right, they won the division 4 years in a row from 06-09 (one 8-8 division title), but have yet to make the playoffs since, other than 2013 (9-7)

I like Rivers, and remember wanting my team to draft him. And while QBs get a lot of blame and credit they don't deserve, his division has been populated by a wasteland of QBs in Oakland, Alex Smith in KC, and a revolving door in Denver that didn't stabilize until Manning arrive, though admittedly, Cutler had some good years.

In that situation, it's not totally unfair to think that Rivers "should have made the difference" for the Chargers, to some degree.

It is unfair to say it came down to Rivers, but it's not unfair to point out the general lack of success since 09, and think it might besmirch his "legacy". That's a lot of years of 2nd and 3rd in an unimpressive division. Romo gets flack for Dallas's playoff anemia...
Old 02-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #40
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I read that and can't stop thinking you don't watch him play. If you did, you'd see the piss poor job SD has done of putting anything useful around him.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »