Home

2016 NFL Draft

This is a discussion on 2016 NFL Draft within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #377
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2016 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem
So what if you draft a good one and pay him appropriately then?
That's fine, but Buffalo is never in a position to draft a stud QB considering theyre in the middle of the draft every year and by then all the stud QBs are gone. And by stud I mean the first or the second best projected in the draft, since we all know that QBs are overdrafted.

Last edited by PeoplesChampGB; 04-15-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #378
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
The rest is just a big red herring unless you actually want to make the argument that he's better than Roethlisberger, Palmer, Brady, or Rodgers- all of the guys you cited above.
Wouldn't begin to assert that right now, but the numbers all say that his production was right there with them. It's not a mental leap to project Taylor to a top-flight quarterback in the league if he builds on his strong efforts last season, and it would behoove a team to sign a potential franchise quarterback to a lower dollar amount before he forces his value any higher.

The best teams and GMs identify good talent and scheme fits early and pay for what the player will do, not what he already accomplished. Different position, but Antonio Brown with the Steelers is a great example of this. He's probably the best receiver in the league, but he makes a little over half as much as the likes of Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, and Demaryius Thomas because the Steelers identified him as a good player early and paid him for his future projected production. This allows the Steelers more cap flexibility to fill holes at other positions if need be and also garners goodwill with prospective roster additions because they know that if they play well the organization will take care of them. In contrast, if a player gets to the open market, the dollar figure he commands sky-rockets, and that's how you end up with free agent busts like Mike Wallace, Robert Meacham, Peerless Price, and Alvin Harper.

Quote:
Taylor plays not to lose as your QB. The others play to win the game for their team.
I don't know what this means.

Does Taylor not throw the ball down the field into the teeth of a defense to get chunk yardage? A sixteen-game sample of his play suggests otherwise. Does he not take off and run given the opportunity? His 5 yards per carry, 500 rushing yards, and his combine measurables all disagree.

Quote:
Until Taylor shows this trait, he won't deserve a penny more than he got.
And how does he show it? What is this magic trait? What does one look for to see this? What do you know that we don't?

As far as I can tell, this "trait" you speak of is only observable after-the-fact when a quarterback is statistically productive and his team also wins specifically playoff games. Which isn't really meaningful and offers no predictive utility in picking out future quarterbacks as high-caliber NFL starters.

Last edited by Hooe; 04-15-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #379
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

And let's say you draft a QB and he is Alex Smith. He wins games but won't be MVP or elite. His contract expires and now you have to pay him. Are you seriously going to draft another QB and start all over or overpay to keep Smith?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #380
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

Quote:
What is this magic trait? What does one look for to see this? What do you know that we don't?
I shouldn't have to explain the difference between a star QB and Tyrod Taylor. It should be self-evident. Not everything is quantifiable.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you guys that Taylor isn't a franchise QB. It's not worth my time.
Nothing I or anyone else says is going to change anyone's mind. I'm just going to save it for future reference.

I'm just going to say that I'm glad the Rams moved to #1 since it takes the QB debate off the Cowboys' hands and likely nets them a major talent at #4 assuming QBs go 1-2.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #381
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
I shouldn't have to explain the difference between a star QB and Tyrod Taylor. It should be self-evident. Not everything is quantifiable.
Professional football scouts disagree with you. They quantify literally everything.

For quarterback scouting reports, National Football Scouting puts a quantifiable 0.0 to 10.0 number on a whole slew of nebulous intangible concepts such as "leadership", "poise", "anticipation", "mental alertness", "personal character", "football character", and "competitiveness".

So yes, you do need to explain the difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #382
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
No reason to get snippy because I'm not wildly in love with your old backup QB.

I watched Tyrod Taylor at Va Tech. I got a nice up-close view of him when they played Dallas. He threw for over 250 yards in 4 games last year. That's not going to cut it. y.
I am not sure what throwing for 250 yards in a game has to do with anything, particularly when dealing with that offense. What I can tell you is he averaged 8 yards per attempt in 2015 which puts right near the top of the league.

did you watch him at Va Tech in games he didn't play in as well?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #383
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I would further expect him to just have top 10 talent before being declared worthy of top 10 money, so I agree with you in a sense.
Talent in what sense? The most talented QB is often not, the best QB.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #384
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Talent in what sense? The most talented QB is often not, the best QB.
Helluva statement that's true but just makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »