Home

2017 Training Camp/Preseason Games Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Training Camp/Preseason Games Discussion Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #57
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: 2017 Training Camp/Preseason Games Discussion Thread

That ain't any kind of take Tyrek Blow from Duvall been saying that since Bortles was drafted....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 08-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #58
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarfytheOwl
It's definitely nowhere near time to start Peterman, though I've liked what I've seen from him. Maybe start him if we start out 1-6.

For some reason, I feel like the offense looks like barf, and Tyrod specifically, because I think he's lost confidence and hope in himself, Taylor that is.

He knows his time is limited in Buffalo and it's ****ing with his mind. Taylor was never going to be our savior (I personally don't think Rosen or Darnold would be either), but Tyrod was never this shaky, never looked so lost on offense. Mediocre sure but not like this, he was even better under those bloated circus clowns and Roman/Lynn, and Dennison's offense doesn't seem much different, apart from blocking schemes. We're still running a run first, quick strike offense, pretty much west coast.

Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am, I actually do like Taylor even though he's not great. But I think he's just in a mental funk, knowing he's basically a one year rental at this point in the eyes of many, and that fans had unreasonable expectations for him in Buffalo and if he plays to his normal average to just above average stat line, someone somewhere will want to put him in a guillotine, call for Peterman or Yates (if they keep him), then when Buffalo has a top 10 pick or trades up for a QB, Taylor gets cut or traded for parts in the rebuild.
I agree with what you're saying though I want to point out a couple things about the offense that's subtly different than the last couple years. It's clear they want a more uptempo offense that's predicated on the QB making the quick read and getting the ball out ASAP. That's clearly not a strength of Taylor's. There's also a bit of a philosophical difference in the kind of QB play they want. It seems they want someone who can stay in the pocket longer and will run when absolutely necessary rather than someone whose first instinct is to make something happen with his legs. Again, that's something that goes against Taylor's strength.

We'll see how it all shakes out but it really feels like a lame duck year for Tyrod Taylor.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
On another note, why didn't they let him try that 67 yard fg???? 4 seconds in the 1st half of a preseason game... couldn't have asked for a better time to do it. Maybe better if they were playing at home?
Only reason I can think of, high risk of it being blocked returnable, but who cares if we lose a preseason game? It gets the team and fanbase excited and you kinda want to run your team through as many game situations as possible right?

Unless they were concerned about injury, but it is a field goal attempt. Not really high risk for injury.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #60
Rookie

BarfytheOwl's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I agree with what you're saying though I want to point out a couple things about the offense that's subtly different than the last couple years. It's clear they want a more uptempo offense that's predicated on the QB making the quick read and getting the ball out ASAP. That's clearly not a strength of Taylor's. There's also a bit of a philosophical difference in the kind of QB play they want. It seems they want someone who can stay in the pocket longer and will run when absolutely necessary rather than someone whose first instinct is to make something happen with his legs. Again, that's something that goes against Taylor's strength.

We'll see how it all shakes out but it really feels like a lame duck year for Tyrod Taylor.
Yeah, I know what you mean, and I wholeheartedly agree. Whatever the cause, most likely a vile mixture of him not fitting scheme and having less than zero confidence, I don't see Taylor playing well.

On another note, I don't get why McD and Beane don't want to admit we're rebuilding though, it'll probably be a much shorter build since we already have talent, but a build nonetheless.

Hopefully by years end, we'll have some idea who our QB will be, I just pray they don't reach on Rosen, Jackson or Darnold unless they're legit. No more E.J. Manuel'ing.

Darnold has looked the best in my opinion, but things could change, if they don't, I see the Jets pouncing on him, then again it could backfire like another certain promising USC QB who butt fumbled his way into our hearts.

Currently listening to: Ice Nine Kills

PSN: Sentient_Ooze
Old 08-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #61
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I've watched Bortles more than I've cared too since the Jags play in the horrific AFC South and the matchups look great on paper so I end up taking him as my QB in FanDuel.

He is an extremely unimpressive person to watch play quarterback. His accuracy is horrible and it seems like his throws are so close to the LOS.

Just look at 2016 air yards and he was at 3.21 which was the lowest of starting QB's outside of Jared Goff if he counts. Well he did tie with Wentz.

I just felt like he couldn't go through progressions and see windows to get the ball downfield so he just checked down.

It's funny I then thought about Tyrod Taylor who I view in the same manner of as a guy who looks good on paper with some matchups and I'd take him often as well in FanDuel. I see him just chucking the ball downfield which I really appreciated in my greedy need for points mentality. On the yards in air he has one of the high air yards average at 4.29.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #62
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarfytheOwl
Yeah, I know what you mean, and I wholeheartedly agree. Whatever the cause, most likely a vile mixture of him not fitting scheme and having less than zero confidence, I don't see Taylor playing well.

On another note, I don't get why McD and Beane don't want to admit we're rebuilding though, it'll probably be a much shorter build since we already have talent, but a build nonetheless.

Hopefully by years end, we'll have some idea who our QB will be, I just pray they don't reach on Rosen, Jackson or Darnold unless they're legit. No more E.J. Manuel'ing.

Darnold has looked the best in my opinion, but things could change, if they don't, I see the Jets pouncing on him, then again it could backfire like another certain promising USC QB who butt fumbled his way into our hearts.

I feel like our defense could be ferocious again, which having a great defense, as a fan, is an awesome feeling. Going out there and shutting down offenses in an offensive-leaning league is something to be admired.

Offensively, I thought Dennison's zone blocking, PA-based offense would fit Taylor great with his mobility but it hasn't exactly been the case through two preseason games. I'm hoping he can pick it up when the games count. I don't think he's this bad even in a different style of offense.

My fear is that this becomes like Marrone's last year here, when we tried Manuel for 4 games before realizing that was a terrible idea and let Orton pilot us to a 7-5 record. I'm worried that our offense will absolutely waste a terrific defensive year. The good news is that I don't think McDermott bolts like Marrone did, leaving his staff in disarray (which led to Schwartz leaving and pretty much reset all defensive progress from the year prior). So if this year ends up as an offensive disaster, the coaching staff should still be in place... well, maybe not on the offensive side. We'll see if they think it's personnel or coaching if we have a stinker of a year.

What's Taylor's contract look like? I want to say it's structured to be team friendly... again... with outs at certain years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #63
Rookie

BarfytheOwl's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I feel like our defense could be ferocious again, which having a great defense, as a fan, is an awesome feeling. Going out there and shutting down offenses in an offensive-leaning league is something to be admired.

Offensively, I thought Dennison's zone blocking, PA-based offense would fit Taylor great with his mobility but it hasn't exactly been the case through two preseason games. I'm hoping he can pick it up when the games count. I don't think he's this bad even in a different style of offense.

My fear is that this becomes like Marrone's last year here, when we tried Manuel for 4 games before realizing that was a terrible idea and let Orton pilot us to a 7-5 record. I'm worried that our offense will absolutely waste a terrific defensive year. The good news is that I don't think McDermott bolts like Marrone did, leaving his staff in disarray (which led to Schwartz leaving and pretty much reset all defensive progress from the year prior). So if this year ends up as an offensive disaster, the coaching staff should still be in place... well, maybe not on the offensive side. We'll see if they think it's personnel or coaching if we have a stinker of a year.

What's Taylor's contract look like? I want to say it's structured to be team friendly... again... with outs at certain years.
I believe with the restructure he's one of the lowest paid starters, with Buffalo being able to opt out after this season or move him with little cap penalty.

And yeah, the defense looks really good so far, even the 2nd stringers. I was afraid Zo would regress moving to a 4-3 but he looks phenomenal in coverage. Hughes should regain some semblance of 2014 being back at DE, which in my opinion will make him great trade bait in the future if the organisation likes Yarbrough as much as I do.

I'm a little hesitant on the secondary (I love Tre' White and Micah), but having a monster front four will help them out.

What are they doing with Ragland though? Him being knocked to the third string defense surprises me and makes me wonder if the brass feel the same towards him that they did with Sammy and Darby.

Currently listening to: Ice Nine Kills

PSN: Sentient_Ooze
Old 08-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #64
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Thought Conner did well, needs to catch those easy passes. Dobbs looked not great again, especially on that INT where he had a wide open guy in front of him. Good to see Bryant back.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »