Home

Brian Urlacher #1 Ray Lewis #2

This is a discussion on Brian Urlacher #1 Ray Lewis #2 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2002, 01:41 PM   #41
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Brian Urlacher #1 Ray Lewis #2

In reply to:

Hey Paradox. I am with you. I can't stand the guy. And would love to see him fail. (No offense Wwharton ).

No offense taking. If you think a guy's an ***, I can't argue with that. I just hate hearing people talk about him as a murderer. Talk about not getting facts straight.

BTW, the ravens have had a bye week and Lewis didn't play the second half yesterday so yes, the stats you mentioned are pretty much equal now rather than after tonight's game when Urlacher will have at least a game up on Ray. But like everyone has said, in terms of the position and the sport itself, stats alone can not be the barometer, but to each his own. If you can't SEE it then you just don't want to, and I think JohnnyG pretty much admitted that in his last post. BTW, Urlacher's a beast, and if he does pass Ray I'll say it along with everyone else but right now there is no equal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2002, 01:43 PM   #42
MVP

johnnyg83's Arena

OVR: 9

I respect your opinion. I don't see it as so clear-cut and would put Urlacher on my team before Lewis.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:48 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 10

In reply to:

I respect your opinion. I don't see it as so clear-cut and would put Urlacher on my team before Lewis.

That's understandable.. just like someone wanting Jeff Garcia over Peyton Manning, or Ahman Green over Priest Holmes... either way you got a solid player
Old 10-07-2002, 07:03 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The question that will settle this entire debate, which LB out of the two can take over an entire game?? And regardless of one's personal feelings for whoever, which one if you love defensive football is more fun to watch. Urlacher is faster, yes, but SO. People are throwing that argument out as if they are saying Lewis is slow. Ray Lewis is one those type of players that can pick a team up when they are in the gutter and they play well because he plays well. He is the primary instigator of trouble for opposing offenses. The man is an emotional leader and motivator. Right now Urlacher is NOT at that level for his team. Sure we can look at stats and say ohhh yeah see they are very close, yes, but like I told the villiage idiot on another board, stats is NOT all that goes into it.

Hey I don't mind Lewis celebrating. I think it is entertaining actually. And sure you get a great player either way you go.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:16 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 2

Baby Ray wasnt so slow running down Quincy Morgan last night was he. Lewis is the best LBer since LT and IS the most dominant player in the game today. Defensive players usually dont control games like he does. He plays with so much intensity and heart that it carries over to the rest of the team. He has the will to be the best and has since he was in HS. I remember an interview with him when he just arrived as a freshman and they asked him what his goals were and he said even back then that it was to be the greatest defensive player of all time. How many times do you hear a 17 or 18 year old say something like that? He then went out in his FIRST game as a true freshman at MLBer and had 22 tackles vs Colorado.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2002, 07:27 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

Yep I remember that game against Colorado. He was an undersized skinny kid too. But he displayed alot of intensity then.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:28 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think anyone who's seen the Bears so far this season would have noticed that Urlacher has only had one great game so far and the rest were very sub par and mediocre.

Against the Saints, Aaron Brooks scrambled when everyone was covered and ran in for a TD. Ulacher was on that side but couldn't get off a block in time. If it was Dick Butkus, he'd have been sitting there just waiting to remove Brooks' head.

It's happened a lot this season, Urlacher is just a half-beat too late shedding blockers.

He's also without a doubt clueless about how to be a team leader. He's soft. David Terrell (little boy) was throwing a tantrum on the sideline of the Bills game and Urlacher went over to calm him down; He just blew him off like he didn't give two hoots what #54 had to say. Urlacher is just too mild and quiet overall to be a feared defender.

After all that though, a person would be nuts to think that offenses don't design gameplans to get around him, throw away from him and insure that he's being blocked as much as possible.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:42 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

That aspect of Urlacher's game MAY emerge. I still like Urlacher alot and think he is a phenomenal player but he just is NOT there with Ray. I think both have different styles. Ray is a Relentless, In your Face, Aggressive, Nasty Mutha who's motor just doesn't quit regardless. And Ray puts the pressure on the other team, he says, "I don't have to deal with them, they have to deal with me" LOL. And from the looks of it that's the case. You gotta deal with Mr Lewis if you don't your are asking for trouble and a L. Urlacher's style is NOT as aggressive. But it is relentless. He will get after you. NOT like Ray though, but he will. He doesn't bring that leadership and energy. And I think that might be a little unfair for us to try to make Urlacher what HE MAY NOT BE. He may not be that type of player that everyone can feed off of. He may just be a down right fast mean on the field guy that will get after you. Urlacher IMO is a great player but he doesn't play the position like Lewis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »