Home

If the Sharks Lose in the first two rounds, is Thornton Traded?

This is a discussion on If the Sharks Lose in the first two rounds, is Thornton Traded? within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Thornton Traded if Sharks get bounced in first 2 rounds?
Yes 3 20.00%
No 12 80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: If the Sharks Lose in the first two rounds, is Thornton Traded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
Where's the cap space going to come from for Detroit to reel in someone like Thornton?
Depends how much they dip into the FA pool this year. The Red Wings have $31M committed (albeit to only 7 players) to the 11/12 season right now. Lidstrom almost certainly will have retired by then, and I don't see any of Detroit's current youngsters getting big raises (maybe Howard). Plus Detroit's the kind of place where star players will take a pay cut (short-term, anyway) to play. If Thornton wants to break the bank in 2011, then no, he won't go to the Wings. I could see him taking a Hossa-type deal for a season or two, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
As for the original question, hard to say. If Thornton's face is popping up on milk cartons as the Sharks bow out early again, I'd say it's a real possibility. But if he actually carries his weight, but say, Nabokov pees down his leg and they get knocked out early, will they keep Thornton or (stupidly) scapegoat him?
Remember also that Marleau and Nabokov are UFA's at the end of this season.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 47

Nabby will be gone, Marleau maybe. Joe retires a Sharks. I must say I am now dumber for ready with thread only on OS, thanks guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 47

DAMNIT I am on my cell and I cant edit my error. See I was already dumb to begin with now I am dumber. I think the Sharks are a differenet team this year. But we shall see.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Depends how much they dip into the FA pool this year. The Red Wings have $31M committed (albeit to only 7 players) to the 11/12 season right now. Lidstrom almost certainly will have retired by then, and I don't see any of Detroit's current youngsters getting big raises (maybe Howard). Plus Detroit's the kind of place where star players will take a pay cut (short-term, anyway) to play. If Thornton wants to break the bank in 2011, then no, he won't go to the Wings. I could see him taking a Hossa-type deal for a season or two, though.

I think your numbers are a bit off.

As of now, they've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Rafalski, Stuart, and Kronwall on the books for 2011/2012. Together that's a little over 35 million. I can't imagine him still being around, but if Holmstrom still wants to play, they'll re-sign him. Lidstrom will be gone. They're going to lock up Eaves and Miller. They're most likely going to re-sign Bertuzzi. Lilja is too valuable of a penalty killer to not re-sign. Ericsson's too young to give up on, they'll re-sign him. Howard will be due up soon too. There is a high likelihood that Hudler will be coming back, if not after this season, after next. They've got a couple prospects on the horizon who have to be on the NHL team starting next year. And like you said, they'll probably make a move or two in free agency this year.

Just don't see anyway they could fit in another big contract like Thornton (even if he took a paycut).

Last edited by Psyblast; 04-09-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
I think your numbers are a bit off.

As of now, they've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Rafalski, Stuart, and Kronwall on the books for 2011/2012. Together that's a little over 35 million. I can't imagine him still being around, but if Holmstrom still wants to play, they'll re-sign him. Lidstrom will be gone. They're going to lock up Eaves and Miller. They're most likely going to re-sign Bertuzzi. Lilja is too valuable of a penalty killer to not re-sign. Ericsson's too young to give up on, they'll re-sign him. Howard will be due up soon too. There is a high likelihood that Hudler will be coming back, if not after this season, after next. They've got a couple prospects on the horizon who have to be on the NHL team starting next year. And like you said, they'll probably make a move or two in free agency this year.

Just don't see anyway they could fit in another big contract like Thornton (even if he took a paycut).
You're right, I forgot about Franzen. Is Detroit really going to give players like Eaves, Miller, Bertuzzi, Lilja, Ericsson, etc. much more than they're making now? Doesn't seem like Detroit's MO.

Anyway, it still wouldn't surprise me if something along those lines happened (remember how shocked everyone was at Hossa), but yes, teams like St. Louis, Dallas, and Toronto are more likely.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #15
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
You're right, I forgot about Franzen. Is Detroit really going to give players like Eaves, Miller, Bertuzzi, Lilja, Ericsson, etc. much more than they're making now? Doesn't seem like Detroit's MO.

Anyway, it still wouldn't surprise me if something along those lines happened (remember how shocked everyone was at Hossa), but yes, teams like St. Louis, Dallas, and Toronto are more likely.

Much more than what they're making now, no, but an equal amount (or a slight raise), absolutely. Eaves and Miller have been awesome this year. Bertuzzi, eh, but Holland likes him and he's the nuclear deterrent. Ericsson's had a bad year, but the organization likes him and isn't ready to give up on him when he's still young.

As for Lilja...in last year's postseason, the Red Wings gave up a PPG in 18 straight games, major factor being the absence of Lilja clearing traffic in front of the net. Since he returned from the concussion, they've killed over 93% of opponents' power plays.

None of the above will get some outrageous bump in pay, but it adds up if they keep them all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12

I think it'll depend - if Joe shows up for the playoffs, but Nabkov doesn't I can't see them moving Thornton just yet, especially with Marleau becoming a FA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »