Home

Steve Yzerman new Lightning GM

This is a discussion on Steve Yzerman new Lightning GM within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Steve Yzerman new Lightning GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
That's the point, I don't think it IS humanly possible. Montreal would be spending $25.5M on four forwards that scored 70, 59, 50, and 46 points last year. They'd have $52.5M locked up in 14 players, and that's without a single goalie signed. Might as well take out an ad saying they were going to miss the playoffs for the next decade.

Again, that happened when the Habs had a ton of cap space. They now have one of the worst cap situations in the league, considerably worse than Tampa Bay's. Also, as bad as the Gomez signing was, there are 4 years left in that deal, as opposed to 10 for Vinny. TEN!
Agreed. But with trades and buyouts, I think the brass in Montreal would do everything possible to make this happen.
Maybe they find a sucker for Roman Hamrlik or even Gomez. He proved to be a pretty serviceable 2nd line center so who knows if someone with cap space would be willing to bite.

Also, there are teams that might be willing to take on salary for draft picks or prospects - very similar to what Brian Burke was willing to do for clubs up against the cap.

It's improbable, but after some of the things I've seen in the NHL, anything's possible.
After-all, this is a league where Mike Milbury was employed as a GM beyond more than a week.
Glen Sather continues to toy with the Rangers like he's playing NHL10, and Brian Sutter kept his job after the debacle that was the 2009-2010 season.

Habs fans have been dying for a star Francophone player for years and years. Seeing that Bob Gainey was willing to sacrifice his teams success in order to shoehorn Price as their #1, I wouldn't doubt someone in the front office wouldn't be willing to potentially sacrifice a season or two in order to bring Lecavailer in.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Agreed. But with trades and buyouts, I think the brass in Montreal would do everything possible to make this happen.
Maybe they find a sucker for Roman Hamrlik or even Gomez. He proved to be a pretty serviceable 2nd line center so who knows if someone with cap space would be willing to bite.

Also, there are teams that might be willing to take on salary for draft picks or prospects - very similar to what Brian Burke was willing to do for clubs up against the cap.

It's improbable, but after some of the things I've seen in the NHL, anything's possible.
After-all, this is a league where Mike Milbury was employed as a GM beyond more than a week.
Glen Sather continues to toy with the Rangers like he's playing NHL10, and Brian Sutter kept his job after the debacle that was the 2009-2010 season.

Habs fans have been dying for a star Francophone player for years and years. Seeing that Bob Gainey was willing to sacrifice his teams success in order to shoehorn Price as their #1, I wouldn't doubt someone in the front office wouldn't be willing to potentially sacrifice a season or two in order to bring Lecavailer in.
I agree with Dr. Jones. It just doesn't make fiscal sense for a team to take on Lecavalier's contract. And I'm a Bolts fan through and through! I understand what you are saying, regarding the Habs constantly craving the French Canadian star...then again, isn't that mostly French media driven? If I'm the Lightning, there is no way I am taking bad contracts back for Lecavalier. Gomez and Hamrlik? No thank you. The Canadiens would have to dump salary elsewhere to free up space for Vinny and then probably trade picks and prospects to Tampa.

Vinny is at a major crossroad. Last season, the fans gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was coming off labrum surgery. He scored three more points this season, but played every game. I've read reports in the media ranging from "he's still hurt" to "he's lost his passion for the game". Who knows? I do know that Vinny played the best when he had someone to push him (Tortorella). At first, Vinny wanted out because he was being called out by the coach, then he won a cup and the Rocket Richard trophy. Maybe Yzerman can help this situation, as a mentor, but Lecavalier is 30. He should be mentoring guys like Stamkos! It will be interesting to see if Stevie Y chooses a fiery coach, to help shape Vinny up. Also of note, Vinny had his first child over the summer. That is a life changing event. Maybe we'll see a more inspired man.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
RIIIIIIIGHT, I doubt there's any team that'll take an unproductive superstar who's making that kind of money AND being a malcontent towards a guy who has the respect of owners, execs and players alike.
Vinny has been unmotivated, but he's never been a malcontent (the Torts/Lecavalier feud was a bit overblown). He certainly wouldn't be one for Yzerman who was one of his idols growing up.

If Vinny has lost some of his passion for the game, it's because of the previous ownership group. He was always in trade rumors, the franchise was run like a fantasy hockey team, and they tried to make him unhappy with things like buying out Prospal who Vinny loves playing with so he would waive his NMC if they were offered a deal. His play was much better after the olympic break...not sure if it was the break allowed him to rest his injuries but it was also around the time Vinik purchased the team. I don't think that's a coincidence. He's not having any surgeries this offseason and with Yzerman in the fold with a new coach, I wouldn't be surprised to see a good year from Vinny next season.
NHL: Lightning and Ducks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I expect Stevie to pick a coach very similar to Babcock.
The qualities I like best about Babs are that he's intense, he's honest, demanding but also cool under fire.
He hardly ever loses it on the bench and has fits. That does a lot to settle a team down when it's behind the 8-ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »