Home

The Official 2010-11 Stanley Cup Playoffs Talk Thread

This is a discussion on The Official 2010-11 Stanley Cup Playoffs Talk Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: The Official 2010-11 Stanley Cup Playoffs Talk Thread

Vancouver over Chicago in 5, Not a believer in Chicago this year
Sharks over Kings in 6
Red Wings over Coyotes in 7
Ducks over Predators in 6

Capitals over Rangers in 6
Flyers over Sabres in 7
Bruins over Canadiens in 6
Lighting over Penguins in 7
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

You guys should make your picks official in the playoff challenge thread.

The one x-factor in the Nashville/Anaheim series is that the Ducks' goalie, Jonas Hiller, is still dealing with vertigo and hasn't played much since the All-Star break. Last time Hiller played was actually against Nashville, and he got pulled after letting in 3 first period goals.

Anaheim's backup goalie, Dan Ellis, was also the Predators' starting goalie last season before Pekka Rinne became the #1 and ultimately TOOK ER DOOB in the off-season.

Intrigue!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Will the TSN games be shown on NHL Network or something?
I don't know... but this whole Versus thing is just silly. It's like they cherrypicked a couple of playoff games, threw the rest back at the NHL, and now nobody is really sure what channels are going to show the "reject" games. The NHL needs to find a partner that is willing to show ALL of the games. ESPN would be ideal, but if that doesn't work out, maybe something with CBS where they show some of the lesser games on one of their other channels like Tru. It shouldn't be that hard. If the rodeo associations and cheerleaders competitions can get TV deals, surely the NHL can find somebody who wants to show some PLAYOFF HOCKEY.

EDIT: It looks like our local 2nd tier cable channel (Sportsouth) is going to pick up the games for the Nashville area. So we won't be completely in the dark. Oh, and it appears that Versus and NBC will be showing at least 2 games from every series EXCEPT the Ducks-Preds...

OK I'll quit ranting. Feel much better now.

Last edited by skydog71; 04-11-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Hooray, nothing like watching your team's freakin' PLAYOFFS on an internet stream, at least the first two games.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #21
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Hooray, nothing like watching your team's freakin' PLAYOFFS on an internet stream, at least the first two games.
Relatively no one watches playoff hockey outside the home markets. That's why there's no full playoff deal. It's unfortunate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
I don't know... but this whole Versus thing is just silly. It's like they cherrypicked a couple of playoff games, threw the rest back at the NHL, and now nobody is really sure what channels are going to show the "reject" games. The NHL needs to find a partner that is willing to show ALL of the games. ESPN would be ideal, but if that doesn't work out, maybe something with CBS where they show some of the lesser games on one of their other channels like Tru. It shouldn't be that hard. If the rodeo associations and cheerleaders competitions can get TV deals, surely the NHL can find somebody who wants to show some PLAYOFF HOCKEY.

EDIT: It looks like our local 2nd tier cable channel (Sportsouth) is going to pick up the games for the Nashville area. So we won't be completely in the dark. Oh, and it appears that Versus and NBC will be showing at least 2 games from every series EXCEPT the Ducks-Preds...

OK I'll quit ranting. Feel much better now.
This is the time of year I feel most sorry for my American brethren. Not showing every single minute of every single playoff game is a capital crime up here.

Although you guys do luck out in avoiding the Leafs-centic nonsense that CBC and TSN wallow in. Think FOX and ESPN's breathless coverage of all things Yankees and Red Sox rolled into one, only if they had the on-field success of the Pirates and Royals year after year.

Today's top story on TSN: "Phaneuf, Schenn, Reimer to represent Canada at World Championships next month!" Oh boy! Top hockey-related blurb in the headlines: "Wilson believes Maple Leafs close to being a contender!" Forgive me while I try to contain my excitement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

Last edited by DrJones; 04-11-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #23
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Relatively no one watches playoff hockey outside the home markets. That's why there's no full playoff deal. It's unfortunate.
How could they possibly expect to grow the sport and the league?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
How could they possibly expect to grow the sport and the league?
Hockey will always be a niche sport. I think they've just accepted it. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I'm not gonna get all worked up about it.

I do feel for people in your situation, though. If the Wild were in, there is always somewhere around here that has a package with the Wild game even if FSN decided not to pick it up. It was quite a scramble to find a couple of those first round Wild/Ducks games a few years back.

If I were you, I'd start calling around to see if any establishments in your area have the full NHL package. They are allowed to show non-national games that are picked up by the regional or local stations. At least that's how it was a few years ago...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »