Home

Fate of Coyotes decided in 2 decades(?)

This is a discussion on Fate of Coyotes decided in 2 decades(?) within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36
re: Fate of Coyotes decided in 2 decades(?)

I feel bad for Quebec seemingly getting the shaft. I wouldn't mind Seattle getting a team, but they're asking to lose money if they plan on playing in Key Arena for a few years.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLinn
I feel bad for Quebec seemingly getting the shaft. I wouldn't mind Seattle getting a team, but they're asking to lose money if they plan on playing in Key Arena for a few years.
Quebec (and Toronto 2) will shell out big bucks for expansion teams; Seattle won't. Canucks fans will ensure that Seattle sells out their games until the new arena arrives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 06-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Seattle would be the most logical and dare I say, last viable US market to put a team in. There's a hockey culture in that part of the country and now without the basketball team the new hockey team will get all the attention and love that it deserves. It'll be weird for Coyotes players to go from a place where they're invisible to somewhere where they'll most likely be recognized.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

^ I don't think you're off base in saying Seattle is the last viable NHL market in the US at all. In fact, Seattle is probably a better market for the league than about seven current US markets with an NHL team.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Seattle would be the most logical and dare I say, last viable US market to put a team in. There's a hockey culture in that part of the country and now without the basketball team the new hockey team will get all the attention and love that it deserves. It'll be weird for Coyotes players to go from a place where they're invisible to somewhere where they'll most likely be recognized.
I don't know about "last viable", but I would imagine the NHL would also do really well in Portland. The problem with the Coyotes isn't even necessarily the market, as far as I can tell - my impression was that it had as much to do with the ownership as anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #22
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I don't know about "last viable", but I would imagine the NHL would also do really well in Portland. The problem with the Coyotes isn't even necessarily the market, as far as I can tell - my impression was that it had as much to do with the ownership as anything else.
It's not even the ownership per se but rather the location, when the Coyotes were moving out of America West Arena they were gonna go to Scottsdale where the fanbase is from but Bettman and the NHL mandated that they move the team to Glendale after they were given a sweetheart deal which as we've seen has backfired in a colossal way.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #23
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
You and I probably have a much different picture of the word "viable". When I see that word I think "successful". Portland seems like a good thing because they have the NBA team plus The Timbers who the locals have embraced. There's a reason for that. It's because both teams have been there for a very long time. Just planting a NHL team there now wouldn't do great just because IMO.

As for your assertion that the market isn't the problem with Phoenix, yes it absolutely is the problem! FFS, I feel like I'm in bizzaro world sometimes when it comes to discussing this sport. Hockey isn't that popular, OK?! Quit trying to force it where it doesn't work. It's OK to acknowledge where you are as a sport and maximize what you can out of that.

Sorry for the rant at the end there, that wasn't meant directly for you, pietasterp.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #24
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
As for your assertion that the market isn't the problem with Phoenix, yes it absolutely is the problem! FFS, I feel like I'm in bizzaro world sometimes when it comes to discussing this sport. Hockey isn't that popular, OK?! Quit trying to force it where it doesn't work. It's OK to acknowledge where you are as a sport and maximize what you can out of that.

Sorry for the rant at the end there, that wasn't meant directly for you, pietasterp.
Yes, the market is obviously a big problem, but as SPTO mentioned, building the arena in Glendale instead of Scottsdale or downtown Phoenix was a catastrophic mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »