Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #929

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Peter Statsny says Quebec is getting a team. A matter of when, not if.
An announcement could come as early as Summer 2018:
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...-peter-stastny
Is that really good news though(that someone credible is saying this)? You know how Bettman feels about this type of info being "leaked".

Canes and Panthers are the obvious east choices to be moved. But if you're the NHL, would you move a team like Panthers or Canes to QC and eventually give someone like Seattle an expansion team, or does QC get expansion while Seattle gets relocation. Whichever will be most competitive soonest I think will go to Seattle(or whatever west city gets a team) since even if they're bad, QC can keep profits up for a fair amount of time.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #930
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Parros new head of Department of Player Saftey:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-player-safety

Quote:
It’s not so much that Parros is a part of the department that handles league discipline or that he’s even the head of it. After all, the FBI often hires former hackers as cyber special agents. It’s that the league continues to fill this department with these kinds of players. With the exception of short stints by the likes of Rob Blake and Brian Leetch, I can’t think of any other former players who have occupied that department who have not been known for playing at times on the wrong side of the rulebook.
Exactly.

First, don't think for a second that this hire doesn't have anything to do with the multi-million dollar lawsuit the NHL is facing concerning head trauma and the league's reluctance to protect its players.

Hiring Parros has several implications in this regard.
Its like David Duke hiring a minority to mow his lawn in order to prove he's not racist.

And let's be honest, the DoPS is nothing but a shell game. The figure-head of this department still answers to the "Hawks" (not Blackhawks - speaking about the Hawks that run the BoG and the Doves that listen to them).
Just look at what happened when Shanahan tried to clean things up. He was handing out 10 game suspensions like Pez.
But eventually he was shut-up, and shot-down before preseason was completed.
Now it's status quo. As long the National media doesn't notice the infraction, it's 2 games no matter the what. If it's really bad and the media makes note of it, then it's 4 games.
Star players - the ones that drive the league - continue to be assaulted on a nightly basis without any recourse.

As Ken said, the NHL is the only pro sports league in North America that willingly hands the keys to the kingdom to former scrubs and plumbers of the league.
It has allowed the coaches (most of whom were galaxies away from playing in the NHL) to decide that games should be won in as boring fashion as possible.
Your creativity is not welcome here, son!
The DoPS is as interested in player safety as Mike Babcock is in fun hockey.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #931
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Parros new head of Department of Player Saftey:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-player-safety

Exactly.

First, don't think for a second that this hire doesn't have anything to do with the multi-million dollar lawsuit the NHL is facing concerning head trauma and the league's reluctance to protect its players.

Hiring Parros has several implications in this regard.
Its like David Duke hiring a minority to mow his lawn in order to prove he's not racist.

And let's be honest, the DoPS is nothing but a shell game. The figure-head of this department still answers to the "Hawks" (not Blackhawks - speaking about the Hawks that run the BoG and the Doves that listen to them).
Just look at what happened when Shanahan tried to clean things up. He was handing out 10 game suspensions like Pez.
But eventually he was shut-up, and shot-down before preseason was completed.
Now it's status quo. As long the National media doesn't notice the infraction, it's 2 games no matter the what. If it's really bad and the media makes note of it, then it's 4 games.
Star players - the ones that drive the league - continue to be assaulted on a nightly basis without any recourse.

As Ken said, the NHL is the only pro sports league in North America that willingly hands the keys to the kingdom to former scrubs and plumbers of the league.
It has allowed the coaches (most of whom were galaxies away from playing in the NHL) to decide that games should be won in as boring fashion as possible.
Your creativity is not welcome here, son!
The DoPS is as interested in player safety as Mike Babcock is in fun hockey.
Hmm..., coincidence?
http://www.tsn.ca/subpoenas-issued-f...wsuit-1.851322
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #932
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Why does Gary Bettman shake when he talks? Like his head shakes back and forth almost as if his body subconsciously reacts the way we all do when he speaks.

He's such a strange little man.

Quote:
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #933

Majingir's Arena

Two interesting ones I saw online. NHL version of the "you have $___ to spend on a lineup". One is an all-time edition, the other is 2017.
Spoiler

Spoiler

All-time I'd go:
Ovechkin-McDavid-Howe
Chelios-Karlsson
Price

2017 I'd go:
Ovechkin-Matthews-Laine
Subban-Doughty
Murray
Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #934
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

All time, gimme (in the order I picked them in my head):

RW - Mike Bossy - $2
C Mario Lemieux - $4
G Carey Price - $1
D Scott Neidermayer - $3
D Scott Stevens - $3
RW - Jamie Benn - $2

Thoughts: why is Jamie Benn an option? I only picked him because I had $2 to spend at the end, which is why the list is in seemingly random order... I instantly was gonna go for Gretzky/Kurri but have been on a weird Bossy thing lately, dude put up insane numbers, so I went there and complemented him with Super Mario... Honestly, I'd take Price at goalie over the two guys listed ahead of him so this was a value pick... Neidermayer/Stevens is just too obvious. Defense was tough to pick a pairing within my budget.

Quote:
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #935
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12

So Maurice Richard was just credited with one more career assist.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...rise-1.4304867

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #936

Majingir's Arena

Apparently nbc will be blacking out all games during the Olympics. Basically they're not happy with the NHL not going to Olympics which airs on... Nbc.

I'm in favour of nhlers at Olympics, but I'm also on the side of not watching a single game because I'm not waking up 5am to watch, and will have results spoiled during day if I Dvr the game. Would've been nicer if world cup worked out and became as prestigious as Olympic hockey. The lack of videos of nhl guys at Olympics sucks. I wanna rewatch the 02 and 10 gold medal games on tv because they are 2 of my fave games ever, but thanks to the ioc, not even the NHL is allowed to have highlights or show the game.

This among other issues are all gonna lead to next lockout. Nbc and NHLPA gonna pressure them for 2022 Olympics , owners have their own agenda and priorities. Not to mention the other various issues within the league like the cap, rules, struggling franchises, next USA TV deal.

Last edited by Majingir; 09-25-2017 at 05:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »