Home

The 2013-14 EPL Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on The 2013-14 EPL Discussion Thread within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #761
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24
Re: The 2013-14 EPL Discussion Thread

Last night proved why it was a great signing to being back Matic. He went toe-to-toe with Yaya Toure. Not many can say they did that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #762
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
Or hold them scoreless.

Newcastle had a slow start, getting 11 points in their first 9 matches. 22 points in their next 9 matches. Now they are back on a downswing. They lose both rounds of the Tyne-Wear Derby. They looked horrible Saturday. Amazingly, they are still 8th in the table. No movement in the past two transfer markets. Barring an epic collapse, they should still finish top half.

But one signing the last two transfer markets. What does Joe Kinnear do exactly as Director of Football? Sit in his office and attempt to memorize his players names?
Kinnear did exactly what Ashley wanted him to do. Avoid relegation and if they can finish top 10 to get the TV bonus check all while selling any high value player to bring in more profit. It's actually getting disgusting now. Had Newcastle not been in the top 10 Cabaye never would have been sold. Or at minimum he would have pocketed a couple million and signed Grenier. Instead they lowballed Grenier, made it look like they were trying to replace Cabaye all while stuffing the transfer fee into his pocket.

I don't see how there is not a mass exodus out of Tyneside next year.

This also eliminated any chance of keeping Remy or getting Cabella or Grenier. Cabella and Grenier have all but come out and directly said there was no way they wanted to go to Newcastle. In the end Ashley has his premier league billboard for Sports Direct and the supporters get to continue to watch uninspired and directionless football. At least the sideshow that was Kinnear vs. Pardew is over. Now we can all settle in for the second half and watch the slide from the top of the table when it could have been a push for Europa and a return to a top club.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #763
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
Very impressive defensive tactics from Mourinho. I see he hasn't lost it, very reminiscent of his Inter days.
It was reminiscent only in his formation, 4-3-3 to limit Zabaleta & Kolarav getting forward but Pelligrini kind of screwed himself by playing Demichellis at CDM for an injured Javi Garcia. I guess he didn't trust Rodwell and/or Milner although Milner is more a wide player these days. Outside of the formations we took it Citeh the entire match, even after going up. Many, including me, expected that bus to be parked but it stayed in drive all match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahvocado
Hazard can be a little streaky at times but he seems to really get up for the big games. I'd rate Lahm and Zabaleta as two of the best right backs on the planet and Hazard made them both look like schoolboys.
One thing Mou is great at is taking good players and making them great. Hazard has been much more consistent and more of an overall player, tracking back on defense. Added with his high level of confidence and he's been on a different level. I'd say only Suarez has played better this year. One thing that goes unnoticed is that we did this all w/o our #10 Oscar. Not many would think we would win there, especially after seeing him on the bench. It really should have been a 3/4 goal performance too. Matic was awesome. I've never seen someone dispossess Yaya so many times.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #764
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

I hate what City has done to Milner honestly, they ruined him. People have been talking about who is the next Lampard/Gerrard, it was Milner. Fantastically athletic, criminally underrated technical ability on the ball (perhaps better than both Gerrard and Lampard in this aspect, or at least he was), fantastic passing and vision, excellent defensive sensibilities, and of course his excellent work rate, which is the only thing he ever gets credit for.

He was a monster box-to-box midfielder, he is literally EXACTLY what the England NT needs right now. Unfortunately, City bought him and decided the best use of his abilities would be as a substitute winger.

Milner is an exceptionally gifted player, and most people will never even know that.

Every time I see him get subbed on in the 86th minute to play as a second left-back I cry a little bit.

/endrant
Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #765
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Michael Laudrup is out at Swansea. Did NOT see that one coming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #766
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim

Um...........

What?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #767
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Good for him in the long run. Maybe now someone willing to spend will give him some funds to do something with rather than put a saddle on his talents to ride him to mid table finishes with weak squads.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #768
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Before people freak out too much about Laudrup, this is a really good read:

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comme...anager/cer0xzh

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »