Home

2019-20 UEFA Competitions Thread

This is a discussion on 2019-20 UEFA Competitions Thread within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #809

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: 2019-20 UEFA Competitions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Lol no love for Leipzig?

I understand that it's not all that different from PSG/City/other clubs, but I just really dislike how Red Bull centric their branding is, and I dislike that it feels like a full corporate team instead of like a team representing Leipzig.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #810
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Definitely with you on that one, but I dislike PSG way more.

We got drawn against them like every season, and it was the same crap every time. Hazard getting kicked up and down the pitch with absolutely zero consequence even in our own stadium. Honestly didn’t even feel bad that one game where Ibra was wrongfully sent off, because a minimum of 3 PSG players shouldn’t have even been playing in that game, one of whom scored the game winner.

At this point I’m just as happy to see PSG lose as I am seeing Barca lose. Hoping for a Bayern win at this point, though a Lyon win would be hilarious.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #811
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Two of my most disliked players are Neymar and Di Maria do anyone but PSG is cool with me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #812
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
I understand that it's not all that different from PSG/City/other clubs, but I just really dislike how Red Bull centric their branding is, and I dislike that it feels like a full corporate team instead of like a team representing Leipzig.
It's nice having a team in ex-East Germany that can compete in the Bundesliga. All the classic DDR teams got hosed during the reunification carpetbagging style. Would having one of Loko, Chemie or Sachsen Leipzig in the Bundesliga be better? Sure. It's just not that realistic with the way the system is set up, even now. If I get to have a team in my city after all these years, then I'm fine with the RB logo on it.

I'd argue that Leipzig is more pure than PSG or City, as they aren't successful due to oil money, but due to good scouting, transfers, coaching and development. Due to FFP, they haven't been able to wield RB's money in the same way. Bayern probably spends more corporate money on their team than RB on their's.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #813

Suntan Superman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
It's nice having a team in ex-East Germany that can compete in the Bundesliga. All the classic DDR teams got hosed during the reunification carpetbagging style. Would having one of Loko, Chemie or Sachsen Leipzig in the Bundesliga be better? Sure. It's just not that realistic with the way the system is set up, even now. If I get to have a team in my city after all these years, then I'm fine with the RB logo on it.

I'd argue that Leipzig is more pure than PSG or City, as they aren't successful due to oil money, but due to good scouting, transfers, coaching and development. Due to FFP, they haven't been able to wield RB's money in the same way. Bayern probably spends more corporate money on their team than RB on their's.

I'm not saying my feelings are correct, but on a personal level, it would go a long way for me, if they actually just had a normal name. I don't honestly have an issue with the way City/PSG do things, as... soulless as it is with just spending ill-gotten money to field the "best teams" but like, the aesthetic of the clubs allows me to put that in the back of mind. If they were some stupid name like "FC Leipzig" and just had a Red Bull sponsor and a nice coat of arms crest or something like that, I think I could jump that mental hurdle a lot easier.

Just again, this is 100% personal feeling, as I don't really have ties to Germany or German Football, or well any real reason to hate them for their circumvention of the 50+1 rule, or whatever else, I just hate the fact that they are in my face with their corporation.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:54 AM   #814
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

I’m far less bothered by a football club acting as a brand extension/PR division of a global beverage than a nation with an appalling human rights record.

Transfer business aside, I’d prefer corporate ownership above state-owned clubs, everyday.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #815

Suntan Superman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
I’m far less bothered by a football club acting as a brand extension/PR division of a global beverage than a nation with an appalling human rights record.

Transfer business aside, I’d prefer corporate ownership above state-owned clubs, everyday.
I mean, in the grand scheme, I definitely agree, hence my position on Arsenal working with Rwanda, and it's "apolitical club" status, when it comes to the murder of muslims in China. Ultimately, like KG pointed out, if I look at every club on a moral compass, I'm going to find a reason to dislike them. In that moment I didn't disagree with him but instead said it was about the suspension of disbelief for me, basically. As awful as it may be, it's easier to look away when the things you dislike aren't immediately in front of your face.

In the grand scheme, when you sit me down, Leipzig may come up in the discussion but I'll have much less hate for them. During a game my dislike for them will find it's way to the forefront because there's no illusion.

Finally, just because of the TOS I most likely won't talk about this much more, because I'm sure we're all aware of the overall depth of the topic, and the potential for harm. I'm not saying I'm right, just explaining my feelings in the moment of watching a football match.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #816
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahvocado
Why would you want PSG to win as a Chelsea fan?

Think Barca is the only team outside the Prem that I dislike more than PSG.
I look at it like... we beat them once, they beat us once, and then we beat ourselves thanks to Mou. Up a man for ~70 minutes after Zlatan and we couldn't beat them because Mou wouldn't adjust. Just like when we lost to Atletico before that and Jose had Eden out there trying to defend.

But I'm more anti-old guard than anything. We "ruined" football in the mid 2000s and City/PSG just took it to a new level. I can't get too upset at clubs whose owners, however shady they might be and there probably aren't many "shadier" than Roman, dump insane levels of money into the club.

I also like Neymar and PSG winning would piss off so many people.

A Lyon-PSG "farmer's league" Final?

Oui!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »