Home

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

This is a discussion on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

I don't know if an official thread has started for this game. I know that Steve posted one about the DLC.

I think that this game is incredible. I give this game a 10 in the fun department. Let's get some OSers together and race sometime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

it's such a great game. The feel of all the vehicles are so profoudly different that the replay value of the game is through the roof. Tracks are just so beautiful and very intense. but, and this is a big but.....

the offline gaming is really hampered by the ridiculous amount of catch-up logic. It really is a damn shame. I've been playing a lot of the tracks and the results are mainly the same.

let me give u an example.....

first time I tried a track i crashed like 10 times coz i didnt know what the hell I was doing....I finished 3rd, and only 3 seconds from the 1st place cpu driver....

after a while I shaved off like 30 seconds off the track and still finished 3rd. That is maddening. There is really no point in 'mastering' a track because no matter how smooth you run through a course, the cpu will be super smooth too. So the excitement of the game is not really from racing, but from driving.

I wish they incorporated a system where the difficulty level dictates the range of cpu drivers speed. say on track A on easy level.....the avg time the cpu finishes is 5 mins.....on hardest level the cpu is near perfect and finishes at 3:50 . I hope you understand what I mean. Grid had a system like this and other racers had a system like this. It shouldn't be written in stone, there has to be a range so your races are believable. Sometimes you pull out first and never get caught because the pack behind you gets into a huge pile up.

There simply isn't enough variety in the racing portion of this game....every race offline feels the same, and really no point for offline gaming purposes to master a track, because there is really not a big reward for you. After 2 3/4 laps of a perfect race, you expect to be ahead of the pack by a ( which you can pull off in 3 lap race in a motorstorm game), and an accident won't cost you first place, but in this game after a perfect 2 3/4 laps, one accident and you're back in 10th out of 16. It is infuriating!!

BUT, online is where the game shines, its basically a great racing experience and driving experience and intense with NO CATCH UP
Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
it's such a great game. The feel of all the vehicles are so profoudly different that the replay value of the game is through the roof. Tracks are just so beautiful and very intense. but, and this is a big but.....

the offline gaming is really hampered by the ridiculous amount of catch-up logic. It really is a damn shame. I've been playing a lot of the tracks and the results are mainly the same.

let me give u an example.....

first time I tried a track i crashed like 10 times coz i didnt know what the hell I was doing....I finished 3rd, and only 3 seconds from the 1st place cpu driver....

after a while I shaved off like 30 seconds off the track and still finished 3rd. That is maddening. There is really no point in 'mastering' a track because no matter how smooth you run through a course, the cpu will be super smooth too. So the excitement of the game is not really from racing, but from driving.

I wish they incorporated a system where the difficulty level dictates the range of cpu drivers speed. say on track A on easy level.....the avg time the cpu finishes is 5 mins.....on hardest level the cpu is near perfect and finishes at 3:50 . I hope you understand what I mean. Grid had a system like this and other racers had a system like this. It shouldn't be written in stone, there has to be a range so your races are believable. Sometimes you pull out first and never get caught because the pack behind you gets into a huge pile up.

There simply isn't enough variety in the racing portion of this game....every race offline feels the same, and really no point for offline gaming purposes to master a track, because there is really not a big reward for you. After 2 3/4 laps of a perfect race, you expect to be ahead of the pack by a ( which you can pull off in 3 lap race in a motorstorm game), and an accident won't cost you first place, but in this game after a perfect 2 3/4 laps, one accident and you're back in 10th out of 16. It is infuriating!!

BUT, online is where the game shines, its basically a great racing experience and driving experience and intense with NO CATCH UP
Yeah, the festival does have some flaws I guess. I like racing Free play, and the time attack mode. Very fun to listen to your own tunes while doing this as well. Bad thing is you can't bring them online with you.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Is there some kind of glitch I don't know about when racing online?

Some people are unaffected by crashing. I've seen people crash just in front of me, yet somehow their still in front of me. A few times I've seen people crash twice, and I'm holding down boost, yet again their still in front of me. Lame.

Still though this game is a lot of fun. The most impressive thing and what I think sets it apart from other arcade style racers is the track design. The track design is amazing and there's only 2 tracks I really don't care for out the 16. One of them being the track in the demo. That's the most boring and uninspired track in the game. Shame the demo didn't include a better track. There's not a more exhilarating racer from the bonnet-cam view than MotorStorm. The sense of speed is incredible. Physics are better than the first game. There's not as much track deformation, but you can feel every little bump this time around. The graphics are great, at times, jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I love the lighting and the water when splashing up is almost approaching CG quality.

This is everything the first game should have been and more. What annoyed me the most about the first game was the ridiculously long load times for everything, and thankfully they have been greatly reduced. If you own a PS3 and like racing games, you should pick up Pacific Rift.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 24

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT racing wheel. Does this game support it and by support I mean does it support it well where it's actually realistic to use and has the force feedback because I know the 1st Motorstorm didn't have the FF enabled. With GT Prologue the wheel is wonderful but with Grid it's way too twitchy making it too difficult. Since I've gotten the wheel it's impossible to go back to the controller for racing games, it's seems too boring. It's the best investment I've ever made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I have a Logitech Driving Force GT racing wheel. Does this game support it and by support I mean does it support it well where it's actually realistic to use and has the force feedback because I know the 1st Motorstorm didn't have the FF enabled. With GT Prologue the wheel is wonderful but with Grid it's way too twitchy making it too difficult. Since I've gotten the wheel it's impossible to go back to the controller for racing games, it's seems too boring. It's the best investment I've ever made.
I don't believe there is an option for the steering wheel. Too bad, but the game is still very very fun, and the graphics are close if not the top I have seen for a next gen console.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless
Is there some kind of glitch I don't know about when racing online?

Some people are unaffected by crashing. I've seen people crash just in front of me, yet somehow their still in front of me. A few times I've seen people crash twice, and I'm holding down boost, yet again their still in front of me. Lame.

Still though this game is a lot of fun. The most impressive thing and what I think sets it apart from other arcade style racers is the track design. The track design is amazing and there's only 2 tracks I really don't care for out the 16. One of them being the track in the demo. That's the most boring and uninspired track in the game. Shame the demo didn't include a better track. There's not a more exhilarating racer from the bonnet-cam view than MotorStorm. The sense of speed is incredible. Physics are better than the first game. There's not as much track deformation, but you can feel every little bump this time around. The graphics are great, at times, jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I love the lighting and the water when splashing up is almost approaching CG quality.

This is everything the first game should have been and more. What annoyed me the most about the first game was the ridiculously long load times for everything, and thankfully they have been greatly reduced. If you own a PS3 and like racing games, you should pick up Pacific Rift.
Not sure about glitch but it wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. The crew at Havok does a good job in fixing issues.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
DickDalewood

OVR:

This game is PHENOMENAL... Crazy fun and the graphics... WOW.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »