Home

F1 2018 Review: Perhaps One of the Best Racers Ever

This is a discussion on F1 2018 Review: Perhaps One of the Best Racers Ever within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #49
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: F1 2018 Review: Perhaps One of the Best Racers Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdsvtk
I do have that pit assist setting on. Guess i'll play around with it to see if that makes a difference.

As for the R&D, it seems like dev points are being given out like candy this year. In only two races, with full weekend setting on, i've already purchased 4 major upgrades to the car. Wasn't anything like that in F12017.

I agree. Definitely more resource points being given, which is good IMO. I dont think the average gamer really makes it through a long enough time in career mode to actually improve their team. Plus, I've noticed significantly more upgrade failures as well. All the resource points being given out though, has me really nervous for what's going to happen with the potential of rule changes for the next season roll around.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #50
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdsvtk
I do have that pit assist setting on. Guess i'll play around with it to see if that makes a difference.

As for the R&D, it seems like dev points are being given out like candy this year. In only two races, with full weekend setting on, i've already purchased 4 major upgrades to the car. Wasn't anything like that in F12017.
After you advance the weekend you can hit the options button which brings up the pause menu. Have to do it at the loading screen between weekends.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 08-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 2

This game is brutal for total newbies. Getting the hang of it but still can't get through a practice lap without the rewind feature. This is the first racing game I've played that I actually feel the need to go buy a wheel for.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPatetta
This game is brutal for total newbies. Getting the hang of it but still can't get through a practice lap without the rewind feature. This is the first racing game I've played that I actually feel the need to go buy a wheel for.

It can be overwhelming at first, especially if you aren't using assists. This year you can also manually manage the ERS, which adds to the complexity, but it's very rewarding and it's a feature I absolutely love. Adds another layer of strategy.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #53
Rookie

This is truly a brilliant game! I loved -17 but some small details like some behavior from the ai and the repeative career mode was dragging it down.

This years game is a big improvment in almost every area, especially when it comes to immersion and freedom of the career mode.

There is however a few glitches. I made my first podium when i came in second in my first race with my new team mclaren in austria (85 ai, 50%)

I was shocked since my previous results had peaked around 10th.

It was a messy race where it started to rain around lap 10 and when i was on my way to the first pit stop the first safety car went out. Perez out. Gasly out. A short while after verstappen out. Ocon out.

And car after car went out until we were only 11 cars left. I had the lead with 10 seconds with 15 laps to go but Kimi just flew past me after a couple of laps and with 2 laps to go Bottas crashed into my rear (after quite the nasty move from me) so bottas went in to the pit for a new wing and i could cruise to a comfortable second place.

A really great race and one of (IF not the) highligt of my F1 career which started at F1 2014.

That was until i looked att the replay and saw 9 cars in a row crashing into the safety car which was parked just outside the pitlane. The rest of the cars stayed parked in the pitlane...except me, bottas and Kimi.

Well, well. I just pretend that never happened and that i was a speed demon in the rain : )

Still loving the game though!

(Sorry if my english is bad. Writing on my cell with swedish auto correct and it was WAY to long ago i studied english to be able to write correct without english autocorrect)

Skickat från min iPhone med Operation Sports
Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #54
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11
F1 2018 Review: Perhaps One of the Best Racers Ever

In 2017 you couldn’t spin your tires in 1st gear, glad you can in 2018 because it makes a huge difference in warming the tires and getting a good start.

Also, I heard complaints of not knowing when DRS is activated. People said that they had to always look back to see if the wing is open. That may be true but with surround and good speakers I can hear the sound of the wind change right when I open DRS. Cool.

Last edited by Earl1963; 08-29-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #55
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPatetta

You don't need a wheel to be fast. But this is not a mash-the-gas, stand-on-the-brake arcade game like Need For Speed.

Modulate your throttle and brake input and obey the racing line, both for car placement and speed control. You'll be fine.

Remember the basic maxim of cornering in road racing: Slow in, fast out. You'll KILL your lap time if you stand on the brake at the last second and halt your momentum in the corner, especially when a long straight follows that corner. Control your speed before you reach the middle of the turn. If you're not on the gas by the apex (middle) of the corner, then you were going too fast upon corner entry.

Good luck!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2
Couldn't be happier with this years game!
I can still remember when I got my first proper PC way back when, and spent hours upon hours playing Indy 500 and Microprose Grand Prix, first with the keyboard and then a joystick, and thinking how good it would be if they were a bit more realistic. Fast forward 28 years, and I think my expectations have finally been met. Running on PS4 with a G29, 110% AI, no assists and 100% races in career mode is just about the most fun I've ever had with my pants on!!!
Yeah there are still a couple of bugs here and there, but Codies have really delivered on this one, and this old F1 fan is in heaven :-)

Last edited by Lukin4; 08-29-2018 at 08:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »