Home

iRacing AI soft-launches today (12/3/2019)

This is a discussion on iRacing AI soft-launches today (12/3/2019) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
iRacing AI soft-launches today (12/3/2019)

Buried in the update notes today is the fact that iRacing is launching their long-awaited AI mode. It appears you can only drive the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (991) at about a half-dozen tracks, but after almost 2 years of no information, that is pretty exciting to me.

You can set the AI skill range (they recommend 25%-50%, and about a 30% spread to get a wide range of drivers in your race), and users can create races, championship seasons, or whatever they want with up to 60 customizable AI drivers (which can also be shared).

I don't know why stuff like this nerds me out--I can create an AI field of my friends (complete with custom car paints), and then run against AI versions of them in a full championship?

Also an ability to not count caution laps when using full course yellows...dirt racing has been missing this for years.

For anybody keeping an eye on iRacing and hoping for the AI coming soon, it seems like that time is finally arriving.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
Rookie

newmich's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: iRacing AI soft-launches today (12/3/2019)

I will definitely be monitoring this thread. I was looking at purchasing a computer early 2020 with the purpose of using it for iRacing only. This is a big development into my decision if it works out well. Now I just need to find a pre-build computer and monitor and what not. Bad thing is I know nothing about computers lol. Let the research begin.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmich
I will definitely be monitoring this thread. I was looking at purchasing a computer early 2020 with the purpose of using it for iRacing only. This is a big development into my decision if it works out well. Now I just need to find a pre-build computer and monitor and what not. Bad thing is I know nothing about computers lol. Let the research begin.

You will totally hear this elsewhere as well, but you should totally build your own PC. I watched about four or five YouTube builds and used PCPartpicker to build the PC. It gives you compatibility etc, so you can “fake” build and build until you find what you like. Plus, it saves a ton of money over buying a pre-built system, and you can upgrade yourself when needed.

I had never touched computer “insides” before and it was way easier than I had ever imagined. I have now built four PCs over the past three years.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Kneebon is likely crying a little inside tonight... joy/anger/relief. 😜
Old 12-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #5
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Sadly I am horrible with the 911, but I finally got around to doing my first race with AI. There is a lot of work to be done, I think we are a ways off from a final product. I am also a bit worried that they will have to retweak the AI every time there is an update to the cars. I was hoping for something more dynamic, but at this point I will take what I can.

I actually have been having a ton of fun with painting now that we have chrome and flat color abilities. But here is me being bad for 4 laps.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

Yeah that Porsche is a handful early on, especially. I didn't know if I hated the car or what, but once the tires warmed up, it got a bit more fun.

At speed, I like the AI so far. At the starts, not so much.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebon5
Sadly I am horrible with the 911, but I finally got around to doing my first race with AI. There is a lot of work to be done, I think we are a ways off from a final product. I am also a bit worried that they will have to retweak the AI every time there is an update to the cars. I was hoping for something more dynamic, but at this point I will take what I can.

I actually have been having a ton of fun with painting now that we have chrome and flat color abilities. But here is me being bad for 4 laps.

You did better I could ever do!
Old 12-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

I gotta say, after the couple of hotfixes they've put out, I've had a BLAST with the AI races. The tire model was updated so the Porsche Cup car isn't so beastly at the start of races, and I've found a sweet spot for my skill level to be from 65-85% on AI skill.

With that, I can spend a lap or more having to set up a single pass, and gone door to door with cars that felt incredibly life-like. I haven't spent much time tweaking the individual AI cars, but the battles I've had just give me a ton of hope that this will be a good training tool when it's fully released.

There are a ton of games with AI on the market for road racing, but not much for ovals or things like sprint cars on dirt tracks. If they can continue the trajectory they're on, iRacing will literally be the only thing I need for sim racing in the future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »