Rookie

aevans0913's Arena

OVR: 15
Sim-style discussion

Posted this in my Big 12 dynasty,

Heres my take on sim-style:

If it is 4th down you punt or kick a FG
*Exceptions*
If you are losing late in the game and a team would go for it in a real life situation to give themselves a chance to tie or win the game.
If you have a 4th and 1 in the opposing territory, past the 50 yard line.
If you have a 4th and inches anywhere on the field and you are losing.
If it is 4th down and you are within 3 yards of the goal line (about to score). My reasoning behind this is that if you do not convert the opposing team is backed up to their 3 yard line and getting a potential safety and the ball back can be just as valuable as a FG. If you are up by 14 or more just kick the FG.
If you are around the 35 yard line and you don't think your kicker is within his range a 4th and 2 or shorter would be acceptable to go for it if you are losing. Otherwise punt the ball and try to down your opponent within their 10 yard line.
If there is less than 1 minute left, and the game is tied, and you are on the opposing side of the field (past the 50 yard line). It is ok for you to attempt a 4th down conversion if you have 10 yards or less to go and you are out of field goal range.

When you are up by 21 or more in the 4th use mass subs to let your backups get some playing time. This benefits you because this helps your backups develop more for next season. (If they do well they can increase ratings within the season). It also helps avoid losing a key player to injury in a game you already had in the bag.

Dont run the same plays, have some variety
While most teams have their bread and butter plays that they use when they need to convert, dont call the same couple plays over and over. (I have a friend that would run the Circus play in the Hail Mary formation in last years NCAA literally every single play). Honestly if a player only runs a couple plays over and over the defense should not have too hard of a time finding a defensive scheme to shut them down, but for the sake of the game have some sort of variety.

Fake Punts and Fake FG's
These occur in college football and can have big impact's on the game. If you are winning by more than 3 points do not use them, they are usually called by a losing team that is trying to swing momentum. Do not make a habit of them, they are not called often but that doesn't mean they are never called.

Running on Passing situations and vice versa
You can adjust your defensive scheme to play the pass or run. As an offense you are not required to play into the defense's hands. If you think they are playing a prevent style defense on 3rd and 10 and you have faith in your RB, by all means run the ball. It is the defensive coordinator's responsibility to be ready for any play in any situation.

Running the Hurry up Offense
This can be very frustrating as a defense but it is part of the game and it is allowed. Call a timeout if you need to switch out your personnel. (Avoid pausing if your User opponent is running the hurry up, not sure if it will still be the same in an online dynasty but every time this has happened in online Ultimate Team it causes the game to freeze up)

Onside Kicks
Only use them if you are losing late in the 4th quarter (Under 2 minutes left).

2 point conversions
Should only be attempted when it is called for. i.e. if your TD puts you up by 4 or 5 then kicking the extra point doesn't do much for you. (If you are up by 3 possessions or more just kick the extra point)
If you score a TD in the last seconds of the game and would prefer to put the game on the line with one last play than take your chances in OT.

This is just my take on it, feel free to add to anything I have said. If you have a disagreement let me know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Sim-style discussion

I think 4th down could be a slippery slope. I went for on a user game this season on the 35 yard line in a tie game because it was outside of my kicker's range. 4th and 5 going for it is pretty common thing once or twice a game around 30-35 yardline in real life in Sunbelt conference. The key is just don't abuse going for on 4th down.

PS3 NCAA 2014 Dynasty - Rags to Riches Online Dynasty - South Alabama

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Online > Rags To Riches »