Home

NFL Head Coach 09 Review

This is a discussion on NFL Head Coach 09 Review within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NFL Head Coach 09 Review

It's a good game no doubt, but it does come with things that do need to be looked at if there is a next version such as

1. Running game - it's not usable on a consistent basis. Too many negative yard runs, and LBs get in the backfield way too fast. Everything has to be perfect in order to get decent yards.

2. Robo QB - Rex Grossman or any other below average QB should not have a completion percentage above 57-60 at best. There should be a drastic change between Peyton Manning and Alex Smith. Accuracy and Awareness should have a substantial effect. Michael Vick has one of the strongest NFL arms in the league, but his accuracy when passing was awful, especially deep. In my career, Alex Smith got up to 86 overall because all the Niner's did was pass, he shouldn't ever progress to that point because in real life, he's awful. (although that can be fixed in a roster update)

3. I should be able to bring up the player's ratings before I decide to bid on a player or not.

4. Season goals should be more realistic. Everytime I start a Jets career my GM wants me to trade for Desmond Clark, despite having Chris Baker, Dustin Keller, and Bubba Franks on the roster, in other words, the team is already pretty much packed in the TE position, and yet he wants me to cram another on the team.

5. Have the ability to frontload contracts and be able to apporach players for contract extensions to create more cap room or take a paycut. That I think is more realistic than having them approach you to take a paycut, no player in the league is going to give up money unless you ask, even than it's a very small group of players who take paycuts selflessly.

6. Tone down the effect of defining moments, and stop it from coming up in dumb times. No fan is going to bash the head coach for deciding to kick the field goal on 4th and 1 in overtime. You'd have to be a complete moron to fault a coach for doing that. If the team wins the game, the points should be given back, because no fan is going to berate a coach that won the game, again the fan would be a moron to do so. "Mangini is an idiot, he may have won it overtime, but he should have went for the TD instead of the FG." I've never heard anyone say anything like that before. Just doesn't happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #82
TCF
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanalogkid
It's a good game no doubt, but it does come with things that do need to be looked at if there is a next version such as

1. Running game - it's not usable on a consistent basis. Too many negative yard runs, and LBs get in the backfield way too fast. Everything has to be perfect in order to get decent yards.

2. Robo QB - Rex Grossman or any other below average QB should not have a completion percentage above 57-60 at best. There should be a drastic change between Peyton Manning and Alex Smith. Accuracy and Awareness should have a substantial effect. Michael Vick has one of the strongest NFL arms in the league, but his accuracy when passing was awful, especially deep. In my career, Alex Smith got up to 86 overall because all the Niner's did was pass, he shouldn't ever progress to that point because in real life, he's awful. (although that can be fixed in a roster update)

3. I should be able to bring up the player's ratings before I decide to bid on a player or not.

4. Season goals should be more realistic. Everytime I start a Jets career my GM wants me to trade for Desmond Clark, despite having Chris Baker, Dustin Keller, and Bubba Franks on the roster, in other words, the team is already pretty much packed in the TE position, and yet he wants me to cram another on the team.

5. Have the ability to frontload contracts and be able to apporach players for contract extensions to create more cap room or take a paycut. That I think is more realistic than having them approach you to take a paycut, no player in the league is going to give up money unless you ask, even than it's a very small group of players who take paycuts selflessly.

6. Tone down the effect of defining moments, and stop it from coming up in dumb times. No fan is going to bash the head coach for deciding to kick the field goal on 4th and 1 in overtime. You'd have to be a complete moron to fault a coach for doing that. If the team wins the game, the points should be given back, because no fan is going to berate a coach that won the game, again the fan would be a moron to do so. "Mangini is an idiot, he may have won it overtime, but he should have went for the TD instead of the FG." I've never heard anyone say anything like that before. Just doesn't happen.
bet the 9ers are regretting not taking Rogers

on #6 i have to agree.. i get booed for wanting to kick a FG instead of going for it in the redzone on 4th and 5
Old 04-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #83
Banned

OVR: 89
The features are unbelievable... But the fact is I can't create the EXACT plays I want to run...

And as a head coach you should be able to do this...

EA did this feature right in create a playbook in Madden on PS2 and they messed up the whole feature in Head Coach...

Please Fix
Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #84
MVP

OVR: 26

i think you just dont know how to use it properly
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #85
MVP

OVR: 42

Or he's looking for formations/sets that the game doesn't allow from a logic stand point.

I remember a lot of cheesy assed formations being created back in the day that abused AI logic in the game. Not to say if thats what a guy wants to do with his play creator, that it's wrong but this more likely a case of not being able the A-11 or something of that ilk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #86
Rookie

Chris_Staymates's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
not being able the A-11 or something
FWIW - The original design document for the feature specifically called out being able to create A-11 if you wanted to. We did some early prototyping and the problem was that the Defensive AI would go absolutely stupid. The time it would have taken to address this was pretty substantial and just wasn't in the schedule. I know that's a lame excuse, but...it is what it is I guess.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #87
Banned

OVR: 12

Started up a new Franchsie as the Rams. I just had S. Jackson bust a 90 yard TD run.

Chris: why can't the defense AI read what your opponents offense scheme? My DC will be in base defense while my opponent will be in a 3WR or 4WR set. This was a big thing that was a torn in my side with the game.

Last edited by claystone; 04-29-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #88
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Staymates
FWIW - ... and the problem was that the Defensive AI would go absolutely stupid. The time it would have taken to address this was pretty substantial and just wasn't in the schedule. I know that's a lame excuse, but...it is what it is I guess.
Personally, I see no reason for anybody to make an excuse/apologize for this or most anything else that some folks tend to rant and rave about.

You made a great game. Not perfect, but great for me.

And clearly not great for everyone but it's a game of big steps forwards, not little tweaks, and that should be the hard fact that remains on the table when folks see fit to offer their criticism.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »