Home

NFL Head Coach 09 Review

This is a discussion on NFL Head Coach 09 Review within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 10
From one professional sports videogame journalist to another ... Mr. Crouch .. an outstanding article. Truly. Best on OS in quite some time. Impressive.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NFL Head Coach 09 Review

GI never gives good reviews unless it's Halo, COD or Zelda. I happen to love the game, Ive just had that freeze issue. If thats fixed, I will buy this game every year you release it.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 17

I disagree with Terry on the impact of the bugs and the final review score.

Let's say you don't visit or OS. How would you know about the bugs? Bugs that have been posted in various threads should knock down the review score.

Not because the game is bad but because it makes the game LESS PLAYABLE but not UNPLAYABLE.

Bugs whether or not there's a workaround should always impact a review and I believe the final score. Fix the bugs and then re-edit the review. That's how I believe it should be done. IGN doesn't do this, they usually will lowball a game and not edit the review to reflect the changes.

I think Terry's review, was the opposite. It was more of a grade on the potential if (now when) the patch was to be issues. I don't agree with it. Outside of that, I think it's a fine review. Covers all the details well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #52
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
I disagree with Terry on the impact of the bugs and the final review score.

Let's say you don't visit or OS. How would you know about the bugs? Bugs that have been posted in various threads should knock down the review score.

Not because the game is bad but because it makes the game LESS PLAYABLE but not UNPLAYABLE.

Bugs whether or not there's a workaround should always impact a review and I believe the final score. Fix the bugs and then re-edit the review. That's how I believe it should be done. IGN doesn't do this, they usually will lowball a game and not edit the review to reflect the changes.

I think Terry's review, was the opposite. It was more of a grade on the potential if (now when) the patch was to be issues. I don't agree with it. Outside of that, I think it's a fine review. Covers all the details well.
I have to agree. A game should be reviewed for whatever condition it is in at the time of the review not for potential or the fact the developers are very active in the community. Don't get me wrong, I personally like the basics and atmosphere and will be playing it quite a bit this year. However, there are quite a few issues (maybe none of them in some eyes enough to break the game completely) but when you string them all together, can be frustrating and potential buyers should be aware of these. I would fully support a second review once the patch is out, but although a large number of issues are being fixed, not sure all the rest will be addressed and likely won't.

If every game got reviewed on "potential" and the "development team" is great guys, well I think a lot of games would be ranked very high. I also don't think the developers should get down on these reviews, because in general it is a pretty decent first version and compared to other games where bugs are the norm, probably not that bad.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #53
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
Im not calling the plays, Im letting my OC call them since I was afraid if I started calling the plays then paying a guy like Mike Martz to be my OC would be pointless. Ive asked around and nobody has told me if the OC serves a purpose other then calling plays, if the other factor is the increase and growth of your players then maybe I will go back to calling my own plays but until then Im going to keep letting them call. The other side of the coin is I want to see my team struggle because we have a terrible DC, so in turn I want to feel like I have an advantage with a good OC.

I really dont know how to describe it, Martz clearly throws the ball a ton, thats to be expected, I just dont see the troubles of having a bad QB under center and it makes it pointless to go out and get a new one since Smith is playing way above where he should be playing. Like I said, volume isnt the problem, its the insane accuracy at which Smith is torching teams. Im in the middle of a game but at the end I will see if I can track down Smiths season ending stats, as long as they dont reset for the playoffs then it shouldnt be difficult to find. In the end all I can say is let Martz pick your plays and see what happens, thats all Im doing and these are the results Im getting.

Ohh, in terms of Gore running backwards, its different if someone is in the hole and he is attempting to bounce it outside but Im seeing him run backwards out of a hole that is wide open without a sole around, its like the guy is seeing a ghost and is running away in fear. Its not just strange to see, its irritating to no end.
I am see similar things, too. Many times RB are running backwards when there is clearly a hole there.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #54
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greazy 1
I don't understand the score. While I've read a lot of great reviews from people, there is still a large list of bugs and glitches, some of them being game breakers yet it still receives a 9? What is going on here? A GAME BREAKING BUG means it completely ruins the game. That's like saying Halo 4 gets a 9 but oh yeah, there is a bug where your opponents won't die in online matches, ie: game breaker!!!!

Even still, I'm very much looking forward to testing this game out. Goes to show you EA what can be done to a game when you take the time to put some work into it, **coughMADDENcough**. If EA can make the patches a go, as promised, then I could warrant the reviewers rating of a 9.
Wait you're calling out a review score and talking about gamebreakin bugs, but haven't played yet?

LOL.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 4
Dugg
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #56
Pro

biglami's Arena

OVR: 11
i dont get y this game exists, but i guess if u have horrible stick skills and wanna manage a team then go for it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »