Home

Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #113
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: IGN.....Hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
I disagree. A kid playing on rookie should not have to worry if his QB's feet are set to throw the ball. I have no problem with allowing leeway with passing accuracy on lower levels as long as All Pro and All Madden are sim-like. Just like player speed differentials are adjusted based on difficulty, so should the effect on accuracy for running back and chucking the ball. That doesnt make the game any less sim imo as long as proper physics are applied.

See I'd say to continue to slow the game down and offer CPU assitance to even the kid. I wouldn't even argue about not punishing them totally on ratings. Then he "feels" like he's done it and the integrity of the game (football) is intact. Then he's both learning how to play a videogame well and learning football fundimentals at the same time. It'll be like giving a kid a Leapfrog, instead of just a gaming system. And it really would help the average joe who doesn't have the best sticks. He wants to be Peyton Manning and the CPU will help him to do it. But Average Joe who wants the casual fix will still say WTH when he sees someone run back 20 yards and fling a strike for 50. The football purity should overule all, or it just looks hokey after a while, and the game will never grow and neither will sales...

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #114
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX CASCABEL Xx
This Quote:

''But honestly, I didn't feel it much in my demo with a pre-beta build. I was able to still hold back on the left stick and run away from my offensive line before flinging a pass thirty yards to a receiver. I never got sacked and rarely felt pressure from the outside like the new pocket design intends''

I know it is a work in progress, however this must not be in the game...
Yeah, this must get corrected before this game releases. If you can still run all over the place and throw a perfect pass the game will be junk. I am so very sick of dealing with this online constantly. Please fix this.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #115
MVP

OVR: 55

I was alluding to the idea that the IGN reviewer is like a kid playing madden. He has very limited football knowledge. I gleaned this judgment through the type of criticism he had.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #116
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
IMO, this is the real limit term for the future of the franchise--not the intentions of the team but the expectations of the base.

As far as the issue of throwing far while running backwards, I think it's okay that it happens, but here's how you have to contextualize it: Elway, Marino, Favre.

I've seen those guys do things that defy the traditional rules of good quarterback play on a fairly regular basis. But they're singular players, once or twice in a generation type players.

Sure, some guys can make an ill-advised but successful throw with decent zip while moving backward from time to time, but for most QB's it's a very bad idea.

This raises a larger question that I had relative to the issue of QB accuracy: zip.

I wonder if guys will have different amounts of "hang time" on their throws, like real life. This is crucial. If you run back and throw with a guy who lacks an elite arm, that ball should hang, big time, and allow the defense time to break.

There should also be different hang times on regular throws. Pennington is an extreme example, but his throws float. They're accurate, but not quick. This should factor into how short, medium, and long throws come out.
Totally agree with all, 100%. But the base thing really irks me. Do these guys actually want football? I'm in that tiny crowd that wants my perfect slant for the TD to be called back for my knucklehead RT holding the elite DE. And then I want to go to replay and, sure enough there's the takedown. Damn! But, it was because my RT is highly outmatched in ratings and the right play was called against my poor choice to not go max protect to help him out. Every year I max out the penalty sliders and it's still not realistic. And I think it's because they are doing the delicate balance between "sim" and fun. Heck, even my beloved Fifa has a Producer that wont put handballs in the game. Huh? You have the most advanced collision detection that has ever been in a sports game and worry that people wont like handballs? WTH? Soccer 101.

The base needs to follow the game, not the other way. And I really believe they will. And I'm loving your ideas about hanging balls that get picked. If the guy can't throw off the back foot, make the player learn he can't. The hard way. 'Nuff said.... Good post!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #117
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN)

Overall this sounds like an honest interpretation of the game in its current state. I'm not worried as Ian and crew know what issues need to be addressed. They have a few months left to tune this game to where it needs to be and I expect them to ship out a high quality product.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #118
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Sounds good Ian and crew, just tune that pocket and get those DE's down field fast so U have to step up then out to scramble, not just shoot around the DE's.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #119
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

I was wondering if the cut scenes they talk about will be from static camera angles, like the other game... or will we get to see them from different angles occasionally. I like the idea of seeing the hot dog guy, but if it looks the same every time, after the 10th time I'll be a little tired of it. just changing how we see things could really help too... but how would I know anything, all I have to go by is conjecture and reviews... Can't wait to see something.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #120
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoady4shoady
What you have to remember is that many of us played 2k5 and All PRo 2k, and we are use to a real pocket and the pressure that comes from it. Many if not all of us expect a football game that comes out many years later to be at least up to par in such an important aspect of the game of football as a last gen game.

Is this really asking to much Ian? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I must laugh at your use of culture shock. Please dont take it personally.
Hmm.

Let's say there are 5 million copies of Madden sold this year. Of those Madden 10 buyers, how many do you think have played more than one previous Madden iteration? 1 million? 2 million? 4 million? It's definitely way over half.

Now, how many Madden 10 buyers played APF 2k8? 10,000? (How many copies did they sell?) And in respect to 2k5, even if say 500k of the Madden 10 players played 2k5, that was 5 years ago...I can't expect someone to remember their game style from back then.

A very high percentage of the Madden fanbase is used to "not" having a pocket. So on pro mode, we make the pocket a much safer place to be than we do on all-pro. So if Nate wasn't "feeling the pressure" that much, that's actually how we want it to be. It would be a total dumb move to make it so casual Madden fans get sacked every other play the first time they boot up Madden NFL 10. Nate (and everyone) can always step up a skill level if they want it to feel like an NFL experience.

However, the end tuning goal is to make you pay if you actually drop way out of the pocket...but it's early and that's not there yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »