Home

Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #73
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

before trying to add new things maybe try to get the basics right. How can PS2 maddens have so much more franchise and gameplay features then the madden's we have now. How much people say BB physics wasn't done right it was a lot of improvement to canned animations. I understand they put a lot of jaw dropping tackles but if you play the game then pull back the replays you will see so much realistic movement done on the field you wouldn't believe your eyes. BB is far from perfect but EA needs to stop it with this approach.

I don't think EA can make there game have real time physics unless they scrap the engine they have now and I feel that Ian and his team thinks it's to late to start fresh. To much would be in stake. I prey to god that EA don't renew the NFL deal because if other companies put out better products they will be force to be creative.

To sum it up another year of Madden another year promises and another year of not following through with them.

Hope EA can get it together
Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryandrew
How many more Maddens do they have to make, under the license? 2?
They have 2 more left, the exclusive license ends after the super bowl in 2013
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 22
What Ian was saying in regards to real time physics is the gameplay would be to lose and random and it wouldn't reflect the NFL experience. I personally can respect that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
not the "exclusivity" part
I think they'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
I do think EA will try and renew the license, but there is alot against them this time around. The supreme court ruling, multiple lawsuits and the decline of sales might be a factor in 2012. We have to see, but i hope EA at least get to the point of surpassing 2k5 by that time. Its a shame its taking them this long, besides graphics, they really havent done much.
There is nothing directly against them though. They could argue that the American Needle case only applies to clothing, the lawsuits haven't really gone anywhere, and EA make enough money from other things that declining sales aren't an issue yet.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #77

OVR: 34

This interview is very frustrating for me. Other than the fact that Madden houses NFL teams, I have no incentive to purchase the game. That should play a factor in it though. I should buy the game because it has the official NFL teams. It's just that the game has no legs after that, and that's where I get frustrated. Ian mentions how 06 and 07 were somewhat rushed (obviously 06 was). However, we are now well into this generation of consoles and what we are being told is that franchise mode has to be done over and how incorporating real time physics is very difficult because its a football simulation and that makes it more difficult than other sports.

So again this year, even though there are things like "locomotion" and "gameflow", the overall incentive is, "This game has the NFL." The thing is that has been established. We know that. But what about beyond that? What about Madden makes me want to play with the NFL? Not really much. At least nothing worthy of another $65.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #78
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I think they'll try.

There is nothing directly against them though. They could argue that the American Needle case only applies to clothing, the lawsuits haven't really gone anywhere, and EA make enough money from other things that declining sales aren't an issue yet.
Not to turn this into an exclusive license debate, but declining sales are very much an issue. The BOD and stockholders have made it an issue. Spending more to sell less is always an issue.

EA is a publicly traded company. They have people to answer to. If an exclusive license, which cost them much more than the non exclusive license, isn't fiscally beneficial, then there is a good chance they won't do it. To this point, it hasn't looked like a good business decision.

Now maybe they still might be able to sell the powers that be on it anyway, but it's a much harder sell now than it was in 2005. Anything is possible.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #79
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadthedad
What Ian was saying in regards to real time physics is the gameplay would be to lose and random and it wouldn't reflect the NFL experience. I personally can respect that.
I don't know how he could think that, if he in fact, does.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Not to turn this into an exclusive license debate, but declining sales are very much an issue. The BOD and stockholders have made it an issue. Spending more to sell less is always an issue.

EA is a publicly traded company. They have people to answer to. If an exclusive license, which cost them much more than the non exclusive license, isn't fiscally beneficial, then there is a good chance they won't do it. To this point, it hasn't looked like a good business decision.

Now maybe they still might be able to sell the powers that be on it anyway, but it's a much harder sell now than it was in 2005. Anything is possible.
I did say "yet". If it carries on over Madden 11, 12 and 13 then it could be a big issue definitely. The main question they will have is whether a non-exclusive license is worth the risk of say 2k or Backbreaker making a better game than them (which loses them money) or whether renewing the exclusive license is worth the extra up-front cost.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »