Home

EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #33
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: EA Sports MMA Video: Frank Shamrock Interview with Gameplay

I hope Anim8or reads this and chimes in.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
If you mash, you lose VERY fast. The joint lock submissions are a stamina management game with button presses. You will instantly notice Arm and Leg submissions are tuned very differently so different tactics work and even though they are both button mechanics they feel totally different.

When you don't push the button your stamina comes back, but your opponents presses are moving him towards victory. When you DO hit the button depending on where your stamina currently is, you move the submission more in your direction and deplete some of your stamina. (as the battle continues over time these button presses become worth more for both fighters). So the entire meta-game (which takes serious time to master) is about managing your stamina and has NOTHING to do with being able to mash fast (turbo controllers will instantly make you lose), and deciding when to burst through and try to escape based on how much each button press is worth. Losing all your stamina results in a short penalty where your presses are worthless (if you are being submitted) or failure (if you are submitting).

There are several different ways to play and even our most advanced members of the dev team still haven't decided what the best method is.. but the way I play it is hang on and conserve my stamina and watch my opponents stamina and mine, when he gets tired, I'll try to quickly escape or finish (the gamble here is trying to make sure I can survive long enough for him to get tired, then get swing the battle all the way back and not completely deplete my stamina doing it).

Your opponents MAX stamina (which is depleted during the fight by having his grappling attempts and escapes countered or denied) can also affect the outcome because it maxes out what his potential button press is worth, so in the end the real way to submit someone is to wear them out with some ground and pound, and go for the submission when they are exhausted, you have a much easier time in the battle... There is a lot of strategy to it. Ground fighters get quite good at setting it up and then very good at the submission battles themselves...
I think this should explain it better for you
Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #35
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
i could still see a limb submission go completely red before you have a chance to do anything if thts the case, like thrown on late in the fight to get a guy to tap before he has a chance to fight it off. any repeated tap system can be abued by a turbo controller unless there is a lockout period preprogramed by the developers. if you had enough stamina to finish, the turbo conroller would pretty much ensure that you finished. i thought it was gonna be like a press and hold style, then back off to regain stamina then hold it in again to fight for the lock or the escape
Nope.. There is no way, you mash fast and you run out of stamina WAY before you win. (so you will lose EVERY time).
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

so you kinda have to pace your timing with the presses to get the most out of them? and then back off and regain stamina?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #37
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
so you kinda have to pace your timing with the presses to get the most out of them? and then back off and regain stamina?
honestly there have evolved several techniques. My personal technique is sort of rythmic trying to keep my stamina high, letting the other guy get closer to winning (counting on him having less stamina than me), hang on as long as I can so each press becomes very valuable for me, then let my stamina regenerate all the way (hopefully I don't lose at this point) and then quickly hit fast a few times and hope to catch my opponent off guard and win before I run out of stamina. There are multiple points of failure with my method, but I still find it to be a successful way to play the game (for arm locks, leg locks and chokes I treat differently)..

There are so many different methods that have evolved, theories on each game that it is pretty fun seeing our submission experts go against each other. There are guys on the team who have gotten amazing at the games too.
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
honestly there have evolved several techniques. My personal technique is sort of rythmic trying to keep my stamina high, letting the other guy get closer to winning (counting on him having less stamina than me), hang on as long as I can so each press becomes very valuable for me, then let my stamina regenerate all the way (hopefully I don't lose at this point) and then quickly hit fast a few times and hope to catch my opponent off guard and win before I run out of stamina. There are multiple points of failure with my method, but I still find it to be a successful way to play the game (for arm locks, leg locks and chokes I treat differently)..

There are so many different methods that have evolved, theories on each game that it is pretty fun seeing our submission experts go against each other. There are guys on the team who have gotten amazing at the games too.
That is very nice and refreshing to hear! I'll be creating a primarily BJJ guy (and when using the real fighters roll with Aoki and the Gracies) so I'm really excited about the submission battles in this game!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #39
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

anim8tor, i just want to thank you for helping us all understand a little better and giving us all an insight here. i and the vast majority of this community definitely appreciates it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »