Home

The Sounds of The Show Come from the Minor Leagues

This is a discussion on The Sounds of The Show Come from the Minor Leagues within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Sounds of The Show Come from the Minor Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
The thing that I like about this article, and the article which preceded it involving the same event, is that this is something which normally just happens "behind the scenes" for us, something which we normally choose to neglect because the information is not that important.

In my opinion, if there are articles being released about this kind of information, and a website actually uses an author to take quotes and write out said story, I think this improvement is significant for the game's presentation front with regard to changes being made. I do hope we're in for a treat from that "staleness" we've felt with the game the past few years (I don't mean "blandness," I simply mean "same ol' same ol'").

Although, I do wish they were able to do this in a major league park for the overall crowd ambiance.
Yea, the crowd noises are completely different. CBP during a tight game in the late innings? hard to talk to the person next to you.

They got the timing and rise and fall of the crowd down. Each pitch in a big at-bat making the crowd fall silent for a second before revving up again. But it just doesn't seem "loud" enough to me. Also, while they may be recording real baseball sounds, they sure don't sound as good as they do in real life. There is a very distinct and loud crack of the bat when a big guy crushes one. It's there in the Show but it needs some extra oomph added to it. That might be artificial, but somewhere in the conversion process the sounds lose a bit of their power.

I know this is frowned upon, but mlb2k11 got this stuff right. They also have slightly more varied crowd noises (although their crowd graphics are horrible). My dream game would be to take 2k11's presentation and sounds into MLB 11 and keep everything else the same. I might never player another game again. Also include the post-season mode from 2k11, I love being able to just jump in to the post-season without having to sim, hope your team makes it, sim again if they don't etc. and you get to setup who/where you play.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
Does that minor league stadium have chain link fence behind the plate? Because that chain link sound on what should be nylon net has been bugging me every year.

I haven't seen chain link used since Little League, and even then the chain link had been replaced with nylon when they redid the fields a few years later.

The sounds in the game otherwise are stellar (although footstep sounds are a bit too loud) but they have gotta change the backstop sound.
I forgot about that I hope its been removed form MLB 12 The Show!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Rookie

Ghoste's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
Does that minor league stadium have chain link fence behind the plate? Because that chain link sound on what should be nylon net has been bugging me every year.

I haven't seen chain link used since Little League, and even then the chain link had been replaced with nylon when they redid the fields a few years later.

The sounds in the game otherwise are stellar (although footstep sounds are a bit too loud) but they have gotta change the backstop sound.
I can't stand the chain link fence sound either and hope it is addressed. I'd like them to have that loud 'boom' sound caused by the mic.

-ghoste
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
I love The Show. I really do. The commentating is vast and grand, but unfortunately I've gotten tired of that crew. The one thing I really want from The Show is another commentating team to choose from.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 19
they shouid go to Japan and add their stadium sounds. Their crowds are so much more lively.
just a commet but MLB crowds are just too conservative in general
Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
they shouid go to Japan and add their stadium sounds. Their crowds are so much more lively.
just a commet but MLB crowds are just too conservative in general
Then it wouldn't be authentic.

There's a difference between wanting liveliness as an MLB stadium has it, and wanting liveliness for the sake of having liveliness. I couldn't imagine popping my game in and for some reason hearing crowd audio as if it was from a soccer game.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Then it wouldn't be authentic.

There's a difference between wanting liveliness as an MLB stadium has it, and wanting liveliness for the sake of having liveliness. I couldn't imagine popping my game in and for some reason hearing crowd audio as if it was from a soccer game.
This is so true. In fact, "snooty" baseball connoisseurs in Japan actually admire the MLB style of fans reacting to what actually happen in the field (they say that "Americans know how to truly appreciate the game" ...LOL). In Japan they take a baseball game more like a festivity than anything else, which is fine for its own sake... it's good baseball is so loved somewhere.

Still what's funny is that some American players who had played in Japan have said that they actually miss all the noises. I guess it pumps them up like a can of Red Bull...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

To add to the discussion, I think something like crowd noises don't have to be exact audio copies of what the devs have recorded. They probably can layer them in various ways to make various sounds, e.g., making it louder.

I don't use a top-notch audio equipment when I play the Show so I'm not so into the details of audio quality (which to me is already good enough as is).

What would really enhance the game, however, is the crowd getting louder and softer depending on the game/season context. That, I think the Show can improve a lot... all this ties into what people are saying about how the current commentary lacks context.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »