Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPelican
Im actually still playing TW 10. I decided to download the demo and I am dissapointed in the putting. It seems very clunky like Onlooker said. I dont understand the change.
I love the feel of the putting in TW10. I felt I had more control in the feel of my golfer.
One of the Devs stated on the EA Tiger forums that there was a bug in the putting stroke that made it in the demo that was fixed for the final version.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 2
TW golf games=Yuk

It's basically the same game every year. Some things progress, some things regress....the story is the same with most of EA sports games. If you have any of roughly the prior 4 versions, stick with those.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPelican
Im actually still playing TW 10. I decided to download the demo and I am dissapointed in the putting. It seems very clunky like Onlooker said. I dont understand the change.
I love the feel of the putting in TW10. I felt I had more control in the feel of my golfer.
There's no doubt in my mind, the Precision Putting interface in Tiger 10 is the best of the series. I think some of the clunkiness we're seeing will be fixed in the final game. They were still refining animation work up until the last minute, from what Mike DeVault said. I think there's also a hitch in the putting stroke that accidentally got into the demo that's causing some of the multiple clutching we're having to do. I think Divot can speak to this with more authority than me though. [EDIT: I see he already has... thanks Divot]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #36
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Might be in the minority here, but I'm actually enjoying this demo alot. Love that tempo matters (though I've yet to achieve good tempo, only fast and slow lol) and enjoying the different camera options when you're hitting the ball.

Might be I've lowered my expectations for what "sim" golf means anymore but I have enjoyed every TW game to some extent since the 2004 edition and it's really hit it's stride as far as console golf is concerned with the 11, 12 and seemingly 13 releases.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm going back and forth between the 360 version and the PS3 version, simply because I want the better motion experience (I have both Kinect & Move). Let me preface my points about the Kinect by saying I may be dealing with lighting issues, so some of the problems that I'm seeing may have to do with that.

1) I hate the menus in both games. I know it's very early on, but I just can't seem to navigate without having to slow down and think about what I'm trying to do before I move. With the Kinect, remember when to swipe your hands up/down & right/left confuses me, at times. With the Move, I'm getting mixed results (especially in the settings menu).

2)As far as the actual gameplay is concerned, I am leaning more towards the Kinect version (only because I've played it slightly more). The voice controls for the Kinect make it a breeze to maneuver around the course. Pre-swing, the one area in both games that can be problematic is moving the aiming marker. On the Kinect, I like reaching out, closing my hand, and moving the marker around (when it works). No matter what I do, I seem to spend a lot of time trying to move the aim marker on the Move (especially up & down). Changing your stance on the Kinect is very fair, but gives me nothing but headaches on the Move (more experimenting necessary).

3)As far as the actual swing is concerned, I started both using the Pro difficulty and found both very easy to keep shots straight and over-hit very easily. I very rarely hit the rough (or out of bounds) in either game. When I bumped things up to Tour Pro, flaws in my swing started to show. The one common flaw in my swing in both games is that I tend to hook my shots (from right to left). It was nice that the same flaw showed up in both games (especially since that's my real-life flaw). With the Kinect, I'm starting to get better at hitting straight shots (need more time on the Move). The only time I bump up the difficulty to Tournament was using the Kinect, and I was hitting horribly (couldn't keep it straight). Definitely need more work.

4)Tried a few shorter pitch shots on both systems. I had a difficult time getting the distances correct with both systems. Out of 10 short pitches, I felt more comfortable on the Move. More experimenting is necessary before reading too much int this, though.
5) For putting, I had all kinds of problems on both systems. With the Move, I could read the lie but had issues moving the aiming marker. I really didn't have a good feel for distances. Hitting anything less than 6 feet would be an adventure (although, I'm sure I need to lighten up on my putting stroke). With the Kinect, I could not read the lie at all. Every time I'd try to crouch and read the lie, I'd get the looping animation. Basically, I had to just aim the shot and hope my standing view of the lie would suffice. With the distances, I could pretty much use the same strength on my strokes and it would be sufficient. After reading about a putting bug that got into the demo, I'm not going to read too much into the demo's putting game, at the moment. But as of right now, I'd give the slight edge to the Move (for potential).

Being these views are very early, I have not made a final decision on which way I want to go with my pre-order. I only want one, but neither one has jumped out to me, as of yet. I can see the potential in both, but just need more time to familiarize myself with the controls more.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Not getting a Vita, but gotta admit HS on that little beastie would be sweet.

The demos for TW the past couple of years, especially TW12, were pretty bad for me. I seem to get MUCH more enjoyment out of the full versions and building up my CAG from crap to competitor lol. So, I'm passing on the demo this year, have the CE preordered from amazon on good faith that I like what EA has been delivering, especially with TW11 and 12.

Glad to hear mostly positive vibes so far on the demo from you guys.

Seymour, I reckon you'll be sticking with 11 unless you get 13 anyway and have an epiphany. Nothing wrong with that....EA seems to be making conscionably different games from 11 to 12 to 13.

11 IS a masterpiece in it's own right. Love the 'math' and course management in that one, it's the most like really playing and is a thinking-man's Tiger Woods game (especially top difficulty/True Aim).

12 took me a little while to warm up to and I thought I made a mistake buying it at first, then once I got it set up how I enjoy playing it and accepted it's 'differentness' from TW11, I started having a great time with it (carnival pins aside, but that didn't break it for me).

I'm open to what 13's bringing this year.
If you really liked TW11 and are willing to listen to me on anything then listen now. PLEASE DL the demo and play it before you spend your money. It is totally different from even TW12, it is basically a game of flick the stick and nothing else. It is about as automated as it can get. I got bored of playing afyer one hour, that's how mind numbingly dull it is in regards to ANY strategy. Just DL the demo and if you like it fine but with the CE and the DLC that's alot of cash to plunk down on other people's impressions when this game has really become arcadey.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #39
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley79
I'm going back and forth between the 360 version and the PS3 version, simply because I want the better motion experience (I have both Kinect & Move). Let me preface my points about the Kinect by saying I may be dealing with lighting issues, so some of the problems that I'm seeing may have to do with that.

1) I hate the menus in both games. I know it's very early on, but I just can't seem to navigate without having to slow down and think about what I'm trying to do before I move. With the Kinect, remember when to swipe your hands up/down & right/left confuses me, at times. With the Move, I'm getting mixed results (especially in the settings menu).

2)As far as the actual gameplay is concerned, I am leaning more towards the Kinect version (only because I've played it slightly more). The voice controls for the Kinect make it a breeze to maneuver around the course. Pre-swing, the one area in both games that can be problematic is moving the aiming marker. On the Kinect, I like reaching out, closing my hand, and moving the marker around (when it works). No matter what I do, I seem to spend a lot of time trying to move the aim marker on the Move (especially up & down). Changing your stance on the Kinect is very fair, but gives me nothing but headaches on the Move (more experimenting necessary).

3)As far as the actual swing is concerned, I started both using the Pro difficulty and found both very easy to keep shots straight and over-hit very easily. I very rarely hit the rough (or out of bounds) in either game. When I bumped things up to Tour Pro, flaws in my swing started to show. The one common flaw in my swing in both games is that I tend to hook my shots (from right to left). It was nice that the same flaw showed up in both games (especially since that's my real-life flaw). With the Kinect, I'm starting to get better at hitting straight shots (need more time on the Move). The only time I bump up the difficulty to Tournament was using the Kinect, and I was hitting horribly (couldn't keep it straight). Definitely need more work.

4)Tried a few shorter pitch shots on both systems. I had a difficult time getting the distances correct with both systems. Out of 10 short pitches, I felt more comfortable on the Move. More experimenting is necessary before reading too much int this, though.
5) For putting, I had all kinds of problems on both systems. With the Move, I could read the lie but had issues moving the aiming marker. I really didn't have a good feel for distances. Hitting anything less than 6 feet would be an adventure (although, I'm sure I need to lighten up on my putting stroke). With the Kinect, I could not read the lie at all. Every time I'd try to crouch and read the lie, I'd get the looping animation. Basically, I had to just aim the shot and hope my standing view of the lie would suffice. With the distances, I could pretty much use the same strength on my strokes and it would be sufficient. After reading about a putting bug that got into the demo, I'm not going to read too much into the demo's putting game, at the moment. But as of right now, I'd give the slight edge to the Move (for potential).

Being these views are very early, I have not made a final decision on which way I want to go with my pre-order. I only want one, but neither one has jumped out to me, as of yet. I can see the potential in both, but just need more time to familiarize myself with the controls more.
Great post! I can echo everything you say about the Kinect. The menus are awful, I just use a controller for those. Luckily, once on the course, it is a breeze to use your voice and body to golf. It is a lot of fun. Why can't we use voice in the main menu?

I feel your pain on the looping issue when crouching. That's a pretty big bug that hopefully is addressed in the full version.

Overall, I am impressed with my Kinect experience so far. It is not a big deal at all that you stand facing the TV. I was a little concerned about that at first.

Tonight when I played I did not have any issues moving the aiming cursor around. My earlier post mentioned troubles, but not this time.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #40
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
If you really liked TW11 and are willing to listen to me on anything then listen now. PLEASE DL the demo and play it before you spend your money. It is totally different from even TW12, it is basically a game of flick the stick and nothing else. It is about as automated as it can get. I got bored of playing afyer one hour, that's how mind numbingly dull it is in regards to ANY strategy. Just DL the demo and if you like it fine but with the CE and the DLC that's alot of cash to plunk down on other people's impressions when this game has really become arcadey.
If it is so bad, why do you keep coming in here bashing it? Nothing anyone is going to write is going to change your position. You've posted your opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »