Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 to Feature Playoff Holes

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 to Feature Playoff Holes within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 to Feature Playoff Holes

At long last, it appears sudden death playoff holes are now a part of your Tiger Woods PGA Tour events. A collective hallelujah was heard from digital golfers across all corners of the globe in response.

Quote:
For the longest time, a tie was as good as a win in the final round of a Tiger Woods PGA Tour event. The game's career mode did not simulate playoff holes if your golfer finished in a deadlock with one or more others. The tournament simply ended and you still got credit for a victory. But it was a glaring shortcoming, and if it happened in a Major, the lack of closure was almost agonizing.

Well, that changes in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14. Playoffs, in all of their formats—aggregate, sudden death, or the palpable dread of a full 18 holes at the U.S. Open—will be a feature of the game when it releases in March.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 to Feature Playoff Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
WTF?????????????? WOW this years edition is shaping up to be something really special. This was a "MUCH" needed feature as at times I would find myself just playing for the tie. Thanks EA!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Make sure you guys read the whole article, this may not be what you're envisioning it to be...

But it is a very nice thing to finally see in TW.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

The lack of a shot tracer is disappointing (didn't know it was a licensing issue, wow) but having all the playoff formats and having the proper ones used for a specific tourney makes up for it.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Make sure you guys read the whole article, this may not be what you're envisioning it to be...

But it is a very nice thing to finally see in TW.
Yeah, come to find out that even shot tracers, depicting the ball flight of invisible playoff opponents is considered to be a "likeness" of the unseen player.... (sigh). We truly do live in the United States of the Litigious!? We'll playoff against a score that's posted *after* we finish the hole.... better than what we've had for sure, but I'm really shocked that they are legally bound from showing shot tracer arcs of unseen players!!??

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 02-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Yeah, come to find out that even shot tracers, depicting the ball flight - via shot tracers - of invisible playoff opponents is considered to be a "likeness" of the unseen player.... (sigh). We truly do live in the United States of the Litigious!? We'll playoff against a score that's posted *after* we finish the hole.... better than what we've had for sure, but I'm really shocked that they are legally bound from showing shot tracer arcs of unseen players!!??
What they could of did was just mention after each shot what your opponent did. IE: Tiger has hit it 320 yards down the left side of the fairway or Mickelson's 2nd shot has landed on the green 25 feet from the hole.

This workaround at least would have added some tension to the playoff without stepping on any legal toes.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
What they could of did was just mention after each shot what your opponent did. IE: Tiger has hit it 320 yards down the left side of the fairway or Mickelson's 2nd shot has landed on the green 25 feet from the hole.

This workaround at least would have added some tension to the playoff without stepping on any legal toes.
I agree, this would seem like a good compromise. I'll take it for this year, and the licensing aspect sucks, but hopefully they build on this in the coming years.

So they have the PGA license which allows them to use names, but not the PGA players association (if their is one) license? How do other sports games make this work?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Pro

Panicshade's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
I agree, this would seem like a good compromise. I'll take it for this year, and the licensing aspect sucks, but hopefully they build on this in the coming years.

So they have the PGA license which allows them to use names, but not the PGA players association (if their is one) license? How do other sports games make this work?
I believe EA has to negotiate with each individual golfer. It's just like how they have to do the Fight Night series with what boxers make the cut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »