Home

College Athletes Are More Than a Number, Why We Need to Understand That

This is a discussion on College Athletes Are More Than a Number, Why We Need to Understand That within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Rookie

smack23011's Arena

OVR: 0
No NCAA sold EA those rights and NCAA also says what can and cannot be in the game. I blame the NCAA and their monopoly organization that no one seems to see. But I'm not in favor of paying the college athletes either because more than likely their schooling is being paid for.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: College Athletes Are More Than a Number, Why We Need to Understand That

It's much bigger than all of that, and they aren't coming after just EA, EA is just one of the plantiffs along with the NCAA and it's licensing company.

Quote:
The plaintiffs' lawyers said that while they are seeking monetary damages on behalf of former athletes, they "do not seek compensation to be paid to current student-athletes while they maintain their eligibility." Rather, they see a system under which "monies generated by the licensing and sale of class members' names, images and likenesses can be temporarily held in trust" until the end of the college playing careers.

In a case that began in 2009, the plaintiffs allege that the defendants violated anti-trust law by conspiring to fix at zero the amount of compensation athletes can receive for the use of their names, images and likenesses in products or media while they are in school. They additionally allege the athletes are required to sign forms under which they relinquish in perpetuity all rights pertaining to the use of the names, images and likenesses in ways including TV contracts, rebroadcasts of games and video game, jersey and other apparel sales.

Under anti-trust law, the statute of limitations on damages is four years back from the date of filing.

Thus, the athletes' lawyers are seeking a portion of the revenues the NCAA and Division I schools and conferences have gotten from TV contracts and from the licensing and royalties related to video-game sales from 2005 to present. Based on expert analysis, the plaintiffs want a 50-50 split of the revenue for telecasts and a one-third split for video games.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eness/1877031/
Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Pro

wallofhate's Arena

OVR: 8
Is about saying what can make you look betterin court. Of course it's bull who would tell the truth in court to ruin your argument. This is a smaller issue of a bigger problem of colleges using sales of start player on jerseys programs and so on and so forth. Just like the fan five 30 for 30 they were selling "fab five " socks and niked. The universities are getting money by the barrels for players likeness and and they give our scholarships that can be taken away in am instant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofhate
Is about saying what can make you look betterin court. Of course it's bull who would tell the truth in court to ruin your argument. This is a smaller issue of a bigger problem of colleges using sales of start player on jerseys programs and so on and so forth. Just like the fan five 30 for 30 they were selling "fab five " socks and niked. The universities are getting money by the barrels for players likeness and and they give our scholarships that can be taken away in am instant
Added the original link. Apparently while editing it I didn't notice I took the link out accidentally this morning. FIXED!!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Pro

wallofhate's Arena

OVR: 8
I apologize for my spell check and jumping the gun lol
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Clearly they are based on real life counterparts.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: College Athletes Are More Than a Number, Why We Need to Understand That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwhiskey119
O'Bannon and that no talent douche are probably going to hell.
Really? A little far I think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1
I am with OBannon they should get a percentage of profits since we all know they " are in the game". College athletes should not get paid. Free education, Free Room, Free meals is enough. Once they graduate and are in a video game they should get a small stipend from the sale of that game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »