Home

2K Halftime Announcer Damon Bruce in Hot Water Over Rant on Women

This is a discussion on 2K Halftime Announcer Damon Bruce in Hot Water Over Rant on Women within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #129
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20
I read quite a few quotes of what this guy said in his rant--there's a Deadspin article that pulls quite a few of the "good" ones--and he just sounded like a total douchebag. I mean, I respect that everyone has a right to their own opinion and to speak freely, but then you better be ready to own what you say, and this dude definitely spewed some garbage.

That being said, I don't listen to him regularly, have no idea what he's like, and I don't necessarily think he should lose his job over this, though it sounds like he was just suspended for a couple days anyway and made to apologize. If that's how he feels, it's how he feels, he just sounded like an *******.

And here's the Deadspin article with audio of his comments as well as a few excerpted within the article: http://deadspin.com/sports-radio-hos...ant-1460807807

Last edited by Bmore Irish; 11-12-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #130
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: 2K Halftime Announcer Damon Bruce in Hot Water Over Rant on Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Ok you're right... Sensitivity has nothing to do with gender, Women and men are totally identical, Guys can get pregnant, Normal doesn't exist, and oh Santa Claus is real. Ppl so afraid to call something what it is or use their eyeballs... Anyway no need to debate this anymore with you because your premise is totally fantastical to me to pretend that there's zero difference between the genders.
Nobody in this thread has said anything like this yet this stuff is on every page of this thread. Smh.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #131
Pro

OVR: 7

If he's smart he will just get his own show on Youtube or some other media outlet. This model is going to take off in a few years heavy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #132
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR33
As a woman I agree that women should not play in the same league with men, this is precisely why the WNBA was created. There is a pretty big difference in the physicality of men's and women's sports. Nothing wrong with that, just reality. Hell my own father told me that he didn't like women's basketball (even though I played basketball), mostly because they don't dunk like the men.
I disagree with your comment about women aging faster. Injuries affect all athletes. There is one major difference that men never have to deal with, which is having children. This can stall a woman's career or even prompt an early retirement. I think that the reason a lot more men are not as interested in women's sports - particularly basketball - is because woman focus a lot more on fundamentals and men are more flashy, entertainers. I'm not saying that men don't hone their fundamental skills, but if we're being honest most look to entertain and get noticed more so than they look to be fundamentally correct. Just look at all of the traveling and carrying that occurs in men's basketball. I prefer college basketball to pro basketball & pro football to college football. I like all 4 sports, but that's my opinion and what I like. I don't have a problem with someone not liking a sport for their own personal reasons, but that's no excuse for overly disrespectful as Bruce was. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but it can be shared without being an ******* about it. Also, I agree with Taer that 2K should use this opportunity to redo the halftime show.
What you said is one of the reasons I believe women age faster when it comes strictly to contact sport. I'm not talking about actual age, but "sport age" I believe a woman in her late 20s in the WNBA is equivalent to a man in his mid 30s in the nba. I've watched WNBA and tried to follow it for a few years when it came back. You hear more about these college phenoms when they are actually in college.

I don't think men are interested in the wnba, simply because its boring. There is complacency in the wnba. More so, women are just happy to be there as a league. Sure, you have some great individual players, but the talent pool is limited in terms of elite pro players.(aka women that could "hang" with the guys)I see it when I attempt to watch the games, vs college when the girls are more hungry and more athletic to prove their stock.

also, due to preg --What if a woman got pregnant during the season? In a mixed league? The only time when you see a guy out 9months is due to an ACL or Achilles injury. I don't think investors or players, or deep rooted fans are going to be happy if their star player is out because she got pregnant(especially if it was unplanned and in a irresponsible way)

My suggestion for making the wnba fun is to lower the rim. You said people love the excitement of the game. Women will be able to dunk and catch alleys like nothing. I'm not saying lower dramatically, maybe one feet or a couple of inches from where its at now. Also, allow more physical play, wnba/nba too many ticky tack fouls. Offer better incentives for playoff and title teams. In the nba, each time you advance in a round, you get a bonus dividend among the team. if the wnba has that, make the earnings bigger. it gives your players more incentive to play harder in the po season.

and stop marketing it as a feminist empowering league for women. That's a huge turn off. the nba isn't marketed as a macho man league. We don't say the nba is for tough guys or flash around that its for guys in the way the wnba markets its way for women. if you want your league to be popular, include men in the demographic market. Make the market androgynous.

Also, this may be contradictory to what I said, but I don't like men coaching all women team either. More prominent women coaches need to be in the nba. It looks weird when an old white dude is coaching a young team and hogging all the glory sometimes. I don't like that, its the wnba they should open more opportunity to women. Its not a big problem of mine, its rather minor if the team is having success. I don't know why kobe's dad had an opportunity to coach a sparks team to me, that was weird. Couldn't they found a woman to do it? someone that was capable and able to relate to the locker room? Why kobe's dad? He didn't train kobe to what he is now.

Last edited by yungflo; 11-13-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #133
Rookie

OVR: 0

i dont read papers written by people called lieberman
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #134
Pro

imdahman's Arena

OVR: 6

Can't let things like this slide. Complacency breeds prejudice. We live in a society and time where we're trying so hard to put our past intolerance and bigotry behind us. It requires us as a people to be vigilant and not let things like his rant slide.

"The two most important days in your
life are the day you are born and the day
you find out why.”

- Mark Twain
Old 11-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #135
Rookie

I mean, he only said stuff that most people feel. Hell, almost every stand-up comic has funny stuff to say about the WNBA. But......, he isn't in the correct position to speak out against it. At all. Idiot..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #136
Rookie

Radio Stations instruct their hosts to push the envelope. They get better ratings and thus more revenue by pushing that envelope.
And then, as soon as there's any kind of controversy, The owners of those stations throw their talent, that they encouraged to be outrageous in the first place, under the bus.
Here's the kicker... Most of these hosts are owed money after they're fired. They have contracts.
The also probably have Non Compete clauses which prohibits them from gaining employment for several months.
Let alone that the stations find ways not to honor their end of the contracts, The Program Directors and Sales Staff maintain a delusional notion that somehow THEY are responsible for the Stations Success.
It's no wonder Radio is dying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »