Home

Full Spreadsheet of Madden NFL 16 Player Ratings Available Now

This is a discussion on Full Spreadsheet of Madden NFL 16 Player Ratings Available Now within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #105
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Full Spreadsheet of Madden NFL 16 Player Ratings Available Now

These rosters are going to need some work. Most things look pretty decent, but, just like everybody else said, the speed ratings are awful. Looks like the minimum speed threshold this year is going to have to be relatively high. I'd rather everybody be near the same playing field in terms of speed as opposed to linebackers catching receivers from behind every time they get free.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2015, 05:36 AM   #106
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Still not understanding Desean Jackson's rating, no he's not an Eagle anymore, but he is LITERALLY the fastest player in the NFL...I have never in my whole life seen him caught from behind. 92 speed? Stop it, these ratings are asinine.
You know you're not supposed to use "literally", (let alone in ALL CAPS) when something is literally not correct, right?

Desean's 40-time (via nfl.com) is 4.35 which basically puts him way behind Perriman's 4.24, for example.

Back on topic though, and without getting into the whole "game speed" discussion... at least it seems EA is trying to find a consistent method to producing these ratings (albeit the yet unexplained age regression formula)

SIDE NOTE: Mario Alford's combine time from nfl.com is 4.43 but somehow he's the fastest player in the game.... SO MUCH FOR "CONSISTENT METHOD" hehe

But nah, DeSean Jackson is not the fastest player in the NFL.... The most explosive/dynamic, probably... Wish Madden had a proper way of representing this
Old 08-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #107
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Still not understanding Desean Jackson's rating, no he's not an Eagle anymore, but he is LITERALLY the fastest player in the NFL...I have never in my whole life seen him caught from behind. 92 speed? Stop it, these ratings are asinine.
I wouldn't say he is the fastest in the NFL but a 92 does seem kind of low for him.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #108
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
You know you're not supposed to use "literally", (let alone in ALL CAPS) when something is literally not correct, right?

Desean's 40-time (via nfl.com) is 4.35 which basically puts him way behind Perriman's 4.24, for example.

Back on topic though, and without getting into the whole "game speed" discussion... at least it seems EA is trying to find a consistent method to producing these ratings (albeit the yet unexplained age regression formula)

SIDE NOTE: Mario Alford's combine time from nfl.com is 4.43 but somehow he's the fastest player in the game.... SO MUCH FOR "CONSISTENT METHOD" hehe

But nah, DeSean Jackson is not the fastest player in the NFL.... The most explosive/dynamic, probably... Wish Madden had a proper way of representing this

DeSean isn't the fastest or most dynamic player in the NFL. He doesn't like physicality, and he can only run 3 routes with confidence. I get his speed is low, but TEs beat him in receiving, he was barely top 15 in 20+ yard catches.

Anyways, they screwed the pooch on these speed ratings lol. Going to be fun watching rookie LBs cover the top 5 WRs in the NFL.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #109
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Quote:

Another guy that doesn't understand that 40 times in shorts mean literally nothing in the NFL Desean Jackson is a top 1 or 2 fastest player in the league with Mike Wallace, period.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #110
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon46
Exactly !

Tweeted on Aug 4th as pertaining to speed ratings in Madden 16

Donny Moore@Donny_Moore Aug 4 all based off real world 40 time data now. With age-regression built in.

DCEBB2001 Posted this about speed regression in another thread.....

" I have done a lot of analysis on that, and guys who have been hurt will drop, but on the average, a player with a 15 year career will only drop about a tenth in the 40. I have data to support this. A guy like Donald Driver started out at a 4.45 in 1999 and was only at 4.56 in 2011. These guys don't drop off as much as some would like us to believe. "

....Now 4.45 to 4.56 does not sound like much, but in Madden's rating scale, that is about 6 speed points. So a player would go from a 89 to a 83 in this example.
First of all, 40 times should never equate to the SPD rating of a player. Madden uses the maximum velocity of a player to determine the SPD rating. ACC is the time it takes for a player to reach his maximum velocity.

That being said, IF they did use the 40 time to equate to SPD, and used the entirety of the scale from 99 to 1 with a linear regression, The threshold for a 90 would be a 4.37. A player who runs a 4.45 would have a SPD of 86. If he fell to a 4.56, his SPD would only drop 5 points to an 81 over the course of 10 seasons.

In the case of Driver which I exemplified earlier, his first drop in speed didn't occur until after his 9th season, and that drop was only 0.02 seconds on his 40. This would have dropped him one point after 9 completed seasons.

The point I am getting it, no matter the method EA uses, is that the drop off in SPD for players is less significant and takes more time to occur than what EA would have us believe.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 08-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #111
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
I'm all for reduced speed..but I'm a touch concerned.."disclaimer I'm a die hard Eagles fan"...but who on earth is Lane Johnson almost as fast as Larry Fitzgerald ?...there are some suspect numbers...MeSean is likely top 5 fastest player in the league but some how he is running between 4.5-4.4? I'm getting these numbers from the slider scale they (EA) put together for an article no more then a few months ago...by their scale Larry Fitzgerald runs now in the 4.7 range? Larry isn't the fastest guy but that seems off...dan u have any numbers to either tell me I'm wrong or right?
First of all, I have all ready debunked that entire article about how Madden players are rated. They didn't give us the correct formulas for calculating the OVRs, so I would take that entire thing with a huge grain of salt.

I have Jackson right now at the same 4.35 that he ran in 2008. He hasn't dropped off yet.

For Fitz, he posted a 4.48 in 2004 and has dropped to a 4.58. The first drop to 4.54 occurred in 2013. The drop to 4.58 occurred this year. If we used 40 times, which again, we shouldn't, his speed would have gone from an 85 to an 80 assuming EA uses the entire scale and uses all players that have posted a time since 1996. Big assumptions there, but that is what SHOULD happen if that is the case.
NFL Scout

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #112
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
I think the biggest issue is nobody knows how they re-rate SPD based on age. If they gave an explanation to how this was calculated, then I reckon much would be clarified.

I did a google search (very quick one! before some people bust in to correct/scold the finding) and found this projections for Brent Grimes

40 Low: 4.47 40 Time: 4.57 40 High: 4.68 (via nfldraftscout.com)

Now that's from his rookie year and going by the spreadsheet a 40-time of 4.57 would approximately result in a SPD around the 84-87 range... Russell Wilson, for example, has a SPD of 86 with a 40-time of 4.55 (from nfl.com)... I assume since Russ is still quite young, his SPD rating is still being solely based on 40 time without devaluation from age so......

Brent Grimes is now 32 years old... what calculation/formula made him drop to 81 SPD from his original (approx) SPD of 86?

For reference: Other players with 81 SPD in M16 and their actual 40 times.
Xzavier Dickson (rookie for NE)....... 4.74 (via nfl.com)
Frank Gore (veteran over 30).......... 40 Low: 4.48 40 Time: 4.58 40 High: 4.69
Antonio Allen (young safety for NYJ)..... 4.67 (via nfl.com)

Two things:
1) funny how two young players around the same age group with 0.7 difference in 40-times end up with the same SPD rating

2) It seems there is some sort of "logic" to the SPD devaluation from age since both Gore and Grimes are the same age and had approximately the same 40 time in their rookie seasons and both now have 81 sped.
Good post.

The big thing here is that most of the drops don't occur for these players until they get at least 8-9 seasons into the league. It isn't a constant regression. It's more like a change followed by a plateau, followed by another small change, followed by another plateau.

I mentioned Driver in other posts, so I made this graphic so people could see it. I made a rational regression with an R-Squared value of 0.90 and as you can see the trend line is pretty flat in the beginning. Driver doesn't hit 4.46 (a change of 0.01 seconds in his 40) until his 7th season. The changes increase from there, but it isn't like he ever goes from one season to the next with a huge drop.

x f(x)
1 4.45
2 4.45
3 4.45
4 4.45
5 4.45
6 4.45
7 4.46
8 4.47
9 4.48
10 4.49
11 4.51
12 4.52
13 4.53
14 4.55
15 4.57
16 4.58
17 4.60
18 4.62
19 4.64
20 4.66

I too think that EA is using some sort of regression model, but I don't think that they are using one that is correct. I think it could be done better and modeled after better data, but that's my take.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver.JPG (33.1 KB, 96 views)
NFL Scout

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »