Home

NHL 2018 Off-Season Thread

This is a discussion on NHL 2018 Off-Season Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #89

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 2018 Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Matthews didn't even break the top-200 for PP time.
To be fair, he did miss 20 games. He played 133 minutes of powerplay in his 62 games. Average that out for even 80 games and he'd be 4th on the Leafs.

The highest Leaf didn't even crack 190 minutes(or top 125 ranking in the NHL). Part of that reasoning being that they had fewest PP opportunities in the conference, other part being that they run 2 PP lines(compared to a team like Washington where the Ovechkin line would be out for at least 75% of that PP).

That's also a reason they need a true top line dman. They don't have any dman who can just go out there for almost 2 minutes at a time in those crucial situations.

Aside from the Tavares talk, I'm hoping Thornton is plan B for the Leafs. Came close to coming here last year, and if he doesn't stay with the Sharks, Marleau could be enough to convince him to come here. Matthews-Thornton-Kadri down the middle sounds real nice as well.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #90
All Star

rdnk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Sharks get a prospect,2nd,4th and two 5ths for a prospect,3rd liner,6th,7th! How could Sens NOT deal him to the Panthers for that? Rather than getting multiple draft picks, they take on a 4M 3rd liner for next 2 years! Apparently it's because their GM didn't want to deal Hoffman within the division. Like that makes a difference? You're rebuilding! Who cares if a team in your division gets better for a season or two.
Sens aren't rebuilding until after next year. They don't have their 2019 pick, unless they give up 4th OVA to Colorado, which is silly. We went down that road when the Isles traded for Vanek; they kept the 5th OVA, made some moves, and were a playoff team the following year and gave up that pick.

The trade is strange; they could have shipped Hoffman to Florida, and then traded for Boedker in a different deal if they really wanted him. Boedker's salary is 1M per year less than his cap hit, and with 2 years left on his deal, they can ship him out next offseason. It is also possible that the scout team is in love with Bergman and they value him over the picks.

As far as Montreal is concerned, I've stopped trying to figure out what Bergevin is trying to do.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #91

Majingir's Arena

Funny (and true) line I heard about this trade. In a 3 team deal, the Sens finished 4th.

The reason....apparently the Sens might actually give the Avs the 4th pick. It's a big risk, but if the Sens know they're dealing Karlsson, might as well do it. If Sens with Karlsson and Hoffman this year finished where they did, imagine where they'd be next year without either.

Last edited by Majingir; 06-19-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #92
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Heard on XM that Bylsma is likely heading to Detroit.
Let's hope so.

Quote:
To be fair, he did miss 20 games. He played 133 minutes of powerplay in his 62 games. Average that out for even 80 games and he'd be 4th on the Leafs.

The highest Leaf didn't even crack 190 minutes(or top 125 ranking in the NHL). Part of that reasoning being that they had fewest PP opportunities in the conference, other part being that they run 2 PP lines(compared to a team like Washington where the Ovechkin line would be out for at least 75% of that PP).
All true, but it doesn't excuse putting Matthews on the 2nd PP unit.
And there were multiple games where the Leafs were down a goal with less than 4 minutes left, on the PP, and Matthews is on the bench.
Babcock wants to believe he's the only reason the team wins.
But the truth is he, and most other coaches, are only responsible for losses.
Babcock is the main reason the Leafs were beat in the 1st round.
Just the fact that he continued to put Polak out there in shutdown situations is laughable.
Babcock will go out of his way to do the opposite of what the media and fans want from him.
I swear, if he was coaching the 84 Oilers he'd have Gretzky, Kurri, Messier and Anderson all on 4 separate lines.
He'd then give Gretz 18 minutes a night, put him on the 2nd PP unit and when they lost he'd complain that the players didn't compete hard enough.
Meanwhile, Dave Semenko would be the top line centre because "he's a real pro".
Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #93
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
The trade is strange; they could have shipped Hoffman to Florida, and then traded for Boedker in a different deal if they really wanted him. Boedker's salary is 1M per year less than his cap hit, and with 2 years left on his deal, they can ship him out next offseason. It is also possible that the scout team is in love with Bergman and they value him over the picks.
Supposedly not trading Hoffman within the division was an edict from Melnyk.

It just astonishes me that there are 3 Canadian franchises more incompetent than the Canucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 06-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #94
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Here I shall paraphrase Don Cherry's thoughts on Hoffman/Karlsson:

"Hoffman is a good Ontario boy from Kitchener, and he's the victim here. The media is to blame for everything. Nothing should ever be reported unless someone is convicted of a crime."
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #95
All Star

rdnk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Heard on XM that Bylsma is likely heading to Detroit.
Let's hope so.
Already setting Blashill up for the axe.

Frk was non-tendered by the Wings. I hope they use the roster space productively. Apparently Mike Green has a 1 year and a 2 year offer on the table from the Wings. As much as I like Green, for the Wings' sake, I hope Green passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #96
MVP

Hockeynut99's Arena

OVR: 0

I am the only one shocked that Hall won the Hart? And I wish the Sharks kept Hoffman!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »