Home

Every basket is a swish now

This is a discussion on Every basket is a swish now within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2024, 10:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Every basket is a swish now

Seems like every shoot is nothing but net, if it touches the rim it's a miss.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2024, 08:12 AM   #2
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Re: Every basket is a swish now

I just really noticed this in 2K24. I have been playing a lot of College Hoops 2K7 recently. I started up a new legacy and am just playing through on default. I noticed that usually, if the ball hits the rim it bounces around and usually misses. If its a make it swishes. I am back on College Hoops 2K8 now and it is insane how many ways the ball can bounce around and still go in. CH2K8 ball/rim physics are so damn organic; it makes rebounding a challenge and rewarding. Back to 2K24, I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the under the hood make/miss shooting with greens. I play with real player shooting but I know its all the same system.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2024, 10:03 AM   #3
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah the hoop and rim interaction is not totally physics based for sure. You almost never see the ball bounce around the rim and drop and when you do it looks like an animation that you see repeatedly. it's not a natural bounce. Or when the ball gets on the back of the rim and unnaturally rolls off.

This whole greens win thing seems to have forced them to adjust basket physics. I'd love to see a true 100% physics interaction with the rim where you saw a larger variety of bounces (shooters touch anyone) and you don't know if the shot is going to drop.

I think the other thing is that the shooting system also makes it so basically 1/2 court or long buzzer beaters don't seem to go in. I haven't seen a 1/2 court or 3/4 court shot go in for years. Just by random luck the 3/4 court should drop now and again even if just 1 or 2 times a season and the ones at 1/2 court or just over should go in more frequently. As is I haven't seen one in a long time.

I read in another post about someone playing saying that guys are shooting 70+ as a team from three in their online league. All because of the stupid perfects always go in. It's either deal with the crap or don't play anymore.

Which was the last 2k to not have perfects ? Was it 2k16 ? Where you had a better chance but you could still miss wide open perfect shots, kind of like real basketball.

I like Czar and have appreciated his interaction even before he was with 2k but his don't play video games, play basketball saying becomes less true every year.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:33 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
Yeah the hoop and rim interaction is not totally physics based for sure. You almost never see the ball bounce around the rim and drop and when you do it looks like an animation that you see repeatedly. it's not a natural bounce. Or when the ball gets on the back of the rim and unnaturally rolls off.

This whole greens win thing seems to have forced them to adjust basket physics. I'd love to see a true 100% physics interaction with the rim where you saw a larger variety of bounces (shooters touch anyone) and you don't know if the shot is going to drop.

I think the other thing is that the shooting system also makes it so basically 1/2 court or long buzzer beaters don't seem to go in. I haven't seen a 1/2 court or 3/4 court shot go in for years. Just by random luck the 3/4 court should drop now and again even if just 1 or 2 times a season and the ones at 1/2 court or just over should go in more frequently. As is I haven't seen one in a long time.

I read in another post about someone playing saying that guys are shooting 70+ as a team from three in their online league. All because of the stupid perfects always go in. It's either deal with the crap or don't play anymore.

Which was the last 2k to not have perfects ? Was it 2k16 ? Where you had a better chance but you could still miss wide open perfect shots, kind of like real basketball.

I like Czar and have appreciated his interaction even before he was with 2k but his don't play video games, play basketball saying becomes less true every year.
I've been playing a lot of 2k24 lately and this entire issue of no rim physics has been a glaring problem for me.

I think it's as simple as the release window dictating what you need in a good shot (release, rotation, arc, etc.). Once the ball has left the player's hands, it's all physics based from there. Long ball off the middle of the rim could come off hard for a long rebound, or maybe it'll bounce vertically then off another part of the rim.

In my opinion, every sports game needs to have physics based reactions that add infinite replayability to the sport. Tackling in football games should be 100% physics based, and that's a train I've been on for a long time, but when it comes to basketball, a 100% physics based basketball shooting system would add a suspense to every single shot, regardless of how open or defended the shot is.

In its current form, the second the ball hits the rim, the suspense is over. And in a game based around whether the ball goes in or not, eliminating such a huge area of suspense is an absolute shame. Especially because we have the hardware to both make physics based shooting a reality but for it also to be executed at a high level.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:00 PM   #5
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by z.arthur23

In its current form, the second the ball hits the rim, the suspense is over. And in a game based around whether the ball goes in or not, eliminating such a huge area of suspense is an absolute shame. Especially because we have the hardware to both make physics based shooting a reality but for it also to be executed at a high level.
This part right here. When I play actual basketball and I take a shot sometimes everything feels perfect and I still miss. Or I'll throw up a prayer and I'll get a roll that I'll laugh at because that shot had no real reason to go in. This is not something that happens in 2k. It definitely takes some of the fun out the game knowing that certain shots you know will never go in, even on real fg% there are certain times you know it's not going in. Shots thrown up as the shot clock expires and you put up a fade to get it over the hand of the defender who is smothering you. That shot will never go in in 2k.

At the end of the day we really have to just remind ourselves it's a video game and not a basketball simulator and in video games most people want outcomes that they know with certainty can be repeated every time, the same way. I mean I've seen teams in real life throw up a prayer and win a game on a shot that realistically have almost no chance of going in. But that's is where I have the disconnect. Most people don't want realism, they want to "win" the game. And randomness might take that out of their hands. That being said, I don't disagree with your physics points and would prefer true physics based rim interaction.

Last edited by cch99; 01-23-2024 at 02:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2024, 02:16 PM   #6
Rookie

Someone pointed this out to me earlier, and it's honestly very noticeable and kinda annoying lol. You can't ignore it once someone brings it to your attention. I wonder if they would bother patching it, because lord knows I'd be super persistent if they could fix it.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:18 PM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

They patched make variety into the game last year after complaints that there were too many swishes. Shot timing (greens) has no impact on this.

Not sure what happened this year though, Seems like a design choice.

It feels like they may have tried something around the end of season 2 because for about a week the rim/net wouldn’t move at all. Purely speculation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM   #8
Pro

I find lowering user shot timing can help with getting a few more "rim" makes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »